Hello - should I recover my orbital station?

Ceq Lysander

Hello fellow Kerbals!

I'm doing the career mode and have just managed to unlock the R&D upgrade.

During an earlier mission, I had to launch a Minmus orbital station. I achieved this, but now have 5 rookie Kerbals just hanging out. There's quite a bit of fuel left and I'm pretty sure I could return to Kerbal (or at least get it to a parking orbit). However, it's reasonably large (2x mobile labs), and has no chutes attached. It does however have a docking port.

Can scientists inside mobile labs EVA?

Idea 1: Return the station to kerbal orbit, fly a ship with a docking port which has several parachutes attached and dock. use the station to decay the orbit, switch to the ship mid-way down and active chutes.

Idea 2: Fly up to Minmus, EVA all kerbals into docked transport ship and return leaving the station around Minmus with it's fuel and labs for later missions to Minmus.

Thoughts/other ideas welcomed.

Hi Ceq!

I like your idea number 2. It seems such a waste to have sent it all the way out there only to destroy it. But since you can dock transport to your orbital station, did you know you can transfer kerbals through the docking port, without them having to to EVA? In the wiki, there are some instructions how to do it - look down to the bottom of this page.

Welcome! Idea 2 seems like the most beneficial way of doing things. You might have later missions to Minmus and realize you do really need that station, or maybe you won't have it there and you'll wish you had! I would just leave it at Minmus.

Although, Idea 1 would be the coolest-looking. ;)

Welcome aboard!

There are advantages to both situations, but indeed leaving the station there to be salvaged by future missions seems the most beneficial solution long-term. Unless you really need the funds, in which case recovery could put a not-insignificant chunk of change back in your pocket.

Oh, and for future reference, one lab is enough for cleansing and boosting science :wink:

Thanks all for the tips and suggestions.

Deddly]

did you know you can transfer kerbals through the docking port, without them having to to EVA?

I do now. I've never done a docking before - off to the in game tutorial I think before attempting on my career.

Oh, and for future reference, one lab is enough for cleansing and boosting science :wink:

Yes I just needed room for 5 for the mission objective. In hindsight It's probably better to have used a second 2 seat command pod for weight, but I think the two lab's looked cooler at the time.

One final thing of note, the station's orbit around Minmus is at almost 45 degrees - it is mostly circular though. For future usability if I went with keeping it there (and for docking?) I think i'll move it to an equatorial orbit.