[1.4.3] [(Re^4)visited!] Science Revisited 1.7.0

zekew11

8Tq4U8g.jpg

Science Revisited Revisited

Science Revisited was created by CaptRobau as a rebalance of the stock science system. Science Revisited Revisited builds upon their original work.

Science Revisited Revisited aims to be a lightweight and modular rebalance of the stock science system. These adjustments aim to make science gameplay more dynamic, while preserving the stock gameplay feel.

The work is built entirely through Module Manager patches. The edits it makes are also completely modular in nature. This allows users to pick and choose the changes they want to apply.

Download at SpaceDock

Patches Included:

• Revised Crew Versus EVA Reports: Switches low space and flying crew reports to make them biome-dependant, while making the same EVA reports biome independant. No more hanging off the sides of cockpits to get that "flying at kerbin's mountains" data or EVAing every two minutes in low munar orbit. Somehow this makes more sense.
  • Reduced Transmission Penalty on Data: Science that is simple data is much more effectively transmitted. Recovering the instruments is still mildly helpful. Temperature, gravity, barometer, accelerometer, and atmospheric data are currently affected
  • Increased Transmission Penalty on Experiments: Significantly nerfs the already low transmission rates for materials studies and mystery goo.
  • Increased Transmission Penalty on Surface Samples: Significantly nerfs the transmission value of Surface Samples. Compliments the experiment nerfs patch discussed above.
  • Science Lab Rebalance: Increases the Science Lab's weight to a more volume appropriate 5 tons. Increases lab's data and science storage. Rebalances several mod-added labs similarly.
  • Probe Telemetry Science: Adds a very low value experiment to all command modules. This data is representative of the telemetry data needed to pilot the vessel.
  • Microgravity Experiment: Replaces the hitchhiker's stock crew report with a new, slightly more valuable "Micro-Gravity" Experiment. Good flavor. Also adds the experiment to a couple mod added habitats.

Plays Well With Friends

There is built in support for Porkjet's Habitat Pack, Lack's Stock Extension, Roverdude's USI mod constellation, Kerbal Planetary Base Systems, Dmagic Orbital Science, and Nertea's Near Future Solar & Stockalike Station Parts Expansion. In addition, most ballance patches are automatically applied to all relevant parts. (A mod doesn't have to be listed here to be compatible; this is simply a list of mods that Science Revisited is explicitly aware of.)

There is one suspect incompatibility at this time: Station Science 2.0. See thread post 61 (page 3 by default) for more information and a potential fix. Please report any further incompatibilities either at a balancing or at a functional level.

Full Album

hyrlPLa.png

This work is an adaptation of the original work of CaptRobau. Adaptation by Zekew11 with support from RealGecko. Distributed per original license:

Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.0 Generic (CC BY-NC-SA 2.0)

Changelog:

[B]1.7.0[/B]
[LIST]
[*]Patch Manager Support
[*]Module Manager Syntax Fixes
[/LIST]

[B]1.6.0[/B]
[LIST]
[*]Housecleaning
[*]Generalized Micro-Gravity Expiriment
[/LIST]

[B]1.5.0[/B]
[LIST]
[*]Reconfigured patch which nerfs the transmission rate of surface samples; Removed "EVA Manager" dependence
[*]Updated Kerbal Planetary Base Systems compatibility
[*]Added explicit compatibility for USI's Ranger lab
[*]Removed :FINAL tags; added :FOR tags
[/LIST]

[B]1.4.0[/B]
[LIST]
[*]Added a (disabled by default; alpha) patch which nerfs the transmission rate of surface samples; Note: requires "EVA Manager" by toadicus
[*]Added an alternate configuration for "numeric" experiments
[*]Re-added previously missing 1.3.1 patch changes
[*]Removed Module Manager Redistribution; Module Manager is still required
[/LIST]

[B]1.3.1[/B]
[LIST]
[*]Added explicit compatibility for Kerbal Planetary Base Systems
[*]Updated Module Manager
[/LIST]

[B]1.3.0[/B]
[LIST]
[*]Reintroduced Lab Rebalance!
[/LIST]

[B]1.2.2[/B]
[LIST]
[*]Updated DMagic Compatibility (unsure how long this has been broken)
[*]Permanently depreciated Solar Patch
[/LIST]

[B]1.2.1[/B]
[LIST]
[*]Temporarily locked Solar Nerf and Lab Rebalance Patches pending playtesting of stock 1.0 era changes
[/LIST]

[B]1.2.0[/B]
[LIST]
[*]Updated module manager
[*]Added explicit support for Nertea's Stockalike Station Parts Expansion
[*]Rebalanced USI labs to being in line with rebalanced stock lab (Important: the base module weight was increased to 5.5 tons)
[/LIST]

[B]1.1.1[/B]
[LIST]
[*]Fixed bugs with mod-added rotating habitation rings.
[/LIST]

[B]1.1.0[/B]
[LIST]
[*]Full support for Lack's SXT; all large habitats can run the microgravity experiment; the science senior can transmit data more efficiently.
[*]Buffed science labs to make transmission of materials type experiments viable.
[*]Corrected typos
[*]Bundled module manager
[/LIST]

[B]1.0.0[/B]
[LIST]
[*]Initial release
[/LIST]

Edited by zekew11
update

Cool that you wanted to revive this. I just couldn't bring myself to really start this mod up again, because every time I look at the science system of KSP I just want to change a hundred times more things than I did in the original Science Revisited and I don't have the time for that.

Cool that you wanted to revive this. I just couldn't bring myself to really start this mod up again, because every time I look at the science system of KSP I just want to change a hundred times more things than I did in the original Science Revisited and I don't have the time for that.

Glad to have your blessing. Reviving this was already a slippery slope for me as well. It all started when I wanted that eva patch. And then I needed the transmission rate rebalances too. And I may as well rewrite them to make them work with all my modded parts. But I'm getting more science from probes: I need to balance that. Less science from materials. Now I need the lab. oooh! that hitchiker experiment is shiney! shoot, lets throw in the solar nerf too. while we're at it, lets make it modular. now lets add probe science. Now lets write compatibility patches for a bunch of stuff... And then we had this thing.

Here's the problem:

You set containerModuleIndex = 0 when it should be containerModuleIndex = 1, at least for Porkjet's centrifuge.

That literally is the index in the part configuration where ModuleScienceContainer can be found. (I hate when Squad does that.... just find the first science container procedurally and ignore everything after.... dont make it configurable or things can get messed up. Well, that's my 0.02 K)

Edited by Starwaster

• 3 weeks later...

Oh dear, it seems I didn't see these posts and neglected this little mod for a while (finals. scary terrible things.). I just uploaded 1.1.0; 1.1.1 will be up within an hour with this bug fixed!

Edit:

Hotfix is Up!

Changes today from 1.0.0

• Fixed bugs with mod-added rotating habitation rings.
  • Full support for Lack's SXT; all large habitats can run the microgravity experiment; the science senior can transmit data more efficiently.
  • Buffed science labs to make transmission of materials type experiments viable.
  • Corrected typos
  • Bundled module manager

Edited by zekew11

• Updated module manager
  • Added explicit support for Nertea's Stockalike Station Parts Expansion
  • Rebalanced USI labs to being in line with rebalanced stock lab (Important: the base module weight was increased to 5.5 tons)

Remember; the changes are modular.

Also, I made a pretty banner. Pretty things are always nice! On a serious note though, there's been a major dearth of feedback, which makes balancing things difficult. Please give input as to how the mod is working for you!

Edited by zekew11

• 1 month later...

Depending on how productive I am, we should be 1.0 ready by the end of either tomorrow (yay), or the end of a hard school week I've got coming. regardless, expect a new version soonâ„¢, though using the old one *shouldn't* (don't come crying to me) break anything.

Well; my productivity proved lower than expected. I still haven't had time to update the mod properly (with new balancing against 1.0 era stock labs and solar panels), but the potentially unbalanced components have been, in essence, commented out. Feedback here about desires for rebalancing of these elements will directly expedite the update process.

Well; my productivity proved lower than expected. I still haven't had time to update the mod properly (with new balancing against 1.0 era stock labs and solar panels), but the potentially unbalanced components have been, in essence, commented out. Feedback here about desires for rebalancing of these elements will directly expedite the update process.

If I'm reading the 1.0 changelog right, the solar panel curves are no longer used. Now the stock solar panels are using the same insolation curve that the heating system is using, which they're saying is a pretty accurate 1/r^2. CaptRobau's solar panel curve seems to no longer be useful.

If I'm reading the 1.0 changelog right, the solar panel curves are no longer used. Now the stock solar panels are using the same insolation curve that the heating system is using, which they're saying is a pretty accurate 1/r^2. CaptRobau's solar panel curve seems to no longer be useful.

This is what I've suspected from a skim of the changelog; regardless; I'd like to get some play time in with solar in high orbits before I make a decision about discontinuing that patch (regardless of the fact that continuing it would be a complete rewrite)

Just pulled this down today and was poking through the cfg files. Wanted to note that whenever you get around to working on the Lab Balance again you need to update the part names for USI. The Science Lab from MKS/OKS no longer exist and their capabilities have been combined in with the Colony Hub to create the Pioneer Module that serves as both C3 and Science Lab now. Just wanted to let you know for the future.

Thanks for maintaining and continuing work on these patches I've used them pretty much from the time I started playing KSP!

Just pulled this down today and was poking through the cfg files. Wanted to note that whenever you get around to working on the Lab Balance again you need to update the part names for USI. The Science Lab from MKS/OKS no longer exist and their capabilities have been combined in with the Colony Hub to create the Pioneer Module that serves as both C3 and Science Lab now. Just wanted to let you know for the future.

Thanks for maintaining and continuing work on these patches I've used them pretty much from the time I started playing KSP!

Thank you thank you. I've missed a couple usi changelogs, so that detail had alluded me. I'm hoping to update by this time next week.

Is this compatible with the Crowd Sourced Science definitions?

Yep; as it makes no changes to those defs :)

Just pulled this down today and was poking through the cfg files. Wanted to note that whenever you get around to working on the Lab Balance again you need to update the part names for USI. The Science Lab from MKS/OKS no longer exist and their capabilities have been combined in with the Colony Hub to create the Pioneer Module that serves as both C3 and Science Lab now.

Instead of matching by part name it's probably easier to just look for any part that has ModuleScienceLab.

Instead of matching by part name it's probably easier to just look for any part that has ModuleScienceLab.

At the time of developing this mod (rewriting the original), I decided against this due to the fact that some labs may be balanced differently than others. For example, I wouldn't want my mod overwriting mod x's ten times improved super heavy late game science lab and replacing it with a copy of the stock lab (rather, the idea was that I'd make a custom patch for said lab.) Because the lab patch will have to be rewritten complexity to accommodate the new lab functionality in 1.0, this decision making will be gone through again, and it is likely I will decide to use this approach, with multipliers. I found using them for labs tricky in .90; perhaps I won't in 1.0.

(a side note; most other patches included in this mod have been applied via the part-module-finding-method, which I agree is generally better in *almost* every way)

Small bugfix patch today. (Dmagic parts use a custom, Dmagic science module, which hadn't been receiving rebalancing.) Also cleaned up the Module Manager files a bit; putting most of my work in the :Final pass

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.