Cities: Skylines

Deadpangod3

Though I do use the stock "Large Roundabout" as a starting point for roundabout interchanges, typically lopping off the supplied stubs and adding my own. Maybe I should just save the circle by itself.

My "smallest roundabout" is 4 offramp pieces, each a 90 degree curve, so the center area is a little 2x2 square. You can easily fit 4 of the simplest roads to it and can technically fit the larger ones but it looks funny and I doubt traffic would flow very well.

My bigger one I just built, and didn't test. I think it broke itself because I can't edit it in the asset editor anymore. I can demolish the stuff on the ground but not the elevated stuff. It may be a bug.

Does this game have a terrain editor?

Can you modify terrain in game?

I'm about to click the buy button I think.

You cannot modify the terrain in-game, but there is a map editor. It seems pretty robust but I've not used it. I've seen other people's maps and it looks like you can pretty much make anything reasonable you'd want to make. And a lot of unreasonable things :)

I've been enjoying it, especially as the first city builder I've spent significant time on (around 35 hours, on-par with Dishonored). It's kinda quirky and there are some things that I think are missing, but it's definitely been worth the money I spent on it. My primary city is almost 50k people and still expanding, so I'm looking forward to getting to work on it some more.

1ZB3EUN.jpg

Got my second city to 155k people so far. They don't have any hospitals or clinics or police stations and they're still happy. Crime rate is at 25% and health is at 52%. Makes me think I'll need to get drastic and turn off all of my crematoriums to get them to stop loving me.

You cannot modify the terrain in-game, but there is a map editor. It seems pretty robust but I've not used it. I've seen other people's maps and it looks like you can pretty much make anything reasonable you'd want to make. And a lot of unreasonable things :)
There's a mod, "terraforming", to change terrain in-game too.

I'm really enjoying this. I've got a pretty good grasp on everything..except fires.

I exploited an oil resource with 5 rows of 4x30ish light industry. The fires are unbelievable. Literally. I have a fire house on every row, and the industry is burning down around them, constantly. It's freaking absurd. Fires in the front of the fire house, behind the firehouse, down the street...It's almost not worth it, considering how often I have to babysit the burned down buildings.

I'm really enjoying this. I've got a pretty good grasp on everything..except fires.

I exploited an oil resource with 5 rows of 4x30ish light industry. The fires are unbelievable. Literally. I have a fire house on every row, and the industry is burning down around them, constantly. It's freaking absurd. Fires in the front of the fire house, behind the firehouse, down the street...It's almost not worth it, considering how often I have to babysit the burned down buildings.

This is why I prefer SC4's system of city buildings working in a certain radius. I understand C:S's decision to use the system it does, considering the more complicated traffic system, but it can be seriously wonky at times.

This is why I prefer SC4's system of city buildings working in a certain radius. I understand C:S's decision to use the system it does, considering the more complicated traffic system, but it can be seriously wonky at times.

Agreed. The traffic isn't even that bad in that area. It's basically a square of 6 lane one way with 1 way 2 lane. There are two separate exits to the highway, and like I said..there is a fire house on each 2 lane.

It's a problem with all the city services, the despatching is prone to trying to send a vehicle over from the other side of the city and not from the nearest fire station, police station, incinerator, whatever. I'm not sure exactly how it works, but hopefully a patch or mod will make things behave more sensibly.

Well, an update to the traffic ai would be welcome. I made a 6 lane overpass over a 6 lane main access road, and attached simple on and off ramps. The overpass led to a high density residential and a high density commercial section, and the main access led to the regional connection and the oil and timber industry with the low density residential sector on the other end. Plenty of roadway for my population.

About 10 mins after plopping, I'm seeing long lines of traffic at the off ramp. Apparently everyone who lived in the low density residential thought that the drive home from work would be improved by taking the off ramp, waiting at the intersection, then crossing to the onramp to resume their journey south...even though there were 2 empty lanes of traffic right next to them.

Hmm. I will have to keep that in mind, I'll do some pecking and see how it goes.

My first real attempt at a city is at 18k cims and I'm making 10k a week. I just opened a new mining operation, will have to see how it goes.

• 4 weeks later...

For anyone like me who doesn't want to update right away, the only way I know to prevent it is to put Steam in Offline Mode. I'll be waiting for some mod compatibility to be confirmed, but once it is hopefully I can make some good use of the tunnels.

The mods I use (that I've tried) seem to work. And none of them caused me to crash or anything. I just started a new game instead of continuing, so don't know about any old save compatibility issues.

Haven't tried tunnels yet. Looking forward to it.

The tunnels are nice, but there is no easy way of knowing which way the road direction is (for one way roads, ramps, or highways). The traffic level display doesn't work on underground roads either, though it is easier to see individual vehicles in the tunnels.

Regardless, I'm considering making an underground highway system for my city, after seeing that entire interchanges can be placed below the ground.

A lot of mods are being updated very quickly, much as when KSP gets a new release.

Potential issues with one-way tunnels are a good point. Does the stock direction reversing (right-click in upgrade mode) work for tunnels?

Noob question alert.

I played Simcity2000 (old disk found somewhere) and it was very much grid like, and very...bland. But I loved it to death.

I'm nearly over the edge of buying this game, just a few questions.

How hard will it be for me to get into this game and learn all the controls and such?

Is every task going to take hours? (the steam ad video seemed like it would take forever to accomplish anything)

Thanks. :)

It looks like a carbon copy of SimCity 5, but with all the horrible things fixed. Though I cannot agree with such a blatant copy of someone else's work, the SimCity IP has been so brutally mauled and murdered by EA that it was in dire need of a fix. Maybe it would have been better if they decided to make their own game a little more, but either way, the city builder community is served. This seems to be exactly what SimCity needed to be, and what people paid for. SimCity 5 was an outright scam.

Simcity 5 would have been good if not for EA. The Sims 4 was an 8/10 in my book though.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.