A Spacetime Oddity - The Engineer Diaries [With special guest author!]

Tex

This little fanfic I'm writing was born in my mission report: A Spacetime Oddity, and I decided it would be better off in the correct section so I can get better critiquing and whatnot from it. Please enjoy, and be sure to visit the mission report this is based off of, too!

the Engineer Diaries

Table of Contents

Chapter 1: the Fact of the Matter Back to Top

Written by Bill Kerman, Chief Engineer

Translated by KSP Linguistics Team

When one thinks of space and space travel, one always thinks of the great achievements of the age. One sees the accomplishment of the first spacefaring Kosmonaut, or a probe racing through the heavens at more than two or three kilometres per second to strike a planet wind-blown with red dust storms. One sees the results of the true Kerbal endeavor... But hardly does one think of the processes and the countless hours of work that got them up there.

That's what I do. I don't fly (or at least, I haven't yet...), I work on the ground. In the trenches, as it were. I am an engineer, which means I solve practical problems. When the administration team comes up with a set of orders for a new spacecraft, a new probe, a new capsule or rover or anything else that requires designing and building, they call on me. I am the Chief Engineer at the Kerbal Space Program, an "orange suit." I run a team of fellow engineers that are grouped depending on the specific type of engineering required. Probe engineers, rover engineers, the other-things-I-mentioned engineers.

Personally, my favorite is Rover engineering. That's what I love to do- there's nothing better than driving along on a rover that I designed! Had my fair share of accidents, too... These are some fun time's were living in.

Anywho, I decided to create this sort of collection, the Engineer Diaries, to sort of show a different side of things. While we may not get as much recognition as, say, Jebediah, Jedemone, or Richbles Kerman, the engineers are important to consider too. That's the fact of the matter. I hope the information I can jot down in my spare time can enlighten a few people.

-Bill Kerman, Chief Engineer

Chapter 2: Equipment Testing Back to Top

Engineering is an exact science. Quite literally. The equipment my team and I design are the spawn of perfectly drawn plans, down to a scale nearly too small to be even drawn with our slide rulers! The amount of planning and patience involved in engineering is intense. And the math... Don't even get me started.

Engineering does have its perks, though. Equipment testing! Taking our ideas, and after the hundreds of hours spent designing and building, getting to perform tests on them. From drop tests to parachute-valiancy tests to land-speed tests- Testing is where we engineers get to have our fun. Of course, sometimes these tests themselves require engineering prowess, such as the construction of big flame buckets to direct the exhaust of a rocket engine on the test stand. Those things have to be super tough.

As I've written previously, I love rovers. What better way to test rovers than a road trip?

e7WnBOg.jpg

I love driving around the KSC on rovers that I design! There's no better way to spend an afternoon than driving around in a spacesuit and getting to put the machine through its paces! And if it breaks during testing, guess what? We can put it back together again! Though the testing and training phases for Pilot Kosmonauts largely behind the scenes, I thought I'd write about it this time because I love it so much.

Chapter 3: Failure Is, Indeed, Always an Option Back to Top

One of the most frequent questions I'm asked during, say, job shadows or interviews (not that I get a lot...) is in regards to my machines, and more specifically, what happens when they fail.

In short, I learn.

Failure is literally a way of life. Not just for engineers, either! Failure is going to follow you wherever you go, hampering plans and ruining days. I know I've had my fair share of failures. However, the important thing to remember is that failure is one of the greatest tools in your arsenal.

Let me give an example: The recent Duna-1 mission, which was a pretty big gamble in itself, required just over 170,000 funds to build the massive rocket that would carry the payload. And that was after design changes and the reduction of the size of the rocket, mind you! Well, even after all that, somehow some engineers under my watch forgot to put batteries on the spacecraft. Literally, the only battery left was the internals on the probe core.

The problem went undiscovered until the craft was in space, and therefore there was an enormous controversy on the ground about what to do about it. Because the craft still had solar panels mounted on it, the craft would not run out of charge so long as the SAS systems in place were not used, and so the mission controllers decided to go ahead with the mission anyway. The craft was switched to RCS power and away it went out of Kerbin's SoI.

The mission was a failure anyway, however, because the craft missed Duna entirely.

It ALSO turns out that not only were there no batteries, but after the spacecraft shot right on by the Reddish Planet, the scientist team came back and said that they'd discovered a method of using approximately one-fifth the Delta-v. Wow. That was a shocker. Though the Newsflash team didn't say so (or perhaps it was covered up... and perhaps I shouldn't mention it...), the KSP was basically the laughingstock of other rival space programs for a time afterwards.

So the point I'm trying to get across to you here is that failure is always an option. Failure gives you the information you need to fix the problems associated with a particular situation, or at the very least inspires you to look for a solution or workaround. So if there's one thing you take away from this today, it's that you should never be afraid to fail!

Besides, sometimes failures are fun to watch!

Chapter 4: Space in the Heart and Mind Back to Top

Written by Neilgrasse deKerman, Space Popularizer

Edited by Bill Kerman, Chief Engineer

It is quite obvious to say that space holds a particular interest in our species. One must only ever glance up at the night sky to realize that we are quite alone, tiny and seemingly insignificant in a vast and empty cosmos that stretches literally farther than the eye can see. Farther than even telescopes can see.

In early times, ancient peoples would use the heavens as a tool, a calendar to predict times when to reap and sow, when to migrate and when the herds of wild animals would come around again. The sky foretold of disasters, war, famine, disease. While such claims are dubious indeed, there was an undeniable correlation between events and sights, and those who came before us took it as law. And so it was for a very, very long time.

However, things were not to last. As the early Kerbals began to evolve and invent new technologies, many things started to change. Before the electric light, the moon and stars were the only way to see at night, and it was a faint thing at best. Suddenly, though, we were able to bring the stars down to Kerbin, illuminating our lives and the night landscape. This had dire consequences. We began to lose the sky itself- as the light pollution from these artificial lights became more and more commonplace, the night sky began to dim, and the galaxies and even the stars started hiding from view, outshone by Kerbal ingenuity. The Kerbal race lost touch with the sky. So how do we fix such a problem?

Well, there are a multitude of solutions. Kerbals seem inexplicably drawn to the cosmos, and strive to look into the vast emptiness and gaze at its wonder. It's in our genes! Then there are the works of famous scientists, engineers, and other popularizers of science and wonderment, the foremost of which I can think of would be none other than Carlgan Kerman. These great Kerbals served to instill, or rather re-instill, that sense of belonging in the cosmos in our blood, in our mind and hearts. It's a dedication I've also made to the Kerbal species- I'm writing this to you, aren't I?

I have one message, and one message only. Never lose sight of the stars. Go outside some night, look up into the sky and see what you can see. We belong up there, not just down here. There's lots of places to go, and lots of things to do.

-Neilgrasse deKerman

-Afterword-

This chapter was written by a good friend, Neilgrasse deKerman, who graciously agreed to write a chapter in the Diaries for me! He's truly an inspiration, and I would recommend you look at some of his work. I agree with the whole darn thing.

Chapter 5: Dealing With Repetition Back to Top

I find that one of the most challenging things about working in the space program is the constant fear of being "burnt out," as it were, on the little things.

Sure, in recent days, the Space Program I work under has made tremendous progress, even landing on the planet Eve for the first time ever! My boss still can't be more pleased about it, but it just seems like as of late I've been off my game.

Designing things that go into space- that go into space!- is undoubtedly fun, and it is one of the best things about this world! Make no mistake, it is my passion and I love doing it. It just gets boring sometimes.

The boredom can be a killer. Things get taken for granted and people mess up. It is quite important to find a way to circumvent these stints of boredom, of monotony, and keep moving forward, to never lose interest. There are several things I've found that can help relieve the pressure of doing everything right.

1) Take a nice, relaxing trip. Whether for Science or fun, road trips or plane joyrides can be a blast! There's always new things to see on Kerbin, and I know for a fact, having ridden along with a pilot kosmonaut in an experimental two-seater jet, that buzzing mountaintops is exhilarating and extremely terrifying. Certainly not for the faint of heart, but it can give you the excitement you need.

2) Be inspired! Sometimes all it takes is a little inspiration. I find that reading a good book about space, watching a good TV program, or even looking at the sky can rejuvenate interest in what I do. There's so much beauty in space, and it's important to be able to feel great about looking up there and being happy with it.

3) Set a goal! Sometimes, all it takes is a little prompting. Set goals for yourself, and work on reaching them. In informal conversations with Maxwell Kerman, the KSP CEO, I find that he does exactly this- He tells me often of his goals and what he wants to do. Finding out how to do interplanetary missions has been a longtime goal of his, and he's recently accomplished it over the last several years of the Program. Now he's looking for a new thing to work on.

So that's my take on the matter. Boredom sure is boring, but I'm confident things will pick up again.

Chapter 6: Ecstasy, Invoked by Space Travel Back to Top

Written by Neilgrasse deKerman, Space Popularizer

Edited by Bill Kerman, Chief Engineer

I'm so excited! Just recently, I was finally selected to be part of a mission, the first mission of the new Kosmos program as designated Engineer! Oh, it's such an amazing experience to finally get to go into space! I mean, that's what I've been dreaming of ever since I was a little kid!

Space looks so much better once you're up there, and the planets and moons... Incredible. I was also designated to take pictures during the mission, and the Program recently released the album of my photographs. Enjoy!

Javascript is disabled. View full album

These images, I hope, can convey at least a little bit of my emotion at the time. It was an amazing experience, and I surely hope that next time I will get to practice my craft in space as well. I will certainly get my engineers working on projects. I hear that there are some surface outposts and orbital stations in need of designing... Stay tuned!

Edited by Maximus97

So much for the playthrough we were promised.

Wha? What do you mean playthrough? Check the link in my signature for the mission report, if that's what you mean.

But thanks :D

• 4 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.