[1.0.x] Civilian Population 1.4

michaelhester07

I just wanted to say I'm really enjoying this mod.

First I made a station with a capacity of 25. Then, I tried for 50. Then.... this happened: :blush:

http://i19.servimg.com/u/f19/15/77/94/93/screen10.jpg

That is awesome, and I would love to see some more pictures. :)

I would try making such a thing myself, but my laptop struggles with anything more than a single biodome. On that note, I'm looking at making some mesh alterations to make the mod friendlier to slow computers.

that looks badass as heck! you should land it on minmus!

It was actually designed to land on the Mun. Unfortunately, I underestimated the force required to maneuver it. Even with 8 large reaction wheels and the equivalent of 960 RCS thrusters, it still takes 8-9 minutes to turn it. I doubt I could kill the horizontal speed and get it straight before running out of fuel. Maybe the next version will be able to do it. :)

That is awesome, and I would love to see some more pictures. :)

I would try making such a thing myself, but my laptop struggles with anything more than a single biodome. On that note, I'm looking at making some mesh alterations to make the mod friendlier to slow computers.

As requested:

screen13.jpg

screen11.jpg

This is a shot Jeb took while on a midnight stroll.

screen12.jpg

I just created a github for the project with source code updated, but i cant edit the OP :P

https://github.com/rabidninjawombat/CivilianPopulation/

Hence the reason to create my own thread, once the get plugin working properly in 1.0 :)

Good luck, I just found this due to the ongoing debate in mks about the 50th kerbal costing a full load of karbonite. I got super hyped till i noticed it broke epel. Cant wait till the 2 work together. the construction drone looks very interesting.

It was actually designed to land on the Mun. Unfortunately, I underestimated the force required to maneuver it. Even with 8 large reaction wheels and the equivalent of 960 RCS thrusters, it still takes 8-9 minutes to turn it. I doubt I could kill the horizontal speed and get it straight before running out of fuel. Maybe the next version will be able to do it. :)

I see another builder like me... I made a little rover with 2 domes and 120 pop :D for my first creation with this mod.

@Flying_Dutchman---- Thank looks pretty amazing :) nice layout. regarding landing something of that nature, i wouldnt try it LOL.. i would totally build it on site with EPL.

@Kendrick. ----- Progress update: I've got all the parts properly setup and working in game (with regards to 1.0 compatiblity) I've got all the converters migrated over to the Stock system. Thats all the easy stuff :P The plugins gonna take a little more time (having to rewrite and test a portion of it) Will keep this thread updated with the progress.

Flying_Dutchman: I love it. I would like to officially request being the first civilian to go there! :cool:

On another note, I've been trying to rework some of the models. I've managed to drastically reduce the polygon count in some cases, but I'm having trouble with some details. Anyone know if it's possible to set a surface as double-sided in KSP?

Not sure if this is a Civilian Population issue or something caused by another mod, but when I use a civilian dock(space) when it goes to the launch pad the first time it loads correctly, but if I revert launch, save then load or anything that reloads the craft it will at some point resize the dock to be about 25% smaller... Anything attached before hand is left floating in place where it would have been still attached.. This is even with no other mod parts used. Anyone seen a bug like this before? Im going to do some testing to try to sort out the cause.

Edit: Ok it would apear that the issue is caused when a part is the root. When it is, on any reload it will change size. A few of the other parts will do so as well. The MK2 Biosphere will actually increase in size... violently. It snapped off and launched the Mk1 Pod I was using for size reff over the VAB..

Looking in the CFG files Im not seeing any resizes so what could be causing this?... really odd. Could this have something to do with the model?

Edited by DigitalProeliator

Thank you guys for the kind support!

@Flying_Dutchman---- Thank looks pretty amazing :) nice layout. regarding landing something of that nature, i wouldnt try it LOL.. i would totally build it on site with EPL.

I considered using EPL. That would be the smart thing to do. But Kerbals aren't exactly known for always doing the "smart thing". So, I connected up a massive asparagus launcher and went for it. It hit 400k circular orbit on the first try (with 2 seconds of fuel remaining). Now, I just need some crazy plan to get it back down. I think Jeb has some ideas. :wink:

Not sure if this is a Civilian Population issue or something caused by another mod, but when I use a civilian dock(space) when it goes to the launch pad the first time it loads correctly, but if I revert launch, save then load or anything that reloads the craft it will at some point resize the dock to be about 25% smaller... Anything attached before hand is left floating in place where it would have been still attached.. This is even with no other mod parts used. Anyone seen a bug like this before? Im going to do some testing to try to sort out the cause.

Edit: Ok it would apear that the issue is caused when a part is the root. When it is, on any reload it will change size. A few of the other parts will do so as well. The MK2 Biosphere will actually increase in size... violently. It snapped off and launched the Mk1 Pod I was using for size reff over the VAB..

Looking in the CFG files Im not seeing any resizes so what could be causing this?... really odd. Could this have something to do with the model?

Are you using Tweakscale? I've seen this issue before with tweakscale and roots parts (even when the parts are rescaled)

That being said, your mileage may vary if you are using the mod on 1.0, not updated yet. Im pushing real hard to get it finished over the weekend :)

Are you using Tweakscale? I've seen this issue before with tweakscale and roots parts (even when the parts are rescaled)

That being said, your mileage may vary if you are using the mod on 1.0, not updated yet. Im pushing real hard to get it finished over the weekend :)

Just tested it and its still doing it even with tweakscale removed... I guess for now Ill just have to make sure that none of the CP parts are a root part. Still annoying.

Cosmic_Farmer: Any chance we can get a peak on the things your working on?

Hello!

This is my first post, and I'll post about... a "bug". Or is it a "feature"?

I've got plenty of mods installed, and I started a new career... Played for quite a few hours... (My life is fascinating, isn't it?) and encountered a bug when I unlocked the launching clamps.

The TT18-A Stability Enhancer acts very weird when the mod is installed : it sticks to the vessel, doesn't appear in the staging, so, when I try to take-off, I just get stuck on the launchpad...

This is how the Stability Enhancer works WITHOUT the mod installed : http://prntscr.com/7agrei

This is how it works WITH the mod installed :http://prntscr.com/7agv3m

As you can see, WITH the mod, the stability enhancer seems to float in air in the VAB. When I hit launch, the vessel touches the ground, the stability enhancer is partially in the ground, I cannot "decouple" from it (see how it isn't in the staging sequence?), and I'm stuck.

Anyone had this issue before? Is this a new issue?

Rabidninjawombat just took over this mod and is working to make it compatible with 1.0.X. I believe that currently there is no license so there is no download. (But its not up-to-date anyway.) Rabidninjawombat makes good mods, so just give him some time and come back in a bit. He said he might be done in the next couple of days. (And I for one am looking forward to it).

Just was checking in to see how things where going. Any news?

Got all the Civilian related features working smoothly, Just doing some final testing at this point :) I will have a release thread up late tomorrow after i get home from work more than likely

The Automated construction drone is the only feature that is not working at the moment, it will need a bit more work. But seeing as how you can use EPL to do the exact same function, ill leave it out of the release till i get it working.

Got all the Civilian related features working smoothly, Just doing some final testing at this point :) I will have a release thread up late tomorrow after i get home from work more than likely

The Automated construction drone is the only feature that is not working at the moment, it will need a bit more work. But seeing as how you can use EPL to do the exact same function, ill leave it out of the release till i get it working.

Awesome! Thanks for your work.

I've been working on overhauling some of the models for the mod, as most of them take up a lot more memory than necessary, and many are missing textures. I have dabbled in exporting parts into KSP before, but never released anything. I've learned a lot about Blender and Unity while making these, but am still struggling with some of it. Here is what I've done so far:

2lwr8n9.jpg

In the middle, you can see a ring to serve as walls for a base, or as the center of constructions like this. I thought that rather than having a single-direction base, a double-direction base and a wall-less base, it might be better to have just the bare base, and a wall section which could be added to the top, the bottom, or both. Also gives more options for wall height (by adjusting its position in the editor).

On the left is a reworked dome. I've reduced the number of layers in it. It has the same dimensions, but increased visibility, and the filesize is 1/4 what it was.

The dome also has no hull attached to the top, but there's a flat window there which you can use to attach stuff to the top, as before, or use as a skylight:

2zyann9.jpg

Roald likes the view.

I've rejigged the small hydroponics module, making it slightly narrower, and packing a lot more vegetation in. (New one is on the left, here)

2qc1ath.jpg

I need to work out how to add lights in Unity, but aside from that, it seems done. (New one is on the right)

2m4ozzn.jpg

Here is an original medium-sized hydroponics module on top of a newer one. Still WIP.

34rakbr.jpg

I've tried to replace the frame in the old model with an icosphere with a frame texture. I'm sure it could work well, if I can find the right way to do it. Filesize is less than 1/3 what it was.

Here is the large garden biosphere:

1zdc750.jpg

I've added some more detail to it, including hatches for kerbals to go in and explore nature (no plans for an IVA, though. :P), as well as a ladder running down each side of the main shaft. I've greatly increased the leafiness of the trees, and still reduced the poly count enough to get the filesize down to just over 1/3 what it was.

Finally, the size 3 housing unit:

md1va0.jpg

I've brought the end connections in and added textures where they were absent. I'm working on doing a vague inside view which can be seen through the windows, but it needs a lot more work.

Any comments and suggestions are appreciated.

Wow looks like some amazing work! Flat surfaces for attaching things are very welcome as it was annoying trying to get lights and solar panels to line up correctly. When you say hatches and ladders, do you mean you can actually control the kerbals inside of the biospheres like you currently can with the custom build domes? If so that would be awesome.

Any comments and suggestions are appreciated.

Awesome work Cosmic_Farmer, id be happy to take a look at the new models and replace exisiting models if they fit in :) Ive got a few model changes also planned myself , after coding is done. Feel free to PM me with any info or questions.

Also converting all existing textures to DDS shortly. :

Speaking of which: New Thread and download is up!

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/124162-1-0-2-Civilian-Population-1-5-%28update-6-2-15%29?p=1992153#post1992153

Current issues as posted above: EPL releated features: Construction drone, etc: are not included as i have a few more kinks to work out of it. Should have that done by Thursday.

All Civilian related features should be working smoothly. The numbers may need a balancing pass, since i've updated to stock converters. But feel free to direct any question or concerns to the new thread and let this thread fade out :)

Will see if the mods will let me close it :P

Edited by rabidninjawombat

Have a small issue, I can not find the tube you are using to connect buildings as seen on picture number 18 from top finds nor airlock seen in the same image, do this comes from another addon and which if so. Thanks in advance and thanks for a really great addon keep up the good work!