OMSK Space Products - Stockalike Atlas rockets & more! [Omich-L Beta]

SnowWhite

how well is this mod working with 1.0? I really could use the low-tier us rockets :)

Yes now!

OMSK 3.6

• 1.0 compatibility

About gimbal:

Thanks everyone for a nice conversation:D! I guess, Atlas should has both verniers and gimbal. Making gimbal for atlas means remake the model, so how much do you need it? If you can't live without it- say no more, we'll remake central engine just after Titan.

News:

• SpcAnn is not home and he's coming back in 1 day to get textures for engine done.
  • I was quite busy all week, but now I have 4 free days which means higher productivity. I am really sorry for such a long-time development:(

Tossing this out there as someone who has never made a model for KSP, much less a mod; would it be absolutely necessary to remake the model, given that the LR-109 had such a tiny gimbal range? I took a peek at the FASA configs, and the range value is 0.25. You never see the thing even wiggle. I added an even tinier gimbal value for the LR-89's, 0.1, and you could see a demonstrable effect on flight performance even though the models do not seem to be built with gimballing in mind. The value really should be more like 0.05, but it was a quick experiment. I'm sure you get the idea.

Of course, I could be dead wrong once again. :D

ETA: I gave it a try, and adding the gimbal values seemed to work just fine. Using the Tantares Waykeeper as verniers didn't do much good until I increased their gimbal rate from 7.5 to 15. Food for thought.

Edited by Jack Wolfe
Experimentation

Tossing this out there as someone who has never made a model for KSP, much less a mod; would it be absolutely necessary to remake the model, given that the LR-109 had such a tiny gimbal range? I took a peek at the FASA configs, and the range value is 0.25. You never see the thing even wiggle. I added an even tinier gimbal value for the LR-89's, 0.1, and you could see a demonstrable effect on flight performance even though the models do not seem to be built with gimballing in mind. The value really should be more like 0.05, but it was a quick experiment. I'm sure you get the idea.

ETA: I gave it a try, and adding the gimbal values seemed to work just fine. Using the Tantares Waykeeper as verniers didn't do much good until I increased their gimbal rate from 7.5 to 15. Food for thought.

Of course, I am able to make gimbal without remaking the model. The only problem is the pipe. It will just "dance" around and that's not cool! I have some thoughts how to make model with nice-looking gimbal process.

Here is my awesome paint.

e2cgNCR.png

Can you also include again the orange atlas V tanks? I'm already missing them. ;.;

Oh no! Sorry, I've totally forgot about this!

OMSK 3.7

-Orange tank and engine added

-Added reaction wheel to the Atlas's fuel tank. Just as a placeholder.

Of course, I am able to make gimbal without remaking the model. The only problem is the pipe. It will just "dance" around and that's not cool! I have some thoughts how to make model with nice-looking gimbal process.

Here is my awesome paint.

http://i.imgur.com/e2cgNCR.png

Oh no! Sorry, I've totally forgot about this!

OMSK 3.7

-Orange tank and engine added

-Added reaction wheel to the Atlas's fuel tank. Just as a placeholder.

Ive played around and even sent a probe to Duna. First things first you need to add the trench smoke effects. They are too much fun not to have. Second the Centaur is way too overpowerd in a vaccum. It might just be a typo but the Centaur has 750 in a vaccum? That seem way too over powered it should be 75 right? I was gonna say we need the orange tanks but you fixed that already. Well done again.

Ive played around and even sent a probe to Duna. First things first you need to add the trench smoke effects. They are too much fun not to have. Second the Centaur is way too overpowerd in a vaccum. It might just be a typo but the Centaur has 750 in a vaccum? That seem way too over powered it should be 75 right? I was gonna say we need the orange tanks but you fixed that already. Well done again.

What do yo mean by 750? Is it about thrust or Isp?

Yes now!

OMSK 3.6

• 1.0 compatibility

About gimbal:

Thanks everyone for a nice conversation:D! I guess, Atlas should has both verniers and gimbal. Making gimbal for atlas means remake the model, so how much do you need it? If you can't live without it- say no more, we'll remake central engine just after Titan.

News:

• SpcAnn is not home and he's coming back in 1 day to get textures for engine done.
  • I was quite busy all week, but now I have 4 free days which means higher productivity. I am really sorry for such a long-time development:(

My mercury look-a-like mod can't control the atlas at all with gimbal-less engines so yeah I really need gimbals even if the gimbals are not animated if its not to much trouble n_n

the reason the fasa engines might not wiggle might be because its only the engines thrust transforms that are gimbaling and not the nozzle meshes (not the prettiest solution but it gets the job done as you have discovered)

the reason the fasa engines might not wiggle might be because its only the engines thrust transforms that are gimbaling and not the nozzle meshes (not the prettiest solution but it gets the job done as you have discovered)

That makes sense. I didn't know if it was that, or because of the terribly narrow gimbal range.

I hoepe you read this before you update. But there has been another update today it 1.02 not 1.01. I hope you don't waste your time on a 1.01 update when there is already another update.

Regarding the Mercury Atlas and the gimbal.

If the players do not have a vernier, like the way keeper that comes with Tantares, there is no way to control the rocket. I use passinglurker's mercury capsule. With the way keeper, the rocket is very controlable.

So you don't NEED a gimbal, if you get the verneir out. One just a bit stronger than Tantares. If you aren't going to do a Vernier soon, then you should put gimbal. Even if you don't change the model and just add .25 gimbal as a stop gap. Otherwise people who don't have Tantare's can't really use the rocket.

I mentioned a few pages back about adding alternate configs for the Atlas V/Centaur, I still want to do that. I am just waiting for RT to update to 1.0.X standards first.

Oh and YAY on 1.0.x compatibility , I missed OMSK.

Edit: I should point out that the Tantares way keeper engine, is the right way to do Vernier. The stock Vernier is garbage, none of this turning on RCS crap.

Edited by Leszek

And amendment to my earlier recommendation on the Waykeeper's gimbal rate: 15 is too much. Once oversteering sets in, your vehicle will fly about as accurately as a bottle rocket. 10 works much better and is more forgiving.

• 3 weeks later...

So, I am having trouble making my alternate configs, I think I am going to cut all the MM stuff out and make a basic one that works and then work from there.

Feedback: The Atlas I/ Atlas II (which is called Atlas/centaur in the mod) has an issue. Namely the Atlas II can't get hardly anything into orbit. It wouldn't take all that much to make it more useful, perhaps +5 sea level ISP and + 10 VAC ISP. Just enough so that I can put another stage on an gain DV.

My humble opinion, I am not sure what the others think of this.

I am going to be doing a summer project that makes a new tech tree, and I am going to be making modulemanager files to fit these parts to the tech tree, and I am putting this project on curse/KerbalX, do I have your permission?

Where'd the dev go? I haven't heard anything in a while!

We are alive, but SpcAnn has lots of problems IRL, so the development comes really slowly. Sorry;.;

So, I am having trouble making my alternate configs, I think I am going to cut all the MM stuff out and make a basic one that works and then work from there.

Feedback: The Atlas I/ Atlas II (which is called Atlas/centaur in the mod) has an issue. Namely the Atlas II can't get hardly anything into orbit. It wouldn't take all that much to make it more useful, perhaps +5 sea level ISP and + 10 VAC ISP. Just enough so that I can put another stage on an gain DV.

My humble opinion, I am not sure what the others think of this.

Ok, I've told Niemand to remake them.

I am going to be doing a summer project that makes a new tech tree, and I am going to be making modulemanager files to fit these parts to the tech tree, and I am putting this project on curse/KerbalX, do I have your permission?

Yes, make everything you want!:cool:

• 2 weeks later...

It happened. He leaves us, he leaves internets because of IRL problems. Good night, sweet prince! We'll remember you.;.;

[spoiler=:(]OJw3kBH.png

He said that OMSK needs new texturer. Any volunteers?

Also, I have really interesting project, but I need to make caterpillars for it. Is there someone who knows how to make them?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.