how would i attach a rover to my rocket

With a decoupler, separator or docking port.

The simplest way is centrally under the lander, which would therefore use multiple engines.

If you have a single-engined lander it's usually easiest to fit two rovers symmetrically, for balance.

There are lots of alternatives but 'a rover' and 'a rocket' don't give us much to start from. If you have designs already please show screenshots.

So let's say you've built your rover first. Decide which part on the rover is going to attach to the rocket. Switch to the reroot gizmo and click that part twice. Then make it a subassembly. Build your rocket, load up the rover subassembly, and attach it.

As for where to put the rover, you have a few options:

On top of the lander. Add small rockets on the rover and a little fuel so it can fly itself clear after the lander has touched down. Alternatively add a big ramp down the side of the lander.

On the side of the lander. Add a balance load on the other side - maybe a second rover, maybe some static science equipment. Alternatively, make a lander with more than one engine and use thrust limiters to keep it in line.

Underneath the lander. Ensure the engine thrust won't impinge on the rover, and if landing on legs ensure there's enough clearance.

You will want to encapsulate the rover! Or bad things will happen.

screenshot30.png

screenshot29.png

screenshot32.png

-Always use struts

-Rover needs to be upright for valid control

-I havent added a propulsive landing rack yet to this craft , but you would place it above the rover

-PARACHUTES!

-This rover was specifically designed roll off the pad after touchdown

-Always use a MSL drive to cruise the rover assembly into planetary orbit and de-orbit

-STAGING! You will be staging at tight moments during your descent. Pay attention and rehearse the order of decoupling/chutes,ect and what buttons you will be pressing.

-Good Luck!

I used a winch and connection point to hang a rover under a lander. It swings around a tiny bit and makes flying the rocket/lander difficult, but it works like a charm...

screenshot96_zpsmrbhdarq.png

screenshot64_zpsoewschbb.png

Edited by vixr

I usually attach a skycrane to the top of the rover and deliver it that way.

I used a winch and connection point to hang a rover under a lander. It swings around a tiny bit and makes flying the rocket/lander difficult, but it works like a charm...

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m236/vixr/screenshot96_zpsmrbhdarq.png

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m236/vixr/screenshot64_zpsoewschbb.png

I tried a KAS winch, but the whole thing starts freaking out and spinning. How did you fix this?

I usually attach a skycrane to the top of the rover and deliver it that way.

I tried a KAS winch, but the whole thing starts freaking out and spinning. How did you fix this?

I had to fly the whole thing like a mad man...it wouldnt stay on course very well, but just enough to be possible...its not a very good way to do it, but possible.

For the Mun, a rover can be made light enough that the magnetic force of a standard docking clamp is enough to pull it off the ground. I just land this rocket, detach the rover, drive around, and when it's time to go home drive the rover back underneath and wait for it to dock automatically.

fUoDOtk.png

ETA: Rover is also light enough compared to the lifter that there are no problems controlling the ship in flight.

Make the rover and the rocket the same thing. Duh. There's almost no justification for not making the rover and the lander the same thing, not when wheels are so lightweight. I can't understand why so few people to do this. It's by far better than making a separate detachable lander, except for like, Eve (where such a thing is impossible) and maybe Tylo (though I've made single stage lander/rovers for Tylo even), because you simplify your lander so much by doing so, and the lander and rover system becomes 100% reusable. ADDITIONALLY, your rover gains the ability to simply fly over impassible terrain, because except on Tylo, you'll have enough extra DV to make multiple landings. It's a win-win-win design.

This is an old Duna rover I made a year back. It was capable of landing on Duna and returning to orbit all by itself. Oh and would also work on the Mun, Ike, etc. The lander in the screenshot was an over-designed (it was actually better than I needed) single stage to-ground-and-back-to-orbit Tylo/Kerbin lander, I was just testing it out on Duna.

FS26ji1.jpg

Edited by |Velocity|

I had to fly the whole thing like a mad man...it wouldnt stay on course very well, but just enough to be possible...its not a very good way to do it, but possible.

If you're using KAS winches, adding a pipe or two for lateral stability will make life a lot happier.

I have a brief question: My rover (picture below) seems to be controlled by my main craft. That is, when it is decoupled, it still pitches, yaws, etc. as if it is part of the main craft. It is connected by the TR-2V decoupler.

I noticed almost the opposite effect the other day when I tested the decouple mechanism. I had it attached to a bare command pod on the launchpad. After decoupling, Jeb got out and hopped in the lander. Moving the lander around made the command pod roll about as well.

Has anyone seen this before?

Thanks.

Edit: Sorry Moderator, I did not realize that the post would need checking, I just saw it dissapear and attempted to repost. I was not attempting to double post.

http://cloud-4.steamusercontent.com/ugc/537390612466083908/EC5A41A5D9DA3877EAD8A9ED2C96B5781BC1658C/

Edited by Lupus Irae

Lupus, if you are using probe core on the underside of your rover, that's partly the problem: The reaction wheels in the probe core still try to pitch/yaw/roll your rover. Try turning off the reaction wheels by right clicking the core and/or setup different controls for the rover in the settings/controls menu.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.