OMSK Space Products - Stockalike Atlas rockets & more! [Omich-L Beta]

SnowWhite

Also, what is OMSK stance on alternate cfg's? I have remote tech and the Centaur upper stage is in many ways like a spacecraft itself. So I have been clipping probe cores so they are hidden inside the tank. It occurred to me that I could make a CFG that would turn the Centaur fuel tank into a probe core. Then I could offer the RT alternate CFG's for anyone who wanted them but I don't want to do things like that without consent from you guys.

I was recently considered something similar that involves making the Centaur more suitable for "wet workshop-ification" using the Klockheed Martian Special Parts mod's wet workshop feature. The engine would decouple revealing a docking port (the APAS from CSS) where the engine was. I am trying to semi-recreate the intended Space Transportation System, a.k.a. STS (the shuttle was the only component that was actually made. It was intended to have a NERVA-powered transfer vehicle and a space tug) in KSP as I'm kinda sad that the STS wasn't what it could've been. But, I decided to add some wet workshops to it to spice it up.

What do you think about engine?(It's really impotrant to know your opinion) Also, only 8k polygons!

It needs a couple of struts/bars/something bracing the nozzles to the base. Having them free-floating makes it look like the engine is going to fly apart from torsion once the ignition starts.

Hi there!

Don't wait news this week.

Looks really good, you just need the strutting and you are good to go methinks. Just so the engines don't look like they are hovering in air held by the fuel lines.

http://www.williammaloney.com/aviation/USAFMuseum/USAirForceMuseumAssorted/images/13LR87RocketEngine.jpg

I agree it looks great it just needs support struts.
It needs a couple of struts/bars/something bracing the nozzles to the base. Having them free-floating makes it look like the engine is going to fly apart from torsion once the ignition starts.

Ermm... That was unfinished version, of cource we are going to make struts!

Can you make an Agena and the Centaur with two engines?
Want Agena!

We can! I hope you will not take offense If I say that things like SRB for atlas, verniers, two-nozzled rl-10, agena will come after GRAND PLAN.

Grand plan:

• All things I've promised to make recently
  • Titan-III

Also, what is OMSK stance on alternate cfg's? I have remote tech and the Centaur upper stage is in many ways like a spacecraft itself. So I have been clipping probe cores so they are hidden inside the tank. It occurred to me that I could make a CFG that would turn the Centaur fuel tank into a probe core. Then I could offer the RT alternate CFG's for anyone who wanted them but I don't want to do things like that without consent from you guys.

If you want to make nice alternative configs- we'll include them into a special download.

Something to think about for the next update. Could you out an attachment node at the bottom of the redstone/all of your engines so if we use just the fasa launch clamps they will work. I for one like just the fasa launch clamps and your redstone doesn't work with them because there is no attachment node. Also without launch clamps the redstone doesn't take off the launchpad. Thats easily fixed in sandbox, but in career even the stock launch clamps are released later i the tech tree.

Something to think about for the next update. Could you out an attachment node at the bottom of the redstone/all of your engines so if we use just the fasa launch clamps they will work. I for one like just the fasa launch clamps and your redstone doesn't work with them because there is no attachment node. Also without launch clamps the redstone doesn't take off the launchpad. Thats easily fixed in sandbox, but in career even the stock launch clamps are released later i the tech tree.

While you wait, instructions to do just hat can be found in this thread here: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/112419-OMSK-Space-Products-Stockalike-Atlas-rockets-more!-Luna-3?p=1831764&viewfull=1#post1831764

The node isn't visually perfect but it works for this purpose.

• 2 weeks later...

16 hours in the train and I'm home. What does that mean? Development must go on! :cool:

Thanks for feedback! Ok, I'll make this with the next update.

Here is the final version of titan's engine.

bzMC1H8.jpg

Hi everyone, oh great i was waiting for some news here :cool: What a pretty engine we've got here, your mod became essential to my game :D Have you planed to made the delta rockets family ?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/2c/Delta_EELV_family.svg

I love the first Dela IV medium <3

They said they were going to make Delta II.

Delta IV would bee great too, but personally I would love additions to heritage launch vehicles, like a less-stretched Thor missile, and an Agena to go with it and Atlas, Able upper stage for Thor (can share AJ10 rocket engine with Agena and Delta K), upper stages for Redstone to make Sparta and Juno I, and maybe a Jupiter missile (please? <3)

With 8 H1 rocket engines from Delta II and 8 clustered Redstone tanks around a Jupiter tank, you can recreate SIB!

Also - so happy to hear you're back! Love this mod :3

Edited by Kibble

I tested this just before 1.0 with my own mercury mod, and discovered the atlas is in serious need of some gimbal (also I'm 90% sure the real life atlas's engines gimbal'ed)

No, they had verneir engines. SnowWhite has said she would make some at some point. Many of us have been using the way keeper engines from Tantares mod in the meantime.

No, they had verneir engines. SnowWhite has said she would make some at some point. Many of us have been using the way keeper engines from Tantares mod in the meantime.

No the sustainer engine was most definitely mounted on gimbal and was used in conjunction with the verniers (not so sure about the two side engines though)

Are you sure? I have been trying to find information on that I can't.

Here is an up close picture of Mercury-Atlas: The source for this picture says "Not visible are two small vernier engines, for fine control." Which is annoyingly vague.

Source: http://www.robsv.com/cape/c14lv.html

ksc0204.jpg

Here are some Stats: http://www.astronautix.com/engines/xlr1055.htm#more

Here is a link: http://historicspacecraft.com/Rockets_Atlas.html#Sustainer

But I haven't found anything that states outright that the engine does or doesn't gimbal.

Edited by Leszek

The droop exhibited by the centre engine is from the rocket lying on its side, unmoved, for decades. The outboards are being supported by posts attached to the carrier frame due to their relatively flimsy plumbing compared to that of the sustainer. The sustainer did not gimbal. Steering was provided by the verniers.

You can also see from the photos of just the sustainer engine that there are no gimbal actuators or attach points for actuators. Lots and lots of inflexible plumbing, though.

I'm not basing all this on the links and photos listed here. I worked at the US Space and Rocket Center for a number of years as a tour guide and educator, and I had plenty of opportunities to study these launchers up close. Sometimes even with a wrench. :)

Edited by Jack Wolfe

The droop exhibited by the centre engine is from the rocket lying on its side, unmoved, for decades. The outboards are being supported by posts attached to the carrier frame due to their relatively flimsy plumbing compared to that of the sustainer. The sustainer did not gimbal. Steering was provided by the verniers.

You can also see from the photos of just the sustainer engine that there are no gimbal actuators or attach points for actuators. Lots and lots of inflexible plumbing, though.

I'm not basing all this on the links and photos listed here. I worked at the US Space and Rocket Center for a number of years as a tour guide and educator, and I had plenty of opportunities to study these launchers up close. Sometimes even with a wrench. :)

hold it!

(I was so tempted to put a phoenix wright gif here but I'm pretty sure it would be against forum rules)

Now while I'd hate to argue with a guy who had seen these things in person... well... I was going some where with this... anyway! if I could direct your attention to this detailed schematic...

WARNING HUGE IMAGE

I would like you to take a close look at highlights number 26, and 100, and then find them on the illustration (I circled them on a smaller image below for convenience (imgur forced me to shrink the image in order to edit it))

warning still a pretty big image

as you can see the gimballing hardware seems to be buried deep inside and tucked in pretty high up to boot. Is this a region of the rocket you had opportunity to examine closely while working as a tour guide?

Edited by passinglurker

You wouldn't believe the things we took access panels off of. Mind you, it was in the days before omnipresent security cameras. If a museum visitor asked what we were doing, an answer of "maintenance work" would satisfy them.

Yep, I see exactly what you're saying about the diagrams. I stand corrected, sir. In all likelihood, the Atlas I crawled around on was an earlier surplus ICBM and almost certainly not man-rated. It wasn't a mock up, that much I know. But it could have been cobbled together from spare parts, too.

Excellent find! I learned something today. :)

EDIT: http://www.enginehistory.org/Museums/USSRC/USSRC_Atlas.shtml According to this, under the section on Directional Control, it mentions that the early Atlas configurations used hinged engines prior to implementing proper gimbals. That explains why I didn't see gimbal actuators on the beastie I dug into, and I never thought anyone would be daft enough to use a simple hinge! :blush:

Edited by Jack Wolfe
Learned more stuff!

Tell me everything

Let's just say Wally Schirra's Sigma 7 was very uncomfortable. They weren't joking when they said you didn't fly the Mercury, you wore it. :wink:

Now, back to getting the gimbal issue on SnowWhite's Atlas-D sorted out...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.