The Stingray - 200 tons of beauty. Cruiser and lander in one vehicle. With Ion Bikes! And interior!

So I got bored with the way landing usually works: Using a transfer vehicle to the target planet/moon, land a lander, get back up and rendezvous and then continue on. It made me think: why not use just one craft to do it all? And why not make this craft rather spectacular? And also give it an interior, as I did with my Gigacruiser, the K-Star Supreme?

Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you: The Stingray. Oh and some Ion Bikes as well, so that the Kerbals can get around on the surface ;)

EDIT: Here's the .craft file!

Edited by ShadowZone

Dang dude, that's mighty pretty. I especially like the ion bike! When I run missions, I like to bring rovers along to milk science points, but those take forever. I think you've invented a better alternative. Do you think slapping some RTGs on it would nix the electricity problem, or would it be too heavy?

Thanks!

The ion bike version in the video is a little outdated. I made one with 8 1x6 solar panels (4 on each side) that mitigates the electricity problem somewhat. You could also spam it with the smallest battery since it is massless and therefore doesn't reduce TWR.

The Ion Bike as it is has just an inchling more than 1.01 TWR on Duna. Maybe I get rid of one or two Xenon tanks (4800 m/s dV currently is probably overkill) so save weight so I can add more batteries or panels or RTGs.

So I got bored with the way landing usually works: Using a transfer vehicle to the target planet/moon, land a lander, get back up and rendezvous and then continue on. It made me think: why not use just one craft to do it all? And why not make this craft rather spectacular? And also give it an interior, as I did with my Gigacruiser, the K-Star Supreme?

Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you: The Stingray. Oh and some Ion Bikes as well, so that the Kerbals can get around on the surface ;)

That looks awesome! Sounds like you have some bugs with the part parenting stuff I am always bringing up (you mention fuel routing issues, and that's usually the first symptom), so that's a shame, but still, well done! And the Ion bikes... well, suffice to say I will be building something along those lines. They are darn cute!

Rune. "Inspiring" myself with ideas form the forum is fun!

I will be building something along those lines. They are darn cute!

Well that was quick:

u3pIhIM.png

Rune. Much simpler without science, but look at those stats: if something is worth doing, it's worth overdoing.

Well that was quick:

http://i.imgur.com/u3pIhIM.png

Rune. Much simpler without science, but look at those stats: if something is worth doing, it's worth overdoing.

Haha! How about a Duna Ion Bike circumnavigation challenge? ;)

ok, so where are your craft files for your ship?

i have been inspired.

Thanks for reminding me! Put it in the original post.

"Landers, we don't need to frickin' landers"

Ironic since the craft technically is a lander :D

Good job building it nonetheless. It's awesome!

Haha, true! Thanks :)

• 3 months later...

Love what you done its a pity they that squad did not make real interiors so the kerbal's can walk around and push buttons but thank Raster Prop Monitor we now have buttons and screens in cockpits.

Keep pushing the game to its limits.......

• 7 months later...

This ship is awesome! Can't wait to try it out, but... When I attempted to launch it from the runway, it told me "some parts are locked or unavailable". I have the 1.0.5 version of KSP; were any mods used in making this ship, or was it just designed for an earlier version? Keep up the good work!

1 hour ago, Nyxor said:

This ship is awesome! Can't wait to try it out, but... When I attempted to launch it from the runway, it told me "some parts are locked or unavailable". I have the 1.0.5 version of KSP; were any mods used in making this ship, or was it just designed for an earlier version? Keep up the good work!

Yeah, judging by the date this was posted, the ship was made before 1.0. Not exactly sure why it says it has unavailable parts, unless you are in career mode, but still, it's a pre-1.0 ship. Chances are it might not work as it did before.

19 hours ago, Nyxor said:

NECROPOST DETECTED ALERT ALERT

Fatal Error, System Crash

Forum.exe is unresponsive

• 6 months later...
On February 9, 2016 at 10:00 PM, Nyxor said:

Download Mechjeb. The only missing part is from there. Hope you enjoy the craft none the less like I did!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.