[WIP] [1.12.x] Roster Manager - 0.3.0.1 KSP 1.12.x Compatibility Edition - 13 Feb 2022

Papa_Joe

Hey all,

I'm compiling the list of features and putting together a requirements doc now. Should be out in a day or so. From there, I'll start working on a mock up of what I think the layout needs to be, based on what I'm planning on doing. Could be one window or a few depending on what makes sense.

I'm thinking this is something that could be available in the Astronaut complex and in the Space center. Don't think we will need it in flight, except maybe for the notes section. I'll work that out as I start to get my head around what works.

I'll post those things here and then we can begin discussions on the final product.

Hi

Just wondering: How does this interact with the stock difficulty setting of adding funds cost to hiring new kerbals?

Also, is this a Kerbal Incubator :confused:?

I haven't expored the interactions yet, but intend to.

Not sure what you mean by a kerbal Incubator.. please explain. It may well be.

Roster Manager

• Roster list - From the Roster list, you can select the kerbal to manage

• Personnel File (career file) - This is where all management functions will reside. In the personnel file we can manage:

o Salaries - Kerbals don’t work for free, so some cost for each kerbal should exist. We will pay a salary to each kerbal on the roster, on a Biweekly/ Monthly/ yearly basis, (configurable). Salaries can be adjusted for realism and playablility.

o Stats Editing - Editing stats. You can change the Primary profession, name, and other properties of your kerbal.

o Notes - A simple editor that allows you to add notes to your kerbal

o Training - Training is a means to increase your kerbal’s experience through training. Training can consist of time spent away from flight learning specific tasks, or via Simulations such as in HoloDeck mod.

- Cross Training (multi Profession) It will be possible to maintain multiple professions. Through training and flights, you can increase a specific profession by selecting that profession for a given flight.

o Experience - Experience is gained thru flights. With RM, experience can also be gained thru training on specific tasks and thru Simulator training using HoloDeck. Training will increase the experience level of your Kerbals in the profession for which the training occurs.

o Flight / Simulation Log - Flight history and Simulation history will be stored in your Kerbal’s personnel file

-Vessel flown

-Dates of filght

-Results

-Accomplishments

o Crew Performance - Crews that stay together fly better together. It will be possible to improve the performance of a given crew through training and Simulations performed together. Kerbals with more time together will perform better on a given flight.

o Accomplishments/Achievements - using Other addons, accomplishments can be gathered and added to your Kerbal’s personnel file.

o Medals - Medals for significant achievements can be earned.

o Medical / Psych - Your Kerbal’s abilities can be impacted by their medical condition and “sanityâ€Â. While no “insane†kerbals are possible, (no suicides, sorry), their mental state will impact their skills. Things like time in space alone, traumatic events like crash landings and such can affect their abilities for certain periods of time.

• Recruitment/Termination - It will be possible to hire/fire Kerbals. Fired Kerbals will be removed from the game permanently (Will impact the game save).

• Scheduling - It will be possible to “schedule†kerbal crews and crew rotations, vacations, have impacts to crew due to illness, and medical issues.

• Settings

o Reputation/Currency

o Realism

o Scheduling

o Recruitment / Termination

• Persistence - This Mod will NOT change the game save, except for terminations. All changes are stored separately of the Game save, and loaded into KSP on save game load. This allows the management of many parts of the kerbal’s experience, profession, and accomplishments.

I'll be placing this in a PDF on the GITHUB site I will be creating to make it easier to read..

The Idea behind this mod is to extend the Kerbal experience, provide some control, and provide an ecosystem around them. I intend to leverage the available mods around this theme, and attempt to maintain compatibility as much as possible.

At the moment I'm looking at leveraging and compatibility with CrewQueue, HoloDeck, KerbalStats and other mods.

Suggestions and comments are welcomed.

Edited by Papa_Joe

• Persistence - This Mod will NOT change the game save, except for terminations. All changes are stored separately of the Game save, and loaded into KSP on save game load. This allows the management of many parts of the kerbal’s experience, profession, and accomplishments.

I think that's just asking for trouble. Why not use Squad's persistence mechanics? That way reverting flights, recovering from backups, and interaction with other mods is guaranteed.

Other than that, sounds really ambitious - and not in a bad way.

Wow - that's quite a list. Will it be possible to pick and choose which parts to use?

Yes. As with Ship Manifest, there is extensive flexibility in its use. Not everyone will want all features, and some features may well be better served thru another mod. I've no wish to replace other mods, rather I wish to be compatible with and leverage them.

There is a ways to go, as I'm just getting the idea fleshed out now. I'll be building this incrementally, and some of what I have here may become "redundant" with other mods.

I think that's just asking for trouble. Why not use Squad's persistence mechanics? That way reverting flights, recovering from backups, and interaction with other mods is guaranteed.

Other than that, sounds really ambitious - and not in a bad way.

One of the issues with altering the game save involves name changes, and profession management. Since the name is hard-coded to the profession, I have to manage this separately of the game save. Additionally, what if someone wishes to remove my mod from their game. If they do that, it effectively "breaks" their game save and they must start over.

Now, it may be that I can "add" to the game save (like MM configs do). I'm going to be exploring that as well, but my main thought with all this is choice. I do not want a player "locked" into my mod.

For some, that may not be an issue, for others it may be a "deal breaker".

Edited by Papa_Joe

As a fan of Kerbal Construction Time, I'd love it if your simulation experience could tie in with KCT's built-in simulations in some way. Such integration would probably require careful balancing in order to keep from being overpowered, but I think it could be really cool.

As a fan of Kerbal Construction Time, I'd love it if your simulation experience could tie in with KCT's built-in simulations in some way. Such integration would probably require careful balancing in order to keep from being overpowered, but I think it could be really cool.

Thanks for that! I will definitely look into that.

My KSC (and space station) is overrun with tourists and I'd love to have a way of killing them without a big reputation hit. Any way of building that in? Kind of cheaty, but my game is extremely laggy and stuttery right now and I'm wondering if all the tourists are at fault.

My KSC (and space station) is overrun with tourists and I'd love to have a way of killing them without a big reputation hit. Any way of building that in? Kind of cheaty, but my game is extremely laggy and stuttery right now and I'm wondering if all the tourists are at fault.

Stop accepting tourist contracts?

The thing I like about KSP, is the freedom we have to "play the game we choose". As with Ship Manifest, I intend to provide a choice between "god mode" tools and a "realistic" experience. I have always felt there was room for both in my mods. Besides, sometimes you just need to "clean house" so to speak... :D

forgive the seemingly stupid question but i can't see a link anywhere so, um.... can i download this at the moment, or is this purely a concept for now?

Purely concept atm, but Not forgotten. I've been a little busy lately, with taking over maintenance of CLS and creating Wikis for both Ship Manifest ans CLS. Also, Ship Manifest has been taking priority the last several days, with a few bugs to squash and a recent request for an interface to gain access to the Crew Transfer process by a part developer.

I have some working code, but nothing to publish yet. I just finished the basic requirements, and am now starting to code the bones...

Edited by Papa_Joe

Appreciate the time you took to reply! You have a fantastic mod planned and am looking forward to this being as staple part of the ksp diet as ship manifest and kct are. Have a good one :)

This sounds awesome! Out of curiosity, is Final Frontier compatibility planned, or not?

My goal is to be compatible with every mod out there. No sense in playing if you don't play well with others... (I learned that in kindergarten) :D

Update:

Still VERY early in the coding, but I did want to share a photo to tease you with.

The Roster from SM is moved, and I've cleaned it up with a new look and better organization. I will be expanding this significantly, but I did want you all to see some progress..

K91ULeK.png

More to come as I get further along.

Update:

Still VERY early in the coding, but I did want to share a photo to tease you with.

The Roster from SM is moved, and I've cleaned it up with a new look and better organization. I will be expanding this significantly, but I did want you all to see some progress..

http://i.imgur.com/K91ULeK.png

More to come as I get further along.

Blank+_3437641159054d1d1e48a8ee337a51df.jpg

Literally my reaction.

Me too. I'm excited about this project :D This one will expand my knowledge of KSP some...

New teaser. some evolution of the Roster Window...

The list now is more informational. The buttons on the name are to access the various features for that kerbal and essentially will replace the edit button on the right. The buttons to the right will be centered around vessel operations such as add, remove, and anything else that makes sense there.

V1KmpZX.png

And with the name clicked...

mOW4RHQ.png

All this is still very preliminary. the other 5 tabs are essentially empty and still need to be defined, fleshed out, and integrated into the various mods that support the same or similar features.

In other words, still a LOT of work to do... :D

Edited by Papa_Joe

Update.

I've created the Github Repository and committed my initial code. Getting real now... As a general rule I commit buildable code, so feel free to clone and play with it if you choose.

I'm thinking I'll release an alpha build soon, as at the very least it replaces the existing functionality in Ship Manifest and is much easier to read and understand. My guess is just a few days.

I'll be building the Wiki as I go, so it can be a good source for requirements, features, ideas etc. I'll treat it as a living doc that we can use to improve Roster manager as it gets more guts to it...

I've incorporated support for the revivied DeepFreeze mod, so we will have a means to see and deal with frozen kerbals. As JPLRepo evolves this mod, I'll be adding more features.

I'll update the OP with General release, license, source and wiki info in the next few days. As it gets closer to beta, I'll create a new thread in Addon Releases.

More to come...

Great concept. I love mods which add functionality as well as increasing realism. This is my favorite part:

o Crew Performance - Crews that stay together fly better together. It will be possible to improve the performance of a given crew through training and Simulations performed together. Kerbals with more time together will perform better on a given flight.

That will really make things a lot more immersive. Subscribed; can't wait to see how it goes.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.