Cities: Skylines

Deadpangod3

Noob question alert.

I played Simcity2000 (old disk found somewhere) and it was very much grid like, and very...bland. But I loved it to death.

I'm nearly over the edge of buying this game, just a few questions.

How hard will it be for me to get into this game and learn all the controls and such?

Is every task going to take hours? (the steam ad video seemed like it would take forever to accomplish anything)

Thanks. :)

It's not too intimidating. Doesn't take too long to accomplish stuff as long as you leave time running while you work on things, i.e. don't pause.

It's not too intimidating. Doesn't take too long to accomplish stuff as long as you leave time running while you work on things, i.e. don't pause.

Interesting. Think I'm gonna go for it.

Also, I won't be able to play for more than an hour at a time probably. (my stupid laptop and charger don't work. The connection is bad or something and it charges very slowly, slower than the computer uses battery. And my goodness is the battery life awful when the processors are actually processing. )

It's literally the first city builder I ever played and I've done fine with it. The game does a good job of easing you in gently and helping you along. How long things take varies, depends how you like playing and what your goals are. If you build to a grid plan, use pre-made interchanges, and don't care what needs bulldozing then you can grow a large city in a few hours. If you prefer a less regular structure, opt to hand-build your junctions, or like to minimise demolition it's naturally going to take longer.

I'm not gonna preorder it, it looks cool and possibly better than simcity. But i can't tell until i get some gameplay footage.

Keralis plays it, he has like, 38 episodes out already.

• 3 weeks later...

So, I'm thinking about getting this game during the Steam Summer Sale. Any advice?

I'm a bit nervous, since every review I've seen so far calls it a great game... then goes on to list tons of flaws. :huh:

Anyone know when the Steam Summer Sale starts at all?

So, I'm thinking about getting this game during the Steam Summer Sale. Any advice?

I'm a bit nervous, since every review I've seen so far calls it a great game... then goes on to list tons of flaws. :huh:

June 11

Buy it, it is good :) Much time will be wasted, as a matter of fact, probably hundreds of hours over the summer lol.

That is the problem with reviewers: if they only praise, they are not doing their work, so they will throw in issues to make it seem like they did :D

The game is not perfect, but perfection is worthless without fun. Fun does Skylines have plenty. The issues that are there are fairly minor and do not ruin the game at all. You must seriously dislike citybuilders or fun to regret buying this game, but blaming Skylines is a hard sell.

That describes all the best games I've ever played. Including Kerbal Space Program.

The game is solid and fun. It beats the pants of the latest Sim City game.

Wow, that's a lot of replies. Thanks guys!

Buy it, it is good :) Much time will be wasted, as a matter of fact, probably hundreds of hours over the summer lol.

Heh. I'm not going on any vacations this summer, so I'm hoping to stock up on a few games during the Sale... it's going to be a pretty empty couple of months :/

I bought it , and all I did was turn down some settings and it became bugged....

I've had two crashes so far. And all the textures flash between a darker normal texture and a lighter messed up texture.

Not to mention one of the crashes took 30 minutes of city building away. :(

Not having the best time. :(

I bought it , and all I did was turn down some settings and it became bugged....

I've had two crashes so far. And all the textures flash between a darker normal texture and a lighter messed up texture.

Not to mention one of the crashes took 30 minutes of city building away. :(

Not having the best time. :(

You should post this on the Paradox C:S forums. I've not heard much about crashes and haven't had any myself.

I installed a "make a save every 10 minutes" mod which I would recommend. I've never needed it, but I'm happy it's there.

I experienced a series of crashes when I first used it, too. Just exit out of Dropbox and the problem goes away for some reason...

:)

What do you mean close out of dropbox? The website or the actual folder on the computer?

if the latter, what do you mean? Not sure I know how to exit out of it.

What do you mean close out of dropbox? The website or the actual folder on the computer?

if the latter, what do you mean? Not sure I know how to exit out of it.

If you are like me, I use DropBox and Microsoft OneDrive all the time. DropBox runs in background, but in the upper memory addresses that are not commonly used by programs... With that said, once i exited out of DropBox (and Outlook) running in the background, I was able to play Cities: Skylines without any problems. You can do this one of two ways: 1) Do a right click on the DropBox icon on your systems tray and select "Exit"... or

2) Open up your Task Manager (control-alt-delete will bring this option up) and select "Task Manager" and look through the Apps, the Background Processes. Find DropBox.exe and do a right click, then select "End Task."

Hope that helps.

I don't mind waiting a week or so for that money money money

It is already off. Even full price, or more than full price is very reasonable for a game of this quality and scope. Matter in fact, I just bought a second copy. One cannot support these developers enough.

Considering full price is already half the price of a normal game title, this is an absolute steal.

This game is amazing. My computer is struggling to run it on low settings though. Any tips?

Also I have continuously been experiencing flashing textures since I started the game. It's quite annoying.

What are your specifications?

Remember the SC: Societies!

All I know and need to know is that it is only SimCity in name.

Edited by Camacha

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.