Could KSP Switch To Using Unreal Engine 4?

On 25-1-2017 at 1:12 PM, Red Iron Crown said:

Unity can be quite good graphically, an engine change would not be needed to improve KSP visuals.

Wow, with what the most Unity developed games manage to achieve graphically wise, I find it hard to believe that this is from the Unity engine...

Still, would love to have such level of graphics in KSP... NASA would never want to fire off a real rocket, they'd just be playing KSP all day.

3 hours ago, Adelaar said:

Wow, with what the most Unity developed games manage to achieve graphically wise, I find it hard to believe that this is from the Unity engine...

Why? It's a freakin movie. It's easy to squeze most of engine with a movie - as a designer you have complete control over every frame and use models and effects to fullest. Its harder to do when player can go around at poke around dark corners and unexpected angles. And its completely, utterly, coreblowingly different to make creative game where player can affect scene directly, adding complexity (and rendered polygons) at leisure.

3 hours ago, Adelaar said:

Still, would love to have such level of graphics in KSP... NASA would never want to fire off a real rocket, they'd just be playing KSP all day.

Easy. Make all ships into one big, detailed model. Use simple "one number" (read: shields) instead of proper collision physics. In short, turn it into yet another stupid space shooter, and you will be left with lots of computing power to render something visualy impressive. But I doubt NASA folk would be fooled by that.

• 3 years later...

Very old bump, but could Vulcan or similar be used to bridge such things and use multiple engine codes at once somehow. If you could get the engine makers to make vulcan code or have companies make their own maybe a way to get rid of the need to choose and engine could be found so you don't have to change code as much as try out different engines in one ecosystem. Then, if possible, pic and choose which part of which engine is best for your software and then get specialized engines to do different things like visuals vs physics?

Edited by Arugela
4 hours ago, Arugela said:

Very old bump, but could Vulcan or similar be used to bridge such things and use multiple engine codes at once somehow. If you could get the engine makers to make vulcan code or have companies make their own maybe a way to get rid of the need to choose and engine could be found so you don't have to change code as much as try out different engines in one ecosystem. Then, if possible, pic and choose which part of which engine is best for your software and then get specialized engines to do different things like visuals vs physics?

Vulkan is a Graphics API, so not in the way you think.

Both Unity and Unreal support it, but they both might implement it differently. Plus there's code that is completely independent of the Graphics API that will be varied between them as well.

So the answer is "Yes...but not really as much as you'd think"

I’m mean. It would be nice but what would happen if the game crashed? And also. KSP take up a lot of space. The switch might not have enough space. If so barley. On the PS4 after I downloaded KSP my storage was the go 25% to 55%. Or something like that. It took a LOTTTTTTT OFFFFFF SPACEEEEE!

15 minutes ago, Dr. Kerbal said:

I’m mean. It would be nice but what would happen if the game crashed? And also. KSP take up a lot of space. The switch might not have enough space. If so barley. On the PS4 after I downloaded KSP my storage was the go 25% to 55%. Or something like that. It took a LOTTTTTTT OFFFFFF SPACEEEEE!

You really think this is getting a switch port?

LEL

Also... that's pretty impressive considering the PC version is around 12GB. So even with a 500GB HDD that's hardly a jump from 120GB to 250GB.

Either the console versions are even more horrible than I thought, or you might need to recheck your numbers xD

Um. No. They would have to rewrite th PE game, and that takes a lot of work. Also I’m not sure but what if all your saves or gone or you have to buy a new KSP game?

On 1/16/2021 at 7:22 PM, Incarnation of Chaos said:

You really think this is getting a switch port?

LEL

Also... that's pretty impressive considering the PC version is around 12GB. So even with a 500GB HDD that's hardly a jump from 120GB to 250GB.

Either the console versions are even more horrible than I thought, or you might need to recheck your numbers xD

Wait, no sorry, but a chunk of space was taken last time I remember before I got KSP. It increased by some gigabytes. But that also might be my pictures on the PS4.

On 1/16/2021 at 7:22 PM, Incarnation of Chaos said:

There are also lots of bugs. 

just wait to ksp 2 to get better graphics because I dont think the ksp team is going for graphics at all when creating ksp. they have redon the ttextures for some celestial bodies but that probably the most graphics youll get in a while

20 hours ago, Dr. Kerbal said:

Um. No. They would have to rewrite th PE game, and that takes a lot of work. Also I’m not sure but what if all your saves or gone or you have to buy a new KSP game?

Wait, no sorry, but a chunk of space was taken last time I remember before I got KSP. It increased by some gigabytes. But that also might be my pictures on the PS4.

There are also lots of bugs. 

I knew about the bugs, but if it took more space on top that's even worse lel.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/20/2021 at 7:34 PM, jastrone said:

just wait to ksp 2 to get better graphics because I dont think the ksp team is going for graphics at all when creating ksp. they have redon the ttextures for some celestial bodies but that probably the most graphics youll get in a while

GC19: Kerbal Space Program 2 für das Frühjahr 2020 angekündigt - News |  GamersGlobal.de

Kerbal Space Program 2 gets nuclear pulse rockets and metallic hydrogen  fuel | PCGamesN

I disagree, I would say they did 1. a great job in giving us new stuff and 2. made the graphics super nice on pretty much all stuff we've seen (and this is still early alpha)