[WIP] Duna Direct

UTK Aerospace Ind.

3JRHD00.png?1

OVERVIEW:

04/14/16

DUNA DIRECT

1.    HAB
This is where Kerbals will live both on their journey to Duna, and while on Duna.

A.    Crew
        i.    Seats: 6 (No Designation)
       ii.    Provides a common area for crew members to eat, sleep, and be entertained.
       iii.    Contains Life Support recourses:
              1.    Food
              2.    Water (1/2)
              3.    Oxygen (1/2)

B.    Command
       i.    Seats: 2 (Pilot, Commander)
       ii.    Provides control of the spacecraft and docked spacecraft.
       iii.    Reaction Wheels.

C.    Science
       i.    Seats: 2 (Scientist, Scientist)
       ii.    Contains science experiments:
              1.    Mystery Goo.
              2.    PresMat Barometer.
              3.    Science Lab (Experiment processing)

D.    Utility
       i.    Seats: 2 (Engineer, Engineer)
       ii.    Contains resources:
              1.    Electric Charge.
              2.    Mono propellant.
              3.    Liquid Fuel & Oxidizer.
       iii.    Contains Life Support resources:
              1.    Water (2/2)
              2.    Oxygen (2/2)
              3.    Empty Waste Tank.
              4.    Empty Co2 Tank. 

2.    KRV
This craft will be sent ahead of the HAB and crew in order to start processing fuel for the Kerbals journey home. Only the second stage will return to Kerbin.

A.    Return Module (Stage 2)
       i.    Seats: 6
       ii.    Provides control of the spacecraft (No docking capability)
       iii.    Reaction wheels
       iv.    Contains resources:
              1.    Electric Charge
              2.    Mono Propellant
              3.    Liquid fuel & oxidizer

B.    Utility Module (Stage 1)
       i.    Contains recourses:
              1.    Liquid Fuel & Oxidizer
              2.    Mono Propellant
       ii.    Contains chemical processing plugin.
              1.    Converts Co2 into Liquid Fuel and Oxygen ( For engines and life support)

attachment.php?attachmentid=15135&d=1096491143kVfD4FD.jpg?1DYSmjpk.jpg?1

Design concept images from the Mars Direct Program.

Dev. Blog:

<no posts>

88x31.png

Duna Direct by Tyler Grommesh is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.

Edited by UTK Aerospace Ind.
Minor edits to outline format.

The ERV! i once wanted to include a command pod for my space planes, but i decide to use aircraft cockpit instead. Anyway i still have the model of the command pod, it was based on the ERV in mars direct documentary:

krsFKsk.png

is not yet textured, but if you want to use it i can texture it asap

EDIT: Textures done

Edited by K.Yeon
adjusted photo

I am going to be cautiously optimistic about this mod. I have become too excited about mods in the past that die. I wish you luck and if you get this done it will be truly an amazing mod to behold.

Very cool. What diameter is the hab going to be? I'd suggest perhaps splitting it into the upper and lower parts (offering possible flexibility in building crafts later).

I have no KSP modding skills, but when it comes to it, I'm happy to test stuff out in game.

Thank you all for your support! To answer some of your questions and to give so reassurance, I have compiled a Q&A:

Q: How will the fuel generation systems as described in the Mars Direct plan work?

A: I do not currently have plans for this system however it WILL be implemented. Kethane obviously would be a great temporary option... However because the Oxygen and Hydrogen is derived from the atmosphere rather than the ground... I most likely will develop my own plugin for generating fuel on the surface of Duna

Q: What Diameter is the HAB going to be?

A: At the moment it is 3.5m It will most likely be made larger in the future. Also regarding the idea of having the HAB as two separate parts... This is a great idea and I would like to implement it in the future however the HAB currently is one model... So i would be stepping backward if i were to do this unfortunately.

Q: How does the ERV re enter? As a lifting body or as a classical blunt body?

A:

fig13d6.gif

The "KRV" or Kerbin Return Vehicle is a Blunt body when it enters Duna's atmosphere... however the Capsule which rides on top of the KRV Service Section, is a lifting body when re enters the Kerbin Atmosphere.

Thanks again guys! look forward to additional updates!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey everyone! I am just going to post a quick update for the mods development. I am still working on it but I REALLY need help with texturing. I want to make it stocklike but I am struggling to duplicate the design. Any suggestions or tips would be MUCH appreciated! :)

Hey everyone! I am just going to post a quick update for the mods development. I am still working on it but I REALLY need help with texturing. I want to make it stocklike but I am struggling to duplicate the design. Any suggestions or tips would be MUCH appreciated! :)

Will someone get this guy a texturer!!!

The only way you're going to get stockalike textures is to, quite simply, learn to do it yourself.

Texturing is not a disparate step that simply comes after modelling, but rather, something that is intrinsically linked. This is because in order to make a texture, you need to know how to make a UV map determining which part of the texture map corresponds with which part of the model, and it takes a keen understanding of the model itself in order to figure out the best way to unwrap it for texturing.

When I made my stockalike SDHI Service Module System, once I have the geometry mostly done, I would figure out how to unwrap the model and lay it out on a flat canvas, and then use the UV maps as a template to draw on. To get the stockalike art style, I would extract the stock command pod and fuel tank models, save copies of their textures, and then experiment in Photoshop / Fireworks CS6 to figure out brush and stamp techniques used to recreate the desired smudged and dinged look. I would end up spending more time on these experiments than actually making my final textures, but that's part of the process of understanding an art style you're trying to emulate.

Also, texturing is always going to be an iterative process. You're going to have to go back and forth painting your model a little, exporting it to the game for testing and comparing it with other stock parts. Nobody is able to provide step-by-step instructions teaching you how to get to stockalike in one or two passes.

• 3 weeks later...

I have been working on that, and I have my UV's but its just trying to get the textures captured from the stock parts and apply them to my model. I dont want anyone to do it for me because I need to learn... I just need some help is all:

So I can use the stamp tool in Photoshop to get the texture from the stock parts to my parts? I will try to just experiment a bit in PS and let you guys know what progress I make. I am however struggling with creating UVs for advanced models with LOTS of geometry... So tips on that are much needed, otherwise I just plan on restarting the model and texturing it before I make it too advanced.

Edited by UTK Aerospace Ind.

At the moment it is 3.5m It will most likely be made larger in the future. Also regarding the idea of having the HAB as two separate parts... This is a great idea and I would like to implement it in the future however the HAB currently is one model... So i would be stepping backward if i were to do this unfortunately.

You might want to consider bumping up the size of the hab and ERV if you are trying to go with more realistic dimensions for a 6 kerbal crew (5m to 7.5m). I started and stopped working on a Duna Direct-like hab a year ago in a 3.5M size. Here is the layout of the inside and the associated spaces:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/76079-WIP-Land-Based-Habitat-Modules

You also have those deployable landing legs which seem to take up a good amount of internal space on the Habitat. You need to take that into consideration as well.

• 2 weeks later...