What do you enjoy doing the most in KSP?

Columbia

Hello, forums!

Seeing as the game is quite big and there is much to do, such as building spaceplanes, sending Kerbals to other planets and all that, my question is pretty straightforward : What do you enjoy doing the most in KSP?

My answer: Well, I'm not the best in the game, but probably the most enjoyable part for me is imagining the spacecraft and it's concept and the bigger picture, and then making it come to life in the game by building it and overcoming the technical and financial challenges of doing so. And likely, in the end, you'll end up with a very good spacecraft.

What about you guys?

I like planning missions and designing vehicles to complete them. I usually like to incorporate contracts into my missions, though they often have addition self-defined objectives. I also enjoy flying the missions, but I like the planning/designing a little more. I find it very satisfying to be able to complete a mission and to have a vehicle perform according to the plan. I do everything with rockets; no air or spaceplanes.

After reading this thread and replies I was trying to think of what my favorite thing was and then realized I was staring right at it. Slashy's signature! Of course that pretty much encompasses everything, so, yeah, that.

Didn't we have this thread like a month ago?

Crafting parts and creating mods. Making new type of craft.

i enjoy making the people who say "low part count is key" very, very angry. I enjoy building everything one size bigger than everyone else :P Call me pretentious, I just like doing what is said can't be done.

i enjoy making the people who say "low part count is key" very, very angry...

It is key on a machine like mine, but I enjoy seeing you having fun the wrong way ^^. Does that mean my enjoyment spoils yours, lol.

More seriously, does anyone really get angry about how you build? You've got all those green lights for showing-off your creations, after all.

It is key on a machine like mine, but I enjoy seeing you having fun the wrong way ^^. Does that mean my enjoyment spoils yours, lol.

More seriously, does anyone really get angry about how you build? You've got all those green lights for showing-off your creations, after all.

Nah i don't think they get upset, only a few people on facebook - everyone on the forums loves them - I live for that "wow" effect.

Nah i don't think they get upset, only a few people on facebook - everyone on the forums loves them - I live for that "wow" effect.

Just don't tell Rune how many parts it has!

After visiting every body in the game and being left feeling a little empty, I found my happiness (in game :wink:) again by building. I enjoy making things more than flying them.

I had been just messing around with stuff in sandbox mode, which was my favorite thing to do. A few days ago I decided to start a career mode, and it is so much more enjoyable and rewarding.

Anomaly hunting is the best thing ever. The only one I don't have is the Vallhenge, because my Jool-5 save got corrupted before I got there.

Stunt flying in Kerbin's mountain ranges is a close second. I think I've buzzed every mountain range on Kerbin.

Finding and exploring interesting landforms is fun. It's not as simple as anomaly hunting. You really have to study maps, pay attention to your surroundings when zooming about, and set your own goals.

i enjoy making the people who say "low part count is key" very, very angry. I enjoy building everything one size bigger than everyone else :P Call me pretentious, I just like doing what is said can't be done.

I wouldn't exactly go so far to say that low,part count is key, but i wouldn't recommend a high part count ship either, for playability reasons. For i favor mechjeb based space station building. Current pproject:RSS ISS replica using OLDD Proton and CSS

I'm fond of making a huge interplanetary exploration ship and support infrastructure for it: tankers to refuel it, freighters to deliver new landers, orbital stations for science dropoff and crew exchange... and then sending that huge ship everywhere. As per Arthur C. Clarke's advice, it never lands, but carries small landers with it.

I'm also recently for the first time trying out some of the popular mods and I've been having a lot of fun building utility skiffs with Kerbal Attachment System (docked at the orbital station) and fuel refineries with Karbonite (to make the tankers more reusable).

And I live for the wow effect of doing it in half the parts and weight than everybody else. ;)

Just don't tell Rune how many parts it has!

After visiting every body in the game and being left feeling a little empty, I found my happiness (in game :wink:) again by building. I enjoy making things more than flying them.

LOL! Yeah, I'll be sure to appear in a cloud of smoke and start decimating part count! :)

We all explore different stuff in KSP. That is a good thing! But what I end up doing the most, really, is orbital housekeeping: rendezvouses and assemblies of big pieces that are supposed to go somewhere else and do stuff. Then, usually, a new version appears... and more often that not I have to scrap everything and kill all those awesome interplanetary motherships and cargo flights :( (wich is why I do such low part count stuff: I want to be able to fly fleets in close formation!). But I usually have time to at least set up the infrastucture on the kerbin system pretty much every time (orbital depots and mining bases in both moons, basically, plus a few wow projects like the recurring L3 colony project). Well, and then there are the gazillion hours in the VAB hammering the UI into doing things it was never meant to... My build-fu is what I'm most proud of. :cool:

Rune. I think I am going to be able to make it to Jool this update, if only because it is going to be a long one.

Edited by Rune
2000th post! Let's throw a party, I officially can't shut up!

Over engineering my missions to the point it takes four weeks of constructing and testing and a DeltaV budget upwards of 10km/s to do a 20 minute Duna mission

Because you know, if a solar panel breaks........we can't just ask for a new one. We gotta have a spare one on the ship. Or if that one breaks.... What if we get in our contingency fuel? That's a big no no.

Rune. I think I am going to be able to make it to Jool this update, if only because it is going to be a long one.

I know that feeling... been playing KSP since November, and my first probe arrived at Jool yesterday. There's so much to do in Kerbin SOI that I can't find an excuse to timewarp :S

I have a major tendency to build rockets planes, houses, cars, all sorts then never get round to using them in any way at all. I just love he building mostly.

Hence why I have only ever gone to the mun, minmus and duna with over 400 hours logged :)

Tweety

I have to admit that I've been burned out on KSP for a few months now. I hardly ever actually fire up the game anymore, I might get back into it once 1.0 hits (new aerodynamics! proper spaceplanes! resource mining for long-range deep-space missions! female kerbals! so good!). But the one thing I never stopped doing is dreaming up possible new designs for rockets/spacebases/spaceplanes/etc.

So I guess for me the biggest enjoyment from KSP comes from a part that is not, in fact, part of the program namely the creative bit: dreaming up designs.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.