(Turn-based) Kerbal Multiplayer Collaboration

Thunderous Echo

I think he means launching all in one go without pre-sent fuel would be too hard.

Ah. In that case, you just need a clever mission profile and ship design, and you can get away with about a Rockomax Orange from LKO.

Actaully, if you would like me to elaborate, I was considering making a video studying the Jool-5.

Yeah that sounds pretty cool. I've done fewer and fewer interplanetary missions as time went on. I never really liked the feeling of time warping to get the planets in the right position then warping to get there faster.

If there are no complaints, I'll start the first turn of cycle 2 in an hour by fixing the station (and de-orbiting or lifting to a thrash orbit the current one). I'll launch the crew transfer vehicles too.

I won't do much this cycle so anyone else can play today too. Will probably finish my turn around two hours after starting. (So around 03/29 @1:00 a.m. UTC)

Edit: I got no reply so I'll wait till 4:00 a.m. UTC to play. If anyone else wants to go beforehand you are welcome to. Also, any comments or ideas on the station would be nice.

Edited by bakanando

Edit: I got no reply so I'll wait till 4:00 a.m. UTC to play. If anyone else wants to go beforehand you are welcome to. Also, any comments or ideas on the station would be nice.

I didn't reply because I didn't have any complaints about your plan. :wink:

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, we need a couple more players for the Jool Club, if anyone is interested.

I'm interested. Since one of the rules is no communications about the missions, let me just say this: If my contributions are not up to snuff, please kick me off the team. :D Where do I post my pictures? in this thread?

Edited by Asharad

If there are no complaints, I'll start the first turn of cycle 2 in an hour ...

As the most popular solution to our dillema was to start Cycle 2 prematurely, I will stand by your decision to take a Cycle 2 turn now.

(Also, it would start in less than 11 hours anyway.)

If there are no complaints, I'll start the first turn of cycle 2 in an hour by fixing the station (and de-orbiting or lifting to a thrash orbit the current one). I'll launch the crew transfer vehicles too.

I won't do much this cycle so anyone else can play today too. Will probably finish my turn around two hours after starting. (So around 03/29 @1:00 a.m. UTC)

Was the parts count the only problem with your original design? Perhaps a triangular station would help with that while still being useful and, most importantly, looking cool :)

I can take my turn on Cycle 2 later in the week, say from Wednesday onwards. Might pay a visit to whatever sort of station you come up with, as well as adding a module or two to Chronus station.

Yeah, parts count was the biggest problem. I reduced it to 150 parts while still keeping the same shape and added the glaringly missing docking port jr.'s. It seems that building something while sleep depraved is not that good an idea.

I'd rather have something that is useful for everyone than having a pretty station that nobody will use. I'll either launch the improved version of the Hub or launch a different design with 100 parts (or less if at all possible). I'll make the desing today and upload the pics of both stations so everyone can decide which to use.

The other one has to go, so I'll either move it into a graveyard orbit, deorbit it (or decomission it from the control center), shoot it out of the kerbin system, send it to Minmus, or send it to a trans-minmusian orbit as a kerbal prison. I don't know wether it has enough dV for any option beyond deorbiting it, but I think it can at least escape the kerbin system.

What have you guys accomplished?

Go!

3 Kerbin space stations (one decorative, one crew, one private), 5 Tractor nuclear tugs in LKO, 1 Jool refueling station, 1 Space Taxi, 1 Mun outpost, 1 Eve outpost (with a rover) (we're working on getting the crew back), 5 kerbals waiting to come back from a Duna/Ike mission, and a Tylo "mission".

I think that's all, but there might be more.

I withdraw from the Jool Club, because it looks too difficult for me. I can't see myself being successful without player communication and planning. Sorry.

Today I tested my 20 ton designs (on a different save). With the mothership parked at LJO, my 20t lander consumes all of it's fuel while trying to transition to other orbits. Specifically, unless the mothership is parked near Pol, I think a 20t lander can't get there and back. So anyways, I'm out. Have fun!

I withdraw from the Jool Club, because it looks too difficult for me. I can't see myself being successful without player communication and planning. Sorry.

I hear ya. The ships in the save don't even look like challengers. It would've been awesome to use my new micro-Laythe lander.

Ok, since no one else is grabbing it (I'd think there would be more applications now...) I'll start the second cycle.

There's a bunch of fuel-containing debris in LKO and I have an idea of what to do with all that fuel...

How this works is:

We have a repository of files on Google Drive, which can be accessed using the link in the OP.

A player's turn starts with them downloading the file. They then have exclusive access for two days. At the end of that time (or when they're finished, if earlier) they upload the current (to them) state of the game as a new save file (we say file, it's actually the save folder, just zipped).

There are only a few rules for play (basically: don't mess with other's ships without permission, and observe reasonable part count limits in public spaces).

The rules for when you can take a turn are equally simple: if a) no one is currently using the save, and B) you haven't taken a turn this cycle, then you can take a turn. The cycles are managed by Thunderous Echo, but essentially end (and a new one starts) when everyone who is active has taken their turn.

Posting of videos and/or images of your missions is encouraged (but in no way required).

Only other rule is that the save must be left in such a way as it can be loaded into a 100% stock installation. So it's OK to use mods, but you can't leave anything requiring them (debris, ships, etc.) when you upload the save.

Here's the short summary of my turn:

1) Refueled and landed W-11 Callisto (the shuttle I stranded last time). Also took down a spent stage that was hanging in the polar orbit.

2) Launched Arsenicum - heavy asteroid hunter (designed for messing with class D and E rocks). Siphoned fuel for some debris in LKO and thew it into the atmosphere. The craft (half fueled) is in the LKO and is free for anybody to use for whatever purpose you see it fit (to put a mun around the Mun?)

action groups:

1 - claw

2 - skipper engine (to be used as backup in case you really need TWR)

3 - NERVA engines

4 - monopropellant RCS (for grabbing/docking)

5 - bipropellant RCS (to turn when you have that giant rock attached)

3) Docked 6-Kerbal crew shuttle (W-6 Altair) to the Chronus station as a return vehicle (feel free to redock it if the wings interfere with whatever you want to attach)

4508214c4b84.png

I thought it's a bit smaller compared to the station.

The video will be later... I think I've got Kerbal overdose for today... :confused:

The wings are too close to the giant panels for comfort. They weren't extended when you were docking, were they? If they were, my salutes to you and your awesome skills. O_O

It does indeed look gigantic in comparison, never realized spaceplanes were that big compared to standard station rigs.

The wings are too close to the giant panels for comfort. They weren't extended when you were docking, were they? If they were, my salutes to you and your awesome skills. O_O

I didn't even think about retracting them... My thoughts were like "Does it fit here? Or should I dock it from the other side? Or maybe it'll fit with the tail in front of the cupola?" (if I realized it's this large, I'd take the last option - I just wasn't sure the tail would fit if I do that)

Also, while maneuvering around I was saying to myself "Of course, it's just perspective. It can't be so big." Until I looked at it docked... I was expecting this plane to be like twice smaller than it actually is

It feels so small, compared to the later crafts... Although some of the bigger ones actually have the same wingspan and less than double the length. Of course, after W-11 Callisto (well, that's a Mk3 shuttle) everything feels tiny.

Today I really understood one thing: docking a spaceplane sometimes is much easier than with something rocket-shaped. Because you actually see which way is which, not "slightly to the left... left, I said, not down!!!" Having both navball and visual navigation is so much easier than sticking to one

3 Kerbin space stations (one decorative, one crew, one private), 5 Tractor nuclear tugs in LKO, 1 Jool refueling station, 1 Space Taxi, 1 Mun outpost, 1 Eve outpost (with a rover) (we're working on getting the crew back), 5 kerbals waiting to come back from a Duna/Ike mission, and a Tylo "mission".

I think that's all, but there might be more.

Oh cool. Keep it up fellas.

I didn't even think about retracting them... My thoughts were like "Does it fit here? Or should I dock it from the other side? Or maybe it'll fit with the tail in front of the cupola?" (if I realized it's this large, I'd take the last option - I just wasn't sure the tail would fit if I do that)

Also, while maneuvering around I was saying to myself "Of course, it's just perspective. It can't be so big." Until I looked at it docked... I was expecting this plane to be like twice smaller than it actually is

It feels so small, compared to the later crafts... Although some of the bigger ones actually have the same wingspan and less than double the length. Of course, after W-11 Callisto (well, that's a Mk3 shuttle) everything feels tiny.

Today I really understood one thing: docking a spaceplane sometimes is much easier than with something rocket-shaped. Because you actually see which way is which, not "slightly to the left... left, I said, not down!!!" Having both navball and visual navigation is so much easier than sticking to one

Awesome! I'd get the save today, but I'm having trouble making my Stock++ install work. Later this week!

Dangit, Correy, we warned you not to trust Musil again!

Have you no faith? This time he has a way out... But I must confess I spend too much fuel in the capture/escape stage left in orbit, so I am pondering:

a) sending a refueling mission.

B) sending a new return craft (why bother refueling the first one if you have to send it anyway)

c) Let someone else make the return trip. I think that would be more in the spirit of collaboration, but I don't want poor kerbals to think I will just leave them anywhere they go with me. So if someone confirms an interest in doing the return trip, I will be happy to leave it to him.

BTW, we found the krakens nest on Moho. Can you guess where it is?

(And, sadly, it's not Correy. I wanted to use him, but I started playing very late last night â€â€damn you, Alchemist, for forcing me to do it and could not be bothered to pick him up. This one is Tangui or something).

(Also... Guys, don't we have enough stuff in LKO already? Start going out of the Kerbin system!)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.