Cities: Skylines

Deadpangod3

The sad part is when the game only starts to lag at, say, 20k population. I'd rather just hear it straight to my face :P

Same with ksp though. 1 part craft can be lag free and someone can go "yay I can run the game!" and then they build a 100 part craft and watch their FPS drop. Ksp lag is definitely not straight to the face either. :P

C:S is easily more graphically demanding. On the CPU side it depends. KSP is poorly multithreaded so shows up the weakness of CPUs with lower single-threaded performance like the AMD FX range. Cities: Skylines is excellently multithreaded so shows up the weakness of CPUs with lower overall performance including recent Intel dual-cores. Both games share that they can be very CPU-intensive, and that the CPU load depends on something the player controls - part count in KSP, population in Cities.

• 8 months later...
On 2015-06-21 at 5:14 AM, Camacha said:

Is it? I feel KSP can bog down sometimes, while Cities Skylines barely flinched until now.

It can. But I could run KSP perfectly well for a while now. C:S required me to buy a new video card, as A)it was really slow on my old card and B) the act of saving for some reason crashed the game due to lack of Vram.

I had an awesome city going, but my power requirements were getting out of hand. I solved this problem by building a hydroelectric dam.

The dam caused a flood that destroyed half of my city.

I don't have power issues anymore.

54 minutes ago, Randazzo said:

I had an awesome city going, but my power requirements were getting out of hand. I solved this problem by building a hydroelectric dam.

LOL sounds like a perfectly kerbal solution to the problem

4 hours ago, Randazzo said:

Nice. Those dams are tricky, though I've had good enough luck with them provided that I don't build them downstream from a plain, and don't build them up to the shoreline.

For example, despite wasting a lot of potential height, this dam makes all the power for my city (I think it stabilized around 1000 power). I suspect it works well because there is a decently strong current.

2vd37mg.jpg

Edited by Randox

3 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

LOL sounds like a perfectly kerbal solution to the problem

7 minutes ago, Randox said:

Nice. Those dams are tricky, though I've had good enough luck with them provided that I don't build them downstream from a plain, and don't build them up to the shoreline.

For example, despite wasting a lot of potential height, this dam makes all the power for my city (I think it stabilized around 1000 power). I suspect it works well because there is a decently strong current.

Just to be clear, I didn't actually mean to drown my city. I wasn't expecting such a massive flood. And the buildings appear to still be there, I just don't know how to get the water to flow back out. I had a tunnel system built and it turned it into a huge disaster.

21 minutes ago, Randazzo said:

Just to be clear, I didn't actually mean to drown my city. I wasn't expecting such a massive flood. And the buildings appear to still be there, I just don't know how to get the water to flow back out. I had a tunnel system built and it turned it into a huge disaster.

I think if you get rid of the dam, the water will flow out. I had a couple floodings working out my own dams, and this was always the case. Unless the land where you flooded forms a bowl, in which case I guess you've have to dig a trench to drain it, if that's even possible.

I played the game exactly once.

Bought it, downloaded, installed, started and got immersed. 5 hours later and with a few thousand inhabitants strong, the game just crashed. No worries, I'll just load an autosave and resume... Now, where did they put those autosaves? A few minutes of searching the folders and a google search later I find out that there are no autosaves. Mild ragequit, but quit nonetheless.

Now I see that they've released a patch that includes the autosave feature. I might give the game another go.

• 3 weeks later...

Ye gads! I built one water tower, just one, in a residential area, and i don't even remember why. And i forgot all about it. Then I decided to switch that area over to an ore mining district.

Next thing I know I'm wondering why everyone is getting sick and dying. Hospitals are swamped, and the crematoriums are overflowing. CHeck the pollution and water pollution is at 23% and climbing. I switched all my pumps to a pristine freshwater lake and pollution still climbed to 27%! Then I finally found that water tower.

A little late! My population is down by 40k, 20k ppl sick, 7k bodies scattered around the city, including way over on the other side of the city from that tower! , and my budget is a mess! I think I'm going to delete water towers from the game so I never build another one! Even after fixing the problem the pop dropped by another 20k, to half of where it was 

Edited by StrandedonEarth

5 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Ye gads! I built one water tower, just one, in a residential area, and i don't even remember why. And i forgot all about it. Then I decided to switch that area over to an ore mining district.

Next thing I know I'm wondering why everyone is getting sick and dying. Hospitals are swamped, and the crematoriums are overflowing. CHeck the pollution and water pollution is at 23% and climbing. I switched all my pumps to a pristine freshwater lake and pollution still climbed to 27%! Then I finally found that water tower.

A little late! My population is down by 40k, 20k ppl sick, 7k bodies scattered around the city, including way over on the other side of the city from that tower! , and my budget is a mess! I think I'm going to delete water towers from the game so I never build another one! Even after fixing the problem the pop dropped by another 20k, to half of where it was 

Sounds kinda like a recent event in the real world with water supply too.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.