(1.0.x) RocketWatch 1.1.1: Orbital Timekeeping for KSA-Fashion approved crafts (5/1/15)

gkorgood

This mod is a single part and plugin, designed with both aesthetics AND function in mind. :cool:

Like Jeb's sunglasses ^^^: They protect his eyes from Kerbol's harmful UV rays, and he looks totally boss (but I mean, he always does, now doesn't he)

The part is a rocket-sized wristwatch; sized initially at 1.25m, but with Tweakscale support (if you use Tweakscale). It has two top nodes, one for attaching to the bottom of Mk1 fuel tanks, and a second for attaching to the bottom of the Mk1 Command Pod, hiding that annoying heat-shield-shaped bottom of the pod.

The plugin is simple, it adds a window displaying the current Earth-Universe time just underneath the game's mission clock to the screen whenever the current active craft has a RocketWatch on-board. The code is based heavily on Cybutek's youtube tutorials for coding, in which he teaches viewers how to add text windows to their game as their first mod.

Screenshots:

As noted in the album above, this part can be attached in a variety of ways, beneath the Mk1 pod, on the surface (press "W" once to orient it properly for surface attachment) and between two normal Mk1 parts.

DOWNLOAD @ Spacedock

DOWNLOAD @ GitHub

Also if you want, the module that adds the window is called "DigitalClock", so if you don't want to have to add the part to get the window, you can write up a ModuleManager file to add that module to all command pods/probe cores. I made the mod for a school project that required CAD, and don't really know my way around module manager, so I will NOT be undertaking this myself. Feel free to do it and distribute it, if you do I'll even add a link to it on this post, just give credit, please.

Source Code

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License. I made all the art assets, code, and config files. Kerbal Space Program is owned by Squad and I make no claim I am affiliated with them. Details here: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/

ChangeLog:

• Removed the very top attachment node, now there is the one that attaches to the bottom of a capsule and the node on the bottom of the watch. Offset tool can be used for precise positioning.

• Fixed any issues with nodes not attaching properly, if you still encounter these, go into the Debug menu and enable "Non-strict part orientation checks"

This mod is fully compatible with KSP v1.0.5! HYPE!!!!

Edited by gkorgood
Updated to spacedock link

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...

The latest version uploaded to Github and Spacedock is 1.1.1, but on Kerbalstuff there was a 1.2 release which seems to have been a more recently put together zip file than the 1.1.1 release. CKAN has a mirror of the 1.2 release here. @gkorgood, I can force CKAN users to see the 1.1.1 release as the most recent if that is the best idea, or leave them with the 1.2 release until you post a higher version to Spacedock. Whichever you prefer.

On 11/23/2015 at 7:30 AM, lextacy said:

does this sync with the 24 hour RSS time? So if its the sun is rising in the east the time should be around 7am ?

this has nothing to do with in-game time, the time displayed is your system time (the real-world time)

On 3/12/2016 at 10:22 PM, politas said:

The latest version uploaded to Github and Spacedock is 1.1.1, but on Kerbalstuff there was a 1.2 release which seems to have been a more recently put together zip file than the 1.1.1 release. CKAN has a mirror of the 1.2 release here. @gkorgood, I can force CKAN users to see the 1.1.1 release as the most recent if that is the best idea, or leave them with the 1.2 release until you post a higher version to Spacedock. Whichever you prefer.

I believe 1.1.1 and 1.2 should be identical

45 minutes ago, gkorgood said:

this has nothing to do with in-game time, the time displayed is your system time (the real-world time)

I believe 1.1.1 and 1.2 should be identical

Great! In that case, if you could make your next release a higher version number than 1.2 (So, not 1.1.2 or 1.1.3), your CKAN users will have a smooth upgrade path.

1 hour ago, politas said:

Great! In that case, if you could make your next release a higher version number than 1.2 (So, not 1.1.2 or 1.1.3), your CKAN users will have a smooth upgrade path.

no problem

• 3 weeks later...

This is not yet compatible with 1.1, the window is not showing up. Granted that functionality is kind of obsolete since KER can do the same thing. Considering I took all the mod-making software off my computer, I may or may not update the mod. The part still works as a part, so if you want it for aesthetics you're fine, and your saves shouldn't break.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.