One does not simply... add moar boosters.

Or maybe one does...

To cut a long story short, I've been looking for a way to launch my extra-wide 20-tonne Mun Truck for a while. By the way, I'm playing a FAR career game on a tight budget. It's waaaay too wide to fit in a Mk3 spaceplane, and any attempt to slap it on top of a rocket, even a very big one, ended in disaster. Waaay too top-heavy, or top-draggy rather (which tends to make your rocket want to fly backwards in FAR).

So in despair, and for Science, I sandwiched the offending hardware between four of the biggest boosters the game has to offer. I added a couple of deluxe winglets, more for peace of mind than out of real conviction that my ploy might actually work. Then I hit Launch.... Guess what happened next...

tNQH27D.png

Nice staging...

umzOql0.png

And an apoapsis of nearly 250 klicks; one huge circularization later I was ready to re-fuel and head off to rove the Mun...

nSzHmEP.png

Share your booster-related stories!

UA:D

Nice ship, but why are the landing legs on radial decouplers?
Probably just to get a wider stance. I've used that decoupler in a similar way, just to get a part further away from the fuselage/body without intending on ever decoupling it.

It also lets you drop the weight of the legs when you take off, but that's usually not much of a saving.

Yea, I was never a fan of SRBs- until limited funds came into effect! My small rocket designs in career mode now frequently use SRBs for the ENTIRE thrust of the first stage, and sometimes even for the second stage too. I even have one small rocket that uses SRBs for the first THREE stages (it's actually a four stage rocket, and the first stage is kinda inefficient with a low TWR, but SRBs are so cheap it doesn't matter). It makes getting into space very cheap. This is especially true for those "put a satellite in an specific orbit around _____" contracts.

Yea, I was never a fan of SRBs- until limited funds came into effect! My small rocket designs in career mode now frequently use SRBs for the ENTIRE thrust of the first stage, and sometimes even for the second stage too. I even have one small rocket that uses SRBs for the first THREE stages (it's actually a four stage rocket, and the first stage is kinda inefficient with a low TWR, but SRBs are so cheap it doesn't matter). It makes getting into space very cheap. This is especially true for those "put a satellite in an specific orbit around _____" contracts.

Like this...

screenshot478_zps203f6dad.png

screenshot467_zps28269ad3.jpg

Full demo at http://s1378.photobucket.com/user/craigmotbey/Kerbal/Beta/Kerbodyne%20Showroom/Satshot/story

Edited by Wanderfound

Non-traditional SRB use

Just posted this elsewhere, but what the hell. Needed sepratrons, while trying to make do with as few parts as possible. I don't know if it's really non-traditional, but I certainly like the looks:

sepratron.jpg

This experimental Kerb Fu design uses two stages of gunpowder rockets, then the large Whale Oil stage to orbit and head for Mun, Minmus, or Duna and return.

BBw0Pbk.jpg

In orbit

44M6ydW.jpg

Ready to land on Minmus

WrUXP1l.jpg

Landed where even the lower stage survived.

QJiUnwL.jpg

Stock SRBs can be mixed and tweaked to give onion staging with an ideal TWR. With an extra SAS and fins, you can get a good start on an orbital turn before they burn out.

That's a really excessive lower stage for career mode just to get to the Mun and Minmus. Explains why that Mun-transfer stage was still practically full in Mun orbit.

You can get to Minmus, land and come back with that capsule AND Materials Bay plus 2 Goo Containers (all of which capable of safely landing back on Kerbin) for about 16k in parts.

Consider using 4 boosters instead of 3, staged to drop in pairs (just set them up with different thrust percentages) and getting rid of that triple engine lower stage core for a single line of engine + fuel tanks. In fact, if I remember correctly you can even use BACCs instead of those S1 SRB-KD25ks.

As it is, it looks like you're spending a ton of fuel and credits to get a large middle stage (with 3 engines and several half-full fuel tanks) into orbit and then a near-full transit stage to Mun orbit.

Just try and send something ridiculously small to Minmus and back: it takes all of 2x RT-10, 1 LV-909 and 1 FL-T400 to put in orbit a probe capable of going to Minmus, landing and getting back WITHOUT ion engines. Grow from there. That mk1 command pod is just 0.6t heavier than the probe and doesn't require that much ship to go anywhere in the Kerbin area.

Edited by Acet
Misplaced parentesis

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.