HI there from OZ.

I have only started playing recently. My download is version .90. I have add-ons Mechjeb2 and docking assist.

My problem is this:

I have a number of different craft I have developed. I use RCS on most of these. I have developed what I call an insertion module to help with orbital placement.. It is a rocket pack that consists of a Rockomax X200-32 fuel tank with a Rockomax Poodle Liquid engine attached. It has two FL-R1 RCS tanks atop of that and old style RV-105 Thruster Blocks Placed Top, Bottom, Left and Right (at centre of mass). Atop of that it has an advanced inline reaction wheel, large, a stack de-coupler and a clamp-o-tron senior. Battery packs and solar attached. Flies like a dream.

Except when I put a Rock-O-Max Jumbo64 Fuel tank on top as a payload. Any other payload doesn't seem to affect it. The RCS thrusts perfectly forward and aft. Pitch, roll and yaw, no problem.

Try and translate left, right, up or down and the RCS goes glitchy. You hold down J K L or I and it does nothing. Until I release the key. Then I get a short jet of thrust for half a second. Remove the payload and the RCS works perfectly. I have tried shifting the RCS to a new centre of mass and adding additional RCS to the Jumbo 64. No luck.

Thanks for reading.

Any ideas?

SM

Welcome aboard!

With a problem like this, pictures are very important so we can see what might be happening. Do you have any pictures of the crafts and the glitch itself that we can have a look at? That is the first major step.

Sounds like MJ to me too. Please tell us what happens after you've followed Starwaster's advice.

Apart from that though - TWO FL-1R tanks!? That's a huge amount, and mass, of monopropellant. You also say a stack decoupler AND a docking port - you only need one of those to separate the vehicle and payload.

Thanks to all that responded. Its good to know there are some really intelligent people out there willing to help. Thanks Pecan for the heads up about the stack de-coupler. Was a remnant from an older craft (pre docking ports) and I use the RCS as a top up for a station I have for orbital based launches.

Anyway looks like you guys nailed it. Mech Jeb. Disabled and it works fine.

I will miss the data. I really liked having real time Apoapsis, orbital speed and actual height from ground on the main screen. Any suggestions for a replacement?

SM

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.