Kerbin Geographic And Science Society

togfox

This might just be the most prominent feature on the Mun. So I feel pretentious attempting to name it. I\'ll understand if anyone disagrees with me; it can go to a poll.

I propose we call this Jeb\'s Landing, because the canyon looks like an enormous skid mark or horizontal impact. If this were a real impact site, the scale of the destruction would be worthy of the famous pilot\'s enormous ego! ;)

Jeb%27s%20Landing2.png

0° 57\' N, 129° 38\' W, or

+0.965°, -129.638° if you prefer decimals.

This image is looking south west at the highest point in the area: elevation 2,968m.

Here\'s one. I call it, 'Mt. Craw.' in remembrance of the famous controversial character from the old Get Smart TV show.

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=11388.0;attach=19066;image

It is the mountain in the background. It can be seen from coordinates

1(degree) 19\' 22'

285 (degree) 0\' 58'

I tried hunting for this, but the 285 degree is very strange as it should be between 0 and 180. I tried to normalised by subtracting 180 and adding a minus sign but the locations while similar didn\'t have the correct rocks.

This might just be the most prominent feature on the Mun. So I feel pretentious attempting to name it. I\'ll understand if anyone disagrees with me; it can go to a poll.

I propose we call this Jeb\'s Landing, because the canyon looks like an enormous skid mark or horizontal impact. If this were a real impact site, the scale of the destruction would be worthy of the famous pilot\'s enormous ego! ;)

Jeb%27s%20Landing2.png

0° 57\' N, 129° 38\' W, or

+0.965°, -129.638° if you prefer decimals.

This image is looking south west at the highest point in the area: elevation 2,968m.

I like it. I haven\'t plucked up the courage yet to suggest we call the bay near the KSC 'Booster Bay', mainly because I am not sure if I came up with it or read it somewhere, most likely the latter.

Name: Decided by poll

Nominated names: Booster Bay, Malfunction Bay

Latitude: 1o 2\' 9\'\' N

Longitude: 74o 51\' 1\'\' W

Altitude: 0 - sea level

Celestial Body: Kerbin

screenshot29sf.png
Edited by Rich

I haven\'t plucked up the courage yet to suggest we call the bay near the KSC 'Booster Bay', mainly because I am not sure if I came up with it or read it somewhere, most likely the latter.

Well, even if it is someone else\'s idea, all you\'ll be doing is helping them implement it.

Second proposed name for the area temporarily labelled Booster Bay: Malfunction Bay.

It didn\'t exist until after the first few launch attempts; Jeb was particularly pleased with that explosion.

Second proposed name for the area temporarily labelled Booster Bay: Malfunction Bay.

It didn\'t exist until after the first few launch attempts; Jeb was particularly pleased with that explosion.

Updated the other post to include this suggestion

I would like to propose a name for this crater here:

screenshot557.png

screenshot558.png

On the Mun at:

1° 26\' 54' S

2° 50\' 52' W

Suggested name: Tantalus Crater

Reason: Landed in it searching for the elusive monolith... Nothing there.

That crater is probably small and obscure enough (no offense) to not need a poll.

I\'m hoping someone will produce a map with all these names on it. I can do the mun pretty quickly. I\'ll see if I can do kerbin later on.

Name: Tantalus Crater

Latitude: 1� 26\' 54' S

Longitude: 2� 50\' 52' W

Altitude: 685m

Celestial body: Mun

screenshot37l.png
Edited by Rich

Here are the three named Mun features so far. In the north, the west and center. The * means the name is not final. The ® means the name applies to the region. I would expect this map to get very busy with lots of little labels all over the place over time. My map has a few white patches - these will go away over time.

The map may look small when embedded in the post but the attached image should be full size.

KGSMunSites.jpg

KGSMunSites3D.jpg

Nominated names: Lac-en-Vert,

Northern Hemisphere, Kerbin

Latitude: 50 33\' 28' N

Longitude: 185 14\' 14' W

Altitude: 0 - sea level

Comments: Large inland lake

Directions: Fly heading ~140 degrees from KSP

So someone remind me how I got a longitude > 180 degrees (see screenshot)? It seems Kerbin breaks the laws of longitude. >:(

So someone remind me how I got a longitude > 180 degrees (see screenshot)? It seems Kerbin breaks the laws of longitude. >:(

The game engine quite happily accepts longitude and latitude defined from from 0o to infinityo. Higher numbers just wrap it around the planet.

So this is probably just a bug where the game doesn\'t flip the output to 179oE, when passing over the 180oE/W reference point, and instead uses 181oW

That said, I might be able to find Mt. Craw now.

I only recently got the RAM Satellite, and I was wondering how you all make those great maps! I would like to contribute to this thread as well with locations and names soon. So, could anyone tell me how to such detailed maps?

The Bay of Taheireaz is being named Booster Bay? *Seppuku*

Yes, i feel there is a noticeable difference between the GD goers and roleplayers such as myself.

This is considered a region, so it will go to poll when enough suggestions have been made, currently we have 'Booster Bay' and 'Malfunction Bay'. I can add 'Bay of Taheireaz' to the list of nominated names if you like?

I only recently got the RAM Satellite, and I was wondering how you all make those great maps! I would like to contribute to this thread as well with locations and names soon. So, could anyone tell me how to such detailed maps?

I look forward to your name suggestions :D, break out all the exploration vehicles!

Here are the three named Mun features so far. In the north, the west and center. The * means the name is not final. The ® means the name applies to the region. I would expect this map to get very busy with lots of little labels all over the place over time. My map has a few white patches - these will go away over time.

The map may look small when embedded in the post but the attached image should be full size.

KGSMunSites.jpg

KGSMunSites3D.jpg

How did you get that 3D one?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.