Cities: Skylines

Deadpangod3

In an effort to rerail(?) the conversation.

Yesterday I started a new city in a very mountainous map I created. All was going great. Then I reached the level to get a dam. Immediately dammed up a local river where I was getting water and pumping in sewage. Well then the bad things happened. The water level downstream dropped to the point were the river was severed in half causing the current to stop. The water level fluctuated making water sporadically stop flowing. Then the sewage backed into the water pump. This basically caused a plague. This is when I saw a problem was occurring. People were dying in droves as well as leaving the city. I destroyed my new dam but my city fell deeply into debt from the lack of people. Entire districts were abandoned. The tidal wave of water flushed away the sewage and now my city is bouncing back from that catastrophe.

Thanks!! On the phone now with my dad about splitting the fee for a desktop. Any recommendations for ~£300?

I though I responded already, but apparently I neglected to actually post that message. Elthy is right, that budget is so slim that saving up would be the wise thing to do. If you really must, try to find a good second hand system. That will give you the most bang for your buck. I am afraid that pretty much any £300 system would be (partially) outdated as soon as you get it. It is just not a cost effective approach.

But indeed, like Pink Plushy Point-hat says, this is best continued in the appropriate thread. I would gladly be of assistance there.

Dang outback. Dams probably are the easiest thing in the game to mess up. You do need to be aware they can temporarily dry the river up downstream from them. If there's only one river on your map be extra careful.

Still, you can usually claw your way back. Slash services, even demolish or downgrade roads if need be, anything to get back into the black.

So on the upstream (convex) side of the dam there's an angle where it goes from vertical to sloped. That will be the water level in the reservoir. Make sure the river bank upstream is higher!

Once the water level reaches that, the dam will let water flow from the convex side to the concave side, whether or not you have the electricity generation on. It will not let water flow the other way unless it's overtopped.

So RocketPilot, I believe what you need to do is contrive to put a dam in the river that faces the other way. To do that you need to reverse the river's flow, which you can do with the aid of water pumps and sewage outlets.

In other news, I'm calling my first city complete.

17036029865_c5bcc5d19e_o.jpg

79 thousand people, hundreds of overcrowded buses, 100 hours of play, dozens of broken roundabouts, eight industrial estates, two dams, one space elevator, zero mods, plenty of game lag, lots of traffic, and nary a grid in sight.

I hope they implement semi-realistic helicopter controls. No need for a full blown flight simulator, but it would be nice to have controls that go further than the standard shift for up, control for down. For instance, I liked how the helicopters in Vice City were done.

I've stopped playing this game.

Because I've fallen in love with the asset editor.

I've made several roundabouts I'm proud/ashamed/scared of, including the smallest practical one (It's 6x6 squares) and an 8-entry/exit point, 3-lane behemoth with internal entry points to help utilize the center and inner lanes.

Haha.

I gave up on the asset editor after my giant stack interchange turned out to be unusable because it said "slope too steep" virtually everywhere. Since I try and avoid rampant demolition I usually end up wanting to hand-craft interchanges to fit into the available space too. That's one reason for the complexity of the Giant's Hair, limited space on the south side of the interchange meant the exit from the interstate heading southbound had to go from the north side of the roundabout and loop round.

Though I do use the stock "Large Roundabout" as a starting point for roundabout interchanges, typically lopping off the supplied stubs and adding my own. Maybe I should just save the circle by itself.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.