STS Space Shuttle Challenges: PROVE YOUR PILOTING METTLE Earn a Badge!

Finally finished up editing of the third episode of STS. Here is the entire series:

Episode One: New Beginnings

Episode Two: Training Day

Episode Three: Flight of the Falcon

It was a lot of fun to do the challenge, and I learned a lot in the process. The station construction missions are the last four flights in Episode Three. Thanks for making such a great shuttle, Inigma, and for the challenge. I look forward to what you create for 1.0. :)

Edit: I am reading kOS and it is prettry interesting. As a professional software developer and mod creator I think ithat it would be an interesting challenge to write a launch program for the STS once the design is established for 1.0.

Edited by Angel-125

This is my STS-1 Maiden Flight mission entry. My shuttle is named after Gus Grissom, Edward White and Roger Chaffee, the crew of Apollo 1. They died on the LC-34 launchpad of KSC, because of a cabin fire during a launch rehearsal test on January, 27, 1967. "They gave their lives in service to their country in the ongoing exploration of humankind's final frontier. Remember them not for how they died but for those ideals for which they lived."

Flight Data:

1st and 2nd roll program done.

Orbit Periapsis: 199.976 m

Orbit Apoapsis: 200.038 m

Landed at KSC after two and a half orbits.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

EDIT: Fuel Pod deployment entry.

Flight Data (Fuel Pod):

Orbit Periapsis: 206.981 m

Orbit Apoapsis: 207.041 m

Landed at KSC with cargobay empty.

Edited by trooperMNG
new challenge completed

Can't wait to try this, Sweet SLS and shuttle design. News of the mission to follow! Sucsess or Failure, I am confident in my ability's but with the new aerodynamics it might get a little tricky. Love how you honnerd the crew of Apollo 1 trooperMNG.

Finally finished up editing of the third episode of STS. Here is the entire series:

Episode One: New Beginnings

Episode Two: Training Day

Episode Three: Flight of the Falcon

It was a lot of fun to do the challenge, and I learned a lot in the process. The station construction missions are the last four flights in Episode Three. Thanks for making such a great shuttle, Inigma, and for the challenge. I look forward to what you create for 1.0. :)

Edit: I am reading kOS and it is prettry interesting. As a professional software developer and mod creator I think ithat it would be an interesting challenge to write a launch program for the STS once the design is established for 1.0.

Congrats! You are the first to be awarded all badges in the Astronaut Corps. For your amazing work on these vids, and your own story, these final badges are yours:

oH6zpMy.jpg

gDmEbjw.jpg

Wear them proudly! You deserve them! Amazing videos. Had me on the edge of my seat!

On a ET disposal orbit with my new shuttle, 132x132km orbit.

xfED7Tjl.png

Can probably go higher with an orbit that leaves the ET in orbit.

edit: Yep, much higher. 925km circular, burned every last drop in the ET, but should have plenty of monoprop to deorbit. =)

1zbVrCo.png

Edited by Naito

STS-4 Space Shuttle for KSP 1.0.2 published.

05z7Gel.png

Not called STS-5 until Squad fixes aero, and RCS Build Aid updates so I can perfect torque values.

Shuttle rated to carry 42 tons (orange and yellow loaded fuel tanks) to 200km orbit and back to KSC. A slight downgrade, which may require archiving current winners and starting with a new leaderboard. For now, enjoy testing her out. Once Squad fixes 1.0.2 aero, this thing should perform a lot better. Maybe even better than .90 STS-4.

I just flew the STS-4 1.0.2 Space Shuttle Independence with STS Fuel Pod to a record breaking 421km orbit and return to KSC Island:

STS-4 1.0.2 will be renamed to STS-5 shortly.

Aphobius has been unseated...for now. :)

- - - Updated - - -

This is my STS-1 Maiden Flight mission entry. My shuttle is named after Gus Grissom, Edward White and Roger Chaffee, the crew of Apollo 1. They died on the LC-34 launchpad of KSC, because of a cabin fire during a launch rehearsal test on January, 27, 1967. "They gave their lives in service to their country in the ongoing exploration of humankind's final frontier. Remember them not for how they died but for those ideals for which they lived."

Flight Data:

1st and 2nd roll program done.

Orbit Periapsis: 199.976 m

Orbit Apoapsis: 200.038 m

Landed at KSC after two and a half orbits.

http://imgur.com/a/4cuuj

EDIT: Fuel Pod deployment entry.

Flight Data (Fuel Pod):

Orbit Periapsis: 206.981 m

Orbit Apoapsis: 207.041 m

Landed at KSC with cargobay empty.

http://imgur.com/a/eAmBh

Excellent flights! You have placed 5th in the challenge, and have been added to the Astronaut Corps.

These are yours, Commander:

fagZP7S.jpg

JfuP7ZU.jpg

Rvs3vgQ.jpg

sE1QW9Q.jpg

Gm9RLVR.jpg

EynVoXa.jpg

Congratulations! Feel free to fly more and reward yourself with more badges!

- - - Updated - - -

On a ET disposal orbit with my new shuttle, 132x132km orbit.

http://i.imgur.com/xfED7Tjl.png

Can probably go higher with an orbit that leaves the ET in orbit.

edit: Yep, much higher. 925km circular, burned every last drop in the ET, but should have plenty of monoprop to deorbit. =)

http://i.imgur.com/1zbVrCo.png

Awesome Naito! I'm glad to see you are still in the shuttle business! :D The STS would not have existed without your pioneering efforts.

BTW, this is definitely yours:

UF2EaXT.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Inigma space shuttle now on movies! Check it out....

I saw! Awesome! I like the story! :D

Hello,

Here is my application in the Orbiter Vehicle Endurance, named after Sir Ernest Shackleton's ship.

I know there's no photos of the shuttle stopped. What happened was I stopped safely on the runway, and then decided to taxi to the Hangar and take shots there. However, while taxiing, the Kraken attacked, the Endurance fell to pieces, and a bit of the space centre in the R&D Complex (far away from me) blew up. Sorry.

I'm gonna start doing these!

Also, I took the Learster A1 to the Mun. I added more Monoprop.

It is sitting on the Mun, totally out of fuel.

The Titan Base Miner Module-1 is arriving soon.

C'ya around!

STS-5 with low part count liquid boosters and STS-5E with higher part count solid boosters released: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/108219-STS-5-Space-Shuttle-%28Stock-NASA-Replica%29-NEW-RELEASE%21-Now-With-Solid-Rocket-Boosters%21-5-10-15

Both systems have the same relative performance. Solids might actually perform slightly better. Both are acceptable for use in this challenge now.

Have fun!

a0wCYidh.jpg

Edited by inigma

Challenge Complete! Sadly, I couldn't take any screenshots because I'm using Windows 8.1 on a laptop :(, but I'll give you some statistics I wrote down

My AP was 401,831 and my PE was 401,343. It's ok if you don't put me and the leaderboards, but if you post me in the astronauts list I'd be greatly appreciated. :)

Challenge Complete! Sadly, I couldn't take any screenshots because I'm using Windows 8.1 on a laptop :(, but I'll give you some statistics I wrote down

My AP was 401,831 and my PE was 401,343. It's ok if you don't put me and the leaderboards, but if you post me in the astronauts list I'd be greatly appreciated. :)

I'll add you to the roster just as soon as you give me your Space Shuttle's name.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm going to give this one a go once I have time - I feel obligated to, after your beautiful Shuttle became my primary heavy lifter, alongside my other crew capsules ;) One question - the Shuttle on the front page is the STS-4 model. Can I use the newer STS-7 one? Thanks!

Shuttle Akemi up for a test flight, delivering a fuel pod to a roughly 220,800m x 220,800m orbit.

T+00:00:00 70.0m - Mechjeb auto-sequence start, launch.

T+00:00:30 3.0km - Auto roll program failure, manual roll initiated, tail towards ocean.

T+00:00:37 4.0km - Manual roll completed.

T+00:01:18 17.9km - BECO, Booster Jettison.

T+00:03:14 51.8km - Automatic roll program initiated.

T+00:03:26 53.5km - Automatic roll program completed, belly towards Kerbin.

T+00:04:12 57.2km - MECO, coast to orbit.

T+00:06:33 74.5km - ET jettison and separation.

T+00:06:56 78.6km - Payload bay doors open.

T+00:20:16 220.9km - OMS circularization burn at Apoapsis.

T+00:24:23 220.8km - Payload deployment.

T+04:03:24 220.7km - Payload bay doors close.

T+04:30:07 220.8km - OMS deorbit burn.

T+04:37:42 69.0km - Entry Descent and Landing.

T+04:42:35 70.0m - Touchdown. drogue deployment.

T+04:42:47 70.0m - Wheels stop.

Photos:

https://flic.kr/s/aHskmJn62A

Video:

HD:

Edit: Do I get my shuttle pilot's license? :P

Edited by Tianar

http://imgur.com/a/q8o0Y

My periapsis was 124,072 and my Apoapsis was 125,009. The shuttle completed 5 orbits.

What's your shuttle name?

- - - Updated - - -

Shuttle Akemi up for a test flight, delivering a fuel pod to a roughly 220,800m x 220,800m orbit.

T+00:00:00 70.0m - Mechjeb auto-sequence start, launch.

T+00:00:30 3.0km - Auto roll program failure, manual roll initiated, tail towards ocean.

T+00:00:37 4.0km - Manual roll completed.

T+00:01:18 17.9km - BECO, Booster Jettison.

T+00:03:14 51.8km - Automatic roll program initiated.

T+00:03:26 53.5km - Automatic roll program completed, belly towards Kerbin.

T+00:04:12 57.2km - MECO, coast to orbit.

T+00:06:33 74.5km - ET jettison and separation.

T+00:06:56 78.6km - Payload bay doors open.

T+00:20:16 220.9km - OMS circularization burn at Apoapsis.

T+00:24:23 220.8km - Payload deployment.

T+04:03:24 220.7km - Payload bay doors close.

T+04:30:07 220.8km - OMS deorbit burn.

T+04:37:42 69.0km - Entry Descent and Landing.

T+04:42:35 70.0m - Touchdown. drogue deployment.

T+04:42:47 70.0m - Wheels stop.

Photos:

https://flic.kr/s/aHskmJn62A

Video:

HD:

Edit: Do I get my shuttle pilot's license? :P

Yes you do! I'll add you to the Astronaut Corps roster shortly!

Here are your badges:

fagZP7S.jpg

Rvs3vgQ.jpg

EynVoXa.jpg

Congratulations! Feel free to also try it with the STS-7E: http://kerbalx.com/inigma/STS-7E-Space-Shuttle

Shuttle Akemi manages to safely return from a RTLS Abort while attempting to launch a second fuel pod.

Let me tell you, her pilot was white knuckled during the whole abort, he forgot to open the fuel valves to the payload during the abort after jettisoning the ET.

A bit later he remembered he still had a huge tank of fuel in back, just in time to save himself from crashing into the sea...

Why an abort? Cause some klutz rested their feet on the staging controls in the KSC control room and remote separated the SRBs early.

Akemi%20RTLS%20Abort%2001%202015-10-15%2010.29.58.png

Edit:

Successful RTLS Abort recorded on video.

Edited by Tianar

Here is my entry for the STS Pilot I qualification badge, flown with the STS-7E, named Tordenskjold.

I tried this nice shuttle shortly after the challenge was posted, but got distracted and downloaded again yesterday. After a few tests, today was the time for an entry attempt.

The launch and orbit insertion went so-so, with the periapsis of the first "orbit" only at 55km, but after emptying the main tank, the orbit was at an impressive 225x233km. The tank was threatening to break up, and failure of the tank had caused some problems in my earlier tests. This time, only a few bits fell off, and it could be safely decoupled.

Then on to a 405x405km orbit using monopropellant and deployment of the payload consisting of the full orange tank. It ended in a 405,124x405,211 orbit, still completely full.

Now for de-orbit - wait intil KSC appeared roughly in the right place and retro-burn every drop of the monopropellant. Periapsis now 31.5km - this just might be enough, provided the shuttle can withstand the steep descent?!

Well, the shuttle slowed down to below 1km/s, 30 km above KSC without blowing up, so things are looking promising. Then turned around for the island runway and approached low and slow. Rapid disassembly on the hill before the runway, but the crew was alive. Hmm, hit F9 and tried again from 29km height. Same result. F9 again, and finally nailed it with a complete shuttle stopped on the island runway and a happy crew.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.