what kind of space memorabilia do you have

Tristonwilson12

I've got a few things. Mission patches, etc. Some Shuttle Program commemorative medallions that contain space-flown metal. Chunks of concrete from a few buildings at JSC. A set of engineering drawings from Shuttle, including the panels from the pre-glassification of the cockpit. A few other odds and ends.

At my parents' house, there's quite a bit more. Pieces of shuttle tile, things encased in plastic (including a piece of the red stripe from one of the shuttle commander's space suit), assorted bits of electronics, half of one of the nuts from an SRB hold-down bolt, an assortment of things Dad brought back from the USSR during his Apollo-Soyuz work, autographs, a few small space-flown flags, and piles of other stuff.

The coolest thing that I have is a 20 year anniversary Apollo 11 poster. I also have some mission coins from when I visited KSC. I have a ton of posters. Mostly of the Shuttles but also one of Saturn V. I also have some mission patches.

My dad has a ton of stuff. A lot of it is from the early years of Orion, when he was a Deputy Project Manager.

Though its kinda unrelated, I was at the launch of the final Space Shuttle.

The coolest thing that I have is a 20 year anniversary Apollo 11 poster. I also have some mission coins from when I visited KSC. I have a ton of posters. Mostly of the Shuttles but also one of Saturn V. I also have some mission patches.

My dad has a ton of stuff. A lot of it is from the early years of Orion, when he was a Deputy Project Manager.

Though its kinda unrelated, I was at the launch of the final Space Shuttle.

i was also at the final launch im almost at every launch

Edited by Tristonwilson12

I've got a few things. Mission patches, etc. Some Shuttle Program commemorative medallions that contain space-flown metal. Chunks of concrete from a few buildings at JSC. A set of engineering drawings from Shuttle, including the panels from the pre-glassification of the cockpit. A few other odds and ends.

At my parents' house, there's quite a bit more. Pieces of shuttle tile, things encased in plastic (including a piece of the red stripe from one of the shuttle commander's space suit), assorted bits of electronics, half of one of the nuts from an SRB hold-down bolt, an assortment of things Dad brought back from the USSR during his Apollo-Soyuz work, autographs, a few small space-flown flags, and piles of other stuff.

i really need to get more stuf.

lol

Damn.....I wish I lived next to Houston.......I live in china and there's no chance of getting anything from the space center. But I do have a huge box of papermodels (mostly spacecraft)

lol, ever heard of planning a vacation abroad? You could plan a trip to the space center by taking a vacation!

Books, maps, and photographs, mostly. I have a bunch of science reports from various missions, several surveyor missions, Magellan, Viking, a few books about astrogeology, and a range of maps from the USGS of different bodies, Mars, Io, several satellites of Saturn, Mercury, the Moon et cetera. Some of them are global maps, and some are smaller regions. I also have some photographs from space missions, several prints that were made of Lunar Orbiter V images when they were new, and the same for other planets and moons.

Some of it is fairly generic, in that it is only a copy of a book or map or photo. But some of them are interesting in their being the property of a particular individual; I have Eugene Shoemaker's copy of the Surveyor VI Preliminary Report, for instance. Just about all of these I received for free.

Here's something else I have that may be of interest. On several occasions I was lucky enough to work with some educational packs that NASA issue that contain samples of moon rocks, including thin sections for examining with a petrological microscope. For those of you who don't know, thin sections are slices of rock cut to a thickness of 30 microns so the crystals become largely transparent. By using cross polarised light (which produces vivid colours) they can be examined in detail to determine their mineralogy. I took photos of the thin sections through the microscope and here are some of them:

Apollo 16 anorthosite

ncjukh.jpg

Apollo 12 basalt:

16bh7at.jpg

Apollo 17 coarse grained basalt/gabbro:

r0pf7n.jpg

Micro breccias in regolith. Bonus points for those who can see the face of Stan Marsh in it:

15zh0fn.jpg

And finally, the famous orange soil from Apollo 17

2wcl0mh.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.