Leonard Nimoy has passed away

r4pt0r

He'll most definitely be missed. My condolences go out to his friends and family.

I do like the idea of him being memorialized in KSP in some way. Undoubtedly he's had a profound impact on a lot of people here and inspired many a dream of reaching for the stars, whether literally or figuratively.

As much as I've enjoyed Star Trek, and loved Leonard Nimoy's roles, I think in KSP's case, that honor should be restricted to real astronauts and not actors.

However, he will be missed.

For as much as the idea sounds nice, I have to agree. Although, perhaps adding "Leonard Kerman" could be suitable and fitting.

As for real astronauts... I would very much like to see a memorial for Yuri Gagarin. Yes, I am an American and I wish to see this. He is deserving of it.

There are a few others (Hanna Reitsch for example, Germany's V1 test pilot, who is technically the first person to do a sub-orbital flight - and a woman at that), but I think it going a bit far to create memorials all over the place for all of them. Were Squad to attempt such however, I would like to suggest something right at KSC, like the Space Mirror Memorial at NASA, or the Wall of Honor at the National Air and Space Museum... which I think could incorporate quite nicely on the grounds of KSC, and as a walkway, plenty of room for expansion for the astronauts of all programs globally.

He'll most definitely be missed. My condolences go out to his friends and family.

I do like the idea of him being memorialized in KSP in some way. Undoubtedly he's had a profound impact on a lot of people here and inspired many a dream of reaching for the stars, whether literally or figuratively.

Kind of a loaded idea, really. I don't know if I can say that his contribution to Star Trek and/or Space exploration is more important than any other member of the original Enterprise crew/cast. At the very least, when Michelle Nichols goes, she'll be an equally prime candidate as well, given the work she's done as a spokesperson for NASA.

I am a better person because of his presence on this world.

I thought I could summarize his body of work tidily and assign it some meaning. But I cannot.

I thought I could impart some wisdom by equating his simple talent of communicating effectively as a complex inspirational beacon. But I cannot.

I thought to express how a dispassionate character from so long ago could instill passion into the methodical discipline of science for so many for so long.

I thought to impress that his greatest gift was softening the line between science and fiction.

Others can say the stars are a bit dimmer with his passing.

But I cannot.

More than once they had to drag him out by his ears to reprise his role as Spock - will not be that easy this time.

My first encounter with Star Trek was the start of TNG in German TV (1990), which must have made my father rewatch the old movies and I joined him not getting much of what was going on ... Spock returns to the Enterprise after his almost-Kolinahr and behaves rather strange, I was all "now who is he and what is his problem?!"

It took me a while to later really appreciate TOS, but I always liked the movies, yet remained a Picard padawan.

I like the idea of the small subtle addition of a scope (Spock's sciene station look-o-tron) to the IVA of the science lab - while they are being redesigned anyway.

hehehe...I just found out that Nimoy actually played more roles than just the good guy on Star Trek. He played the voice of Galvatron in the cartoon Transformers movie AND he played the voice of old Xehanort in Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep! Looks like he is immortalized by more than just Spock!

• 2 weeks later...

I landed a photon torpedo from the sci-fi mod on laythe.

Dr. McCoy: [speaking through communicator] Spock, are you alive?

Mr. Spock: [on the bridge of the Enterprise] An illogical question, Doctor, since obviously you are hearing my voice.

Dr. McCoy: Well, I don't know why I was worried. You can't kill a computer.

From "A private little war" via IMBD: http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0001439/quotes

May Spock's spirit live on.

(I hope that isn't disrespectful)

Edited by Mad Rocket Scientist

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.