[WIP][1.4.4]GPWS - Warning System for Planes - 2018-07-15

bssthu

GPWS

This mod was inspired from http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/55408-0-24-Dev-slowdown-Nagging-Nadia-v0-13-beta by SolarLiner, and http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/43134-0-22-GPWS-for-Jets-Planes-v1-2-Hear-yourself-land!-or-crash! by Cryphonus.

This mod adds warning sounds for KSP. GPWS means "ground proximity warning system", a terrain awareness and alerting system. I also add TCAS ("traffic collision avoidance system") warning.

t980Na2.png

How to Use

* For planes:

Fly an aircraft with landing gear(s). (It should have a ModuleWheelDeployment && ModuleWheelBrakes, or FSwheel module.) If you enabled system in GPWS Settings, You should hear sounds when you are landing/crashing.

You can edit GPWS.cfg to add more types of landing gear.

* For Landers:

It will warn you if it thinks you are crashing.

This mod adds a button on blizzy78's toolbar / applaunch toolbar. Click it to open GUI to edit settings or view current warning status. You are free to turn off warnings you don't want to hear.

You can edit settings.cfg for more accurate adjustment.

P.S.1. This mod uses feet for plane altitude.

P.S.2. Change "Descent Rate Factor" to allow faster/slower sink rate. (Set to 2 means you are allowed to sink 2 times faster than default.)

Supported Warning List

*Plane:

- sink rate

- sink rate, whoop whoop pull up

- terrain, terrain

- terrain, terrain, whoop whoop pull up

- don't sink

- too low gear

- too low terrain

- bank angle

- altitude callout (1000, 500, approaching minimus, minimus, 100, 50, 40, 30, 20, 10)(use feet by default)

- (reduce thrust)

- traffic

- v1, rotate

- gear up

- (stall) (joystick vibration tested on x1 controller) (I don't think it will work on linux or osx)

*Lander

- sink rate

- horiontal speed

- altitude callout (1000, 500, 100, 50, 40, 30, 20, 10)(use meter by default)

- (reduce thrust)

Download

https://github.com/bssthu/KSP_GPWS/releases

Installation

Just copy the contents of the archive to KSP's root folder.

XInputInterface.dll is needed for joystick shake. You can get it from addon "Advanced Fly-By-Wire".

You need ModuleManager to make it work.

Source

https://github.com/bssthu/KSP_GPWS

ChangeList

*v0.3.9

- Recompile for KSP v1.4.4
- fix joystick shake's bug
- improve TOO_LOW_TERRAIN warning

(more at github release page)

TODO List (maybe)

- Add warnings for overspeed, windshear

- Not shake joystick when using keyboard

- Draw curves in game

License

88x31.png

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License. (CC-NC-SA 4)

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/4.0/

Credits

- sarbian for ModuleManager

- cybutek for KSP-AVC

- blizzy78 for Toolbar

Please let me know if you find any bugs or have some suggestion.

Fly safe :)

Edited by bssthu
update

Very interesting mod! You grabbed my interest. And this seems VERY useful. Has it been tried with landers yet (to avoid hitting a mountain on final descent to the body's surface)?

Not yet. This mod only works for planes with landing gears now. I will add altitude callouts for landers in next version.

And I have no idea about slope detection. I will try.

Edited by bssthu
typo

Cool! It looks much better than mine!

In fact I am working on it too. (Source: https://github.com/Summerfirefly/GPWSKerbal )But I am still learning C# and how to make a plugin mod, and I am a student so I don't have much time. Now you release it so I can use a perfect GPWS mod right now and also can learn from your source. Thank you very much!!

By the way, I am trying to find the vertical speed/air speed when "pull up", "sink rate", "too low terrain" and etc. in real life. Does this mod use the real value?

Edited by Summerfirefly
More words

Cool! It looks much better than mine!

In fact I am working on it too. (Source: https://github.com/Summerfirefly/GPWSKerbal )But I am still learning C# and how to make a plugin mod, and I am a student so I don't have much time. Now you release it so I can use a perfect GPWS mod right now and also can learn from your source. Thank you very much!!

By the way, I am trying to find the vertical speed/air speed when "pull up", "sink rate", "too low terrain" and etc. in real life. Does this mod use the real value?

Hi! Didn't know you're writing it. I think I can learn from your code too.

I am currently getting speed/altitude values from graphs in http://www51.honeywell.com/aero/common/documents/Mk_V_VII_EGPWS.pdf .

I didn't find accurrate real values, and different aircrafts may use different values. it's not easy to find a good value for all planes, especially in Kerbin.

Hi! Didn't know you're writing it. I think I can learn from your code too.

I am currently getting speed/altitude values from graphs in http://www51.honeywell.com/aero/common/documents/Mk_V_VII_EGPWS.pdf .

I didn't find accurrate real values, and different aircrafts may use different values. it's not easy to find a good value for all planes, especially in Kerbin.

:PI think my code is so simple, only PULL UP and Radar Altitude Callout.

And, thank you for providing the graphs.

You are right, maybe the real values are not suitable for Kerbin. And I have an idea that you can add two or more suitable configs to support RSS or 6.4x Kerbin in the future so that this mod can be used in RSS, I think it will be more realistic, and players will not feel strange(Maybe the standard approach on Kerbin is not suitable for Earth:confused:). Just personal idea:)

Thank you again!:)

• 4 weeks later...

Is it possible to modify this to make it warn you when you are stalling or under high dynamic pressure?

Note: Nope, checked it and its out of my league to do that. Could you please add support for FAR? That would be great!

Or just add a blank audio warning so we can add a variable to it, if you dont want to entangled with FAR thingies.

Great mod!

Edited by Phoenix1945
Update

Is it possible to modify this to make it warn you when you are stalling or under high dynamic pressure?

Note: Nope, checked it and its out of my league to do that. Could you please add support for FAR? That would be great!

Or just add a blank audio warning so we can add a variable to it, if you dont want to entangled with FAR thingies.

Great mod!

any chance you can add the classic *beepbeepbeep*"stall"*beepbeepbeep*"stall" ((for as you guessed Stalls in FAR)) if at all possible.

I will check it when I have some time. Maybe after KSP 1.0 release.

I will try to work with FAR. (If failed, I think I can check AoA to tell if you are stalling)

• 7 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Oh! updated! - oh wait 2015... no 1.1.2 - ah - year not updated :D

Thanks for working on this mod - and adding date to the header - my primary method of scanning for updates.

On 2016/5/30 at 7:46 AM, wasml said:

Oh! updated! - oh wait 2015... no 1.1.2 - ah - year not updated :D

Thanks for working on this mod - and adding date to the header - my primary method of scanning for updates.

oops... it's already 2016 :0.0:

• 4 weeks later...
On 2016/7/2 at 7:44 PM, THX1138 said:

Could I suggest adding alarms for a) periapsis is now inside atmosphere, b) craft is now inside atmosphere, c) part(s) overheating?

This mod is mainly for aircrafts, it would be strange if I add alarm a or b. I'll think about alarm c. Thanks for you advice.

On 05/07/2016 at 4:33 AM, bssthu said:

This mod is mainly for aircrafts, it would be strange if I add alarm a or b. I'll think about alarm c. Thanks for you advice.

Okay. It would be a cool think to have on the lander mode. In any case, this is probably another stupid thing to ask but I keep forgetting to raise my landing gear after taking off; could a warning for that be added? Thanks for the mod as it is, either way. :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.