I wonder does we ever get computers (both desktop and laptop) that which not dust inside?

Pawelk198604

There are already such computers, however they are not very powerful.

Tell me, why? Can you give me link?

I'm a little annoyed that when you cleanse the inside of the computer from dust it for a month or two at the dust again is there and you have to do it all over again:-(

Dust accumulates because of air cooling (fans). If you buy a liquid cooling system there will be no dust. Also, it'll be quieter and looks kool:

http://desktopped.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/watercool-22.jpg

Thanks, but from i known from my friends liquid cooling have flaws, it's look cool but it has leaks and one leak is like a Chernobyl Leak :D

So it's sadly not for me :(

Even a watercooled system needs some airflow, unless you watercool every single component that produces heat.

Anyway, one solution is to arrange fans so that you have more intake than exhaust, meaning the case is at a higher pressure than ambient, so that air flows outwards through all the little gaps. Then, you can filter the intake fans and keep most of the dust out of the case.

You can create an airtight case and place the water-cooling radiator outside of the airtight part. Most high end cases come with holes for the hoses (is that the right word?) to pass through. If you are really afraid of leaks, you can always use non-conducting liquid as coolant (although that's expensive), if leaks happen, the only thing you have to worry about is your stuff not getting cooled and the mess in your desk, but it'll give you wayyyy more than enough time to shut down your pc and disconnect it to clean and repair/replace.

Dust accumulates because of air cooling (fans). If you buy a liquid cooling system there will be no dust. Also, it'll be quieter and looks kool:

http://desktopped.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/watercool-22.jpg

That would slow it down, not really stop it outright. Dust would filter in slowly through cracks. Unless you have no openings to the outside...

Fun fact: Dust is human skin that's fallen off.

That would slow it down, not really stop it outright. Dust would filter in slowly through cracks. Unless you have no openings to the outside...

Fun fact: Dust is human skin that's fallen off.

Dust is only partly human skin. It also has hair, textile fibers, minerals from soil, pollen, paper fibres, and even particles of burned up meteorites.

Dust is only partly human skin. It also has hair, textile fibers, minerals from soil, pollen, paper fibres, and even particles of burned up meteorites.

True...

But a lot of it is human skin, at least in houses. Not all, though.

I investigated a bit, it seems my idea is not new but hasn't been successfully put to test either. It seems the bane is passive heat buildup, which can't be bleed off and it requires additional cooling setup to actually cool the case (and in consequence the air inside it).

Submersion (on non conductive liquid obviously) on the other hand has been proved multiple times and is actually used on many applications.

Finally, the cheapest solution is obviously air, you can just filter the fans externally and create a case with positive air pressure, meaning every crack and hole in the case that is not related to a fan (which are filtered) blows air outwards, so no external air gets in.

Well, most smartphones don't get dust inside them, do they? They're mostly sealed shut, and, on occasion (such as some waterproof phones), solid all the way through. Of course, they do this at the expense of a) not being very modular or customizable (although this could change) and B) using the less-powerful ARM chip architecture.

Soon, maybe advances in solid-state cooling methods, such as Peltier coolers, could allow computers with x86 chips to be built like smartphones, with no air gaps inside in which dust can collect. To some extent, liquid cooling could certainly help with this as well. Alternatively, someone might start marketing ARM laptops which trade some performance for long-term reliability and super-slim form factors - that's essentially what Microsoft has done with its Surface devices, but those are still rather ungainly for certain tasks that normal laptops are good at just because of how small and tabletey they are.

Well, most smartphones don't get dust inside them, do they? They're mostly sealed shut, and, on occasion (such as some waterproof phones), solid all the way through. Of course, they do this at the expense of a) not being very modular or customizable (although this could change) and B) using the less-powerful ARM chip architecture.

Soon, maybe advances in solid-state cooling methods, such as Peltier coolers, could allow computers with x86 chips to be built like smartphones, with no air gaps inside in which dust can collect. To some extent, liquid cooling could certainly help with this as well. Alternatively, someone might start marketing ARM laptops which trade some performance for long-term reliability and super-slim form factors - that's essentially what Microsoft has done with its Surface devices, but those are still rather ungainly for certain tasks that normal laptops are good at just because of how small and tabletey they are.

With a friend we own a repair shop (we do pcs, smartphones, peripherals, tablets, laptops, etc) and believe me, most DO get dust inside of them. We haven't gotten any waterproof device yet, not even splashproof so I can't tell you about those, but dust gets everywhere.

Multiple ways to do this, simplest is to use an sealed case, this is done on some computers and lots of other systems, problem is to get rid of wast heat.

Second is an sealed case with an external radiators some custom build system uses this.

Easiest solution is to use dust filters, lots of the better modern cases has this, even removeable ones. Cleaning them then the fan sounds increase or every second week solves the issue.

An common problem is dust on the fans of the grapic card, that fans tend to be hard to clean or replace.

Laptops are very vulnerable, fans and cooling ribs are small and often hard to clean. They also tend to draw air from the bottom. Had been an idea to make the holes in the bottom smaller or better put an fine masked mesh over the intake, yes you had to make it larger but that should be no huge issue. Some has slits for intake who can eat cat hair.

You could put your computer in a separate room with walls you treated with oil paint, with floor covered with linoleum flooring and silicone sealed edges and a filtered ventilation system. Double door with ventilation.

Also you should wear this all the time.

Gas_Tight_Chemical_Protective_Clothing_Product1154.jpg

Good luck.

My solution would be to put filters on (or in) the case air intake ducts. That way, only the filter gets dirty, rather than the components inside. The filter itself does need routine cleaning, though, otherwise cooling performance will suffer.

My solution would be to put filters on (or in) the case air intake ducts. That way, only the filter gets dirty, rather than the components inside. The filter itself does need routine cleaning, though, otherwise cooling performance will suffer.

I use this case who has filters in front and bottom

http://www.fractal-design.com/home/product/cases/define-series. had it for 3 years and its just traces of dust inside it. It also covers the intake for the psu.

If you could reverse the directions of the fans for some seconds every day you could have an self cleaning system. It would not work on the front on this case because it behind the door so dust would have nowhere to go.

Would it be easier to develop technology to stop dust from entering our computers, or would it be easier to develop computers that run optimally no matter how dusty it is?

Filters are simpler than designing high-temperature-resistant chips. As magnemoe noted, filter-equipped cases are already available in the market.

we have a desktop pc and a laptop. the desktop is cleaned very easily with a vacuum. clean outside grills, take off cover, take out cpufan, clean inside, put it all together.

with the laptop that's a whole other story take out loose stuff, ease out keyboard, unscrew and take out peripheries, unscrew and open case, take out cableconnectors, unscrew and fold back mainboard, look for that one screw you missed that now locks all pieces in place and prevents you getting to the heat exchanger, unscrew and take out fancover, clean heatexchanger, put it all back together. meanwhile worry about warranty, look for lost screws, ask yourself whether a magnetic screw driver should be used to unscrew your harddrive... you get my point.

for me it seems like laptops weren't build to be cleaned. but, how to build a laptop that is easy to clean?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.