Kemini Research Program - Early science and money

N3h3mia

Nehemiah Engineering - Kemini Research Program(KRP)

Early science from experiments based on real experiments from the Gemini Program

This mod adds 5 new experiments to your game. The experiments are installed in the Command Pod Mk1 and can be executed in space. To found your space program Nehemiah Engineering is offering you science contracts.

Download from Kerbalstuff

Update 0.1.2

• Performance improvements
  • Support for Gemini style capsules from K2, Tantares and HGR

Update 0.1.1

• Support for Gemini capsule from frizzank's FASA mod

Kemini Experiments

The experiments are based on real experiments from the Gemini Program.

Other science mods from Nehemiah Engineering

Nehemiah Engineering offers science for all tech levels.

3s1Doyj.jpg

Contributors

• micha: CLS configurations and bug fixes.
  • whiteout1911: StageRecovery support for contracts
  • The Yellow Dart: Nehemiah Engineering and Kerbal Life Science flag
  • Marcelo Silveira: FASA support

Testing-Team

• micha
  • Sangrias
  • volkkeslate

License: GNU GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE Version 3

Source code and bug tracker at GitHub

Edited by N3h3mia

I like it! Real Gemini inspired missions and Research!

Now we have even more use for our command pods.

You should expand the pod experiment bays for other missions (like the little satellites that some Apollo missions launched).

Tried it last night. Very good. I'm all for extra things to do in low orbit. This really add something to 64k and RSS gameplay.

You should expand the pod experiment bays for other missions (like the little satellites that some Apollo missions launched).

Mr. Manley misspoke/was downright incorrect. The Apollo astronauts did not throw sats out the window. These were launched, released, from the service module via them flipping a switch. The kerbal equivalent would be a sat, probably just a probe core and battery, attached via a decoupler.

Tried it last night. Very good. I'm all for extra things to do in low orbit. This really add something to 64k and RSS gameplay.

Mr. Manley misspoke/was downright incorrect. The Apollo astronauts did not throw sats out the window. These were launched, released, from the service module via them flipping a switch. The kerbal equivalent would be a sat, probably just a probe core and battery, attached via a decoupler.

Yes, i'm aware of that...

I'm talking about the Scientific Instruments Module wich contained these instruments on Apollo 15:

X-ray fluorescence detector

gamma ray spectrometer

alpha-particle spectrometer

panoramic camera

3-inch mapping camera

laser altimeter

dual-beam mass specrometer

a subsatellite

Those are definitely candidates for the next update. I have several ideas for the next version. But I'll have no time to work on a real update until August. Until then bug fixes and small stuff only.

Talking of small stuff I added support for the Gemini capsules from the FASA mod.

Edited by N3h3mia

Are you gonna add a compatibility update for Tantares Gemini pod?

It's now big deal so yeah. I wasn't aware that Tantares mod contains a Gemini pod, I thought it covers only the Russian space program.

It's now big deal so yeah. I wasn't aware that Tantares mod contains a Gemini pod, I thought it covers only the Russian space program.

Yeah... Tantares has a Gemini pod... he did the modpack in the opposite of Orionkermin's HGR: He started with Russian parts and ended with Gemini and Orionkermin started with a Gemini pod and ended with Russian parts...

Will something like this work so any crew part can run it and can the name here be changed abbreviation = ( Comand Pod mk1 ) ?

@PART[*]:HAS[!MODULE[Kemini_Module],#CrewCapacity[1]]
{

MODULE
{
name = Kemini_Module

abbreviation = Comand Pod mk1
minimumCrew = 1

EquipmentSlot
{
NE_LabEquipmentSlot
{
type = KEMINI
}
}
}

MODULE
{
name = ExperimentStorage
identifier = Kemini 1
chanceTexture = false
type = KEMINI
}
MODULE
{
name = ExperimentStorage
identifier = Kemini 2
chanceTexture = false
type = KEMINI
}
}

@PART[*]:HAS[!MODULE[Kemini_Module],#CrewCapacity[2]]
{

MODULE
{
name = Kemini_Module

minimumCrew = 1

EquipmentSlot
{
NE_LabEquipmentSlot
{
type = KEMINI
}
}
}

MODULE
{
name = ExperimentStorage
identifier = Kemini 1
chanceTexture = false
type = KEMINI
}
MODULE
{
name = ExperimentStorage
identifier = Kemini 2
chanceTexture = false
type = KEMINI
}
}

@PART[*]:HAS[!MODULE[Kemini_Module],#CrewCapacity[3]]
{

MODULE
{
name = Kemini_Module

minimumCrew = 1

EquipmentSlot
{
NE_LabEquipmentSlot
{
type = KEMINI
}
}
}

MODULE
{
name = ExperimentStorage
identifier = Kemini 1
chanceTexture = false
type = KEMINI
}
MODULE
{
name = ExperimentStorage
identifier = Kemini 2
chanceTexture = false
type = KEMINI
}
}

Will something like this work so any crew part can run it and can the name here be changed abbreviation = ( Comand Pod mk1 ) ?

This should work and you can change the abbreviation. This value is used in some of the ui. But I'm not sure them are used in the Kemini experiments. The Kemini_Module is based on the Lab modules and they use this value. I'm not sure if I will include this in the mod, I'll don't think it is sensible adding slots to capsule down in the techtree the return in science is so small that there is no profit in running Kemini experiments in later capsules.

Hey, I love the mod - more realistic experiments are always cool. But whenever I load one of your experiments into the pod, on launch (And for the whole mission sadly) it runs at about half FPS. It's weird - there's no textures, no parts, so nothing should be making my computer suddenly start chugging like an ancient coal-powered IBM or something.

Hey, I love the mod - more realistic experiments are always cool. But whenever I load one of your experiments into the pod, on launch (And for the whole mission sadly) it runs at about half FPS. It's weird - there's no textures, no parts, so nothing should be making my computer suddenly start chugging like an ancient coal-powered IBM or something.

I have a performance improvement in the making right now. It should be released in the next days.

Edit:

The performance update is released now.

Edited by N3h3mia

I must be doing something wrong. I installed this, along with the other packs from the All-In-One download, and while I can see the experiment slots on my Mk I command pod, when I try to install an experiment, the list is empty.

I started a new game, and when I have enough science to unlock basic rocketry, I'm not seeing the experiments there. In a previous game with much of the tech tree unlocked, the same holds true.

Any ideas?

First check if you have the "Experiments" folder with the "Kemini" folder and that it contains the experiments part files (e.g. D5.cfg). The experiments are part with no category so the should not show up in the VAB part list but the should show up in the tech tree or in the part list in advanced mode for example when sorting the list by tech level in level 2 and 3. Or you can use the Debug Tool Bar to check the part database for does parts.

14OBFAQ.png

If you have the files installed but the part don't show up please check the log for errors during part loading.

I was able to get this working by looking through output_log, thanks for the suggestions.

This was a result of my using KSP MOD Admin to install the mod. It chose not to maintain the folder structure in the zip file, ignoring the top-level NehemiahInc folder and instead installing all of the sub folders directly into Gamedata. When KSP tried loading the experiments, it was attempting to clone a model with a absolute path of /NehemiahInc/... which of course, failed.

I can only assume it did so to support it's conflict resolution; If you have multiple part.cfg files, for instance, how else could you tell if they conflicted other that by the path, which would need to assume that they would all have roughly the same depth. (Well, I guess you could look inside the .cfgs for various keys. would be easier if there was versioning info in there. I guess that's what CKAN is doing with metadata. Now I'm way off on a tangent)

Regardless, I was able to override this behavior in KSP MOD Admin by overriding the automatic destination of the NehemiahInc folder (right click, set destination, Gamedata). Maybe it's time to switch to CKAN, there seems to be a fair amount of momentum in that direction.

Thanks again, I look forward to running these experiments.

Nice, first manned Munar orbit in my new 20% career netted 135 science :) That's mostly down to a D5, a D8 and a PPMD, I do believe - Jeb is currently getting drunk with the rest of the team, so I'll send someone else on the next flight. Which shall have an solar panel. Luxury!

Thanks, N3h3mia, this set of mods has made getting out of Kerbin's SOI so much more valuable than hanging around and doing airplane contracts! Not that I don't like planes, but with the tech tree as it is, they're not the first thing we get xD

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.