Deadpangod3

why do people hate SimCity?

Ridiculously small maps - the biggest city has the size of a village

Must be on-line for off-line game - nasty DRM stuff

Huge launch issues and update after update of fixes

A large amount of persistent bugs

Terrible AI

Game breaking mechanics

Do I need to go on? The game was not properly tested, did not launch in a decent fashion, and plays like a pig - though it got better over time. Only after a huge amount of fixes it became playable, but it is still not comparable to its predecessors in any way, shape or form.

If you want to know how to murder an IP, this would be a good example.

Ridiculously small maps - the biggest city has the size of a village

Must be on-line for off-line game - nasty DRM stuff

Huge launch issues and update after update of fixes

A large amount of persistent bugs

Terrible AI

Game breaking mechanics

Do I need to go on? The game was not properly tested, did not launch in a decent fashion, and plays like a pig - though it got better over time. Only after a huge amount of fixes it became playable, but it is still not comparable to its predecessors in any way, shape or form.

If you want to know how to murder an IP, this would be a good example.

First EA and Maxis told us the online connection was needed because complex calculations were offloaded to the cloud. This was proven to be false by a player. Then the online requirement made the game unplayable for huge amounts of people because the EA servers simply died upon launch. This took weeks to fix and even prompted them to give out free content for compensation. Finally, after quite a bit of doing, they removed the online requirement, though other DRM measures seem to remain intact.

The game was launched March the 6th 2013, while single player mode was introduced the 18th of March 2014, so over a year later. Regardless of if and when they fixed things, things like these are exactly why SimCity gets such a terrible rap. Rightfully so, because it all is just polishing a turd and this is just a part of the problems.

On the surface they finally managed to make it look somewhat decent, but as soon as you play a little longer problems really start piling up.

Edited by Camacha

Are they allowed to put "PC-DVD" on the box for a code? I was expecting a disc but still have to uncrunch it through the Steam client. That would of really agitated me, I caved in and clicked in Steam to have it now anyway.

Fortunately for you, the code had not been pirated. I got a game last year from a retail store and as it was doing its steam thingie, steam told me, that the code was already used. Tough luck (as it was only €10, i didnt bother trying to make a case out of it). So: Buying online is actually the saver method, imho.

Fortunately for you, the code had not been pirated. I got a game last year from a retail store and as it was doing its steam thingie, steam told me, that the code was already used. Tough luck (as it was only €10, i didnt bother trying to make a case out of it). So: Buying online is actually the saver method, imho.

Use Paypal. If you get duped, you should get your money back. Terms and conditions apply, so be sure to check those before you buy.

*click* install *click* play *click* your save is right there.

Steam noob here with bandwidth cap issues. Is it an install of the full game ? No constant on-line lookups for data/files/whatever? Is the constant internet connection is just for a DRM check when the game is launched or something more frequent/data intensive? For off-line/single-player gaming, there's no streaming of data happening?

Steam noob here with bandwidth cap issues. Is it an install of the full game ? No constant on-line lookups for data/files/whatever? Is the constant internet connection is just for a DRM check when the game is launched or something more frequent/data intensive? For off-line/single-player gaming, there's no streaming of data happening?

That is what I dislike about it; you do not have a clue what gets uploaded. I noticed the hour counter not working when internet is disabled, so apparently your activity is uploaded as it happens. I detest that, those are the kind of things that can be done locally perfectly fine.

It feels a bit voyeuristic.

If you don't want steam using the internet constantly there is an offline mode you can activate once the game is installed. It won't track achievement, ect, but you can play most games fine in offline mode.

If you don't want steam using the internet constantly there is an offline mode you can activate once the game is installed. It won't track achievement, ect, but you can play most games fine in offline mode.

Except when it decides it absolutely positively needs to update, or pulls one of its other shenanigans. It did that once when I was away from internet for a month or so, and a couple of times when the internet was out. Not amusing in the least.

Offline mode does a good job of avoiding high bandwidth downloads. I spend about half my life tethered to a cell phone so I both worry about bandwidth caps AND bandwidth-hogging downloads. I let Steam run most of the time in offline mode, and only turn online mode to check for updates and buy a game. I have never, ever even been warned about my bandwidth.

If you have similar concerns, I suggest you click on "Settings" on the forum above, and "General Settings" on that page on the left. Then turn off autoloading of images. That saves SO MUCH time when you accidentally click on a thread where someone posts 30 inline 1080p images of their Mun base.

If I wanted to play this, how would I upgrade the graphics card on this computer? I checked SystemRequirementsLab and that was the only issue for minimum requirements.

I don't know what the inside looks like, it's probably full of dust, and I'm afraid I might break something if I open it up. The other option is getting an entirely new PC.

Currently it is an integrated AMD Radeon HD 6410D GPU.

If I wanted to play this, how would I upgrade the graphics card on this computer? I checked SystemRequirementsLab and that was the only issue for minimum requirements.

The specifications are not totally complete, so you would need to check the motherboard to see whether you have a free PCI-E slot - you most probably will - and the brand and cables of that 500 watt PSU. If it is a decent brand you can use it fine, but if it turns out cheap you will need an upgrade. If your video card requires additional power cables your PSU obviously need to have those available to provide it with the power it needs. If that is all in order upgrading is just a few easy steps:

- Open up case

- Ground yourself to prevent zapping parts with static electricity, for instance by touching the grounding pin (and none other!) on a wall socket or an unpainted radiator tube. Avoid wearing extremely static clothes, like fleece.

- Unscrew and remove the appropriate metal back slot cover, slot in the video card and fasten the securing screw.

- Hook up any and every power cable the video card takes

- Close case

- Hook up monitor to video card

- Install appropriate drivers

- Profit!

It looks like quite a list, but is in actuality a relatively simple procedure. If you don't do anything overly stupid, things should be just fine. Be aware that the processor is not the most powerful, so there is no use in buying an immensely fast video card.

I don't know what the inside looks like, it's probably full of dust, and I'm afraid I might break something if I open it up. The other option is getting an entirely new PC.

By far the most likely way of damaging something is by static shocking a part. Electronics are sensitive to that. If you take care to prevent that you really need to stab something with a screwdriver or smear thermal paste into a socket to easily hurt things. Be gentle, of course, but things are not made out of soap bubbles in there.

Edited by Camacha

I just bought it yesterday. Finally the city sim we deserve!

Let's pour one out for the SimCity series and Maxis, sold down the river by evil money-grubbing EA. The city sim torch has been well and truly passed to a new generation.

Edited by segaprophet

Let's pour one out for the SimCity series and Maxis, sold down the river by evil money-grubbing EA. The city sim torch has been well and truly passed to a new generation.

The king is dead, long live the king!

I just bought it yesterday. Finally the city sim we deserve!

Well said.

EA. Meh. EA. Let's say I found a genie bottle. And opened it. And I got three wishes. I think it'd go like this:

"So three wishes. Go."

"Make me immortal so I can see entire future, and burn EA to the ground."

"That's two. No ANDs."

"You didn't say that till after. Do that one, and I won't do another AND."

"Ugh. Okay. Fine. You're immortal, and EA just burned to the ground."

"Make political corruption an actual illness that becomes swiftly lethal, then make sure nobody can ever rebuild EA ever again."

"No ANDS!"

"That's a THEN. AND is not a THEN. You didn't say no THENs."

"NO ANDS OR THENS!"

"Ok, fine, whatever. Do those and I won't sneak in a second THEN again."

"Done. Last wish. No ANDS. No THENS."

"Give me the power to go back earlier in my life, to do anything over again, anytime I want, but only after you make sure no EA executives ever work in the gaming industry ever again."

"QUIT DOING THAT!"

"I beat your rules! Do it, you [expletives]!"

That's how I feel about EA and genies.

Oh, and I might pick up this game, also. :)

Well, I got found out the game runs pretty horribly on my 2011 iMac's Radeon HD 6770M 512MB. Choppy even with all settings turned down.

Oh well, at least my Windows machine's Radeon HD 7950 3GB can handle it on highest settings with aplomb. :)

That IMac is the same model as mine!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.