Cities: Skylines

Deadpangod3

@ Cantab

Well the back up they go! I might as well build up a bit of savings.

Here's another thing that's been confusing me. http://i.imgur.com/DoZOZ2q.png

I setup a little ore mining town (from what I can tell it's right on top of a good deposit), set the neighborhood to be set as a mining industry, but in that overlay it shows no ore being used. Plenty available, but the amount used is a grand zero. The neighborhood is producing though, ore trucks are going in and out all day long. But it's not registering for some reason.

How long has your ore industry been operating before you looked?

The industries only mine the spot directly below them ... this also means that the spot is rapidly exhausted.

Afterwards (i.e. when the ore in the sport they are standing on is exhausted) the companies switch to working with imported ore (i.e. if you have no active mines in your city, with ore that comes from other cities)

Same goes for the oil industry (also meaning that, in order to totally mine an ore deposit/oil field, you always have to switch and zone new industries (at spots that still have ore/oil).

Something I definitely dislike about C:S

Addendum:

Also, have you painted a new district above the ore deposit and gave it the specialization ore mining?

If you haven´t, then the industries you build there will just be normal industries with no connction to mining (same goes for farming, forestry and oil)

Note that the corner angle is relevant for traffic flow. It looks like this intersection could be optimised a lot in that sense without adding much road surface.
As much as anything I got the sharp angles because it's hard to place curving roads symmetrically, and I was generally struggling to place the pillars on the slip ramps.

Of course all that was moot as I had to scratch build in my city and the version there is a bit different. A bit messier and it too has some sharp curves. The bus drivers at least seem to take them like they're Sandra Bullock in Speed, but so far the interchange is vastly underused.

I also had a big issue with my busway. It's separated from the frontage road by one zone square, and it seems like that one-square gap can't be crossed by a footpath, I ended up having to add unwanted roads for the passengers to walk round.

On the ore district PTNLemay, it does look like a mineout actually.

So, a simple question: Is this game worth getting? The latest SimCity is (or could've been) a good game but it has way too many problems and that makes it super frustrating. Good idea, bad execution, so to speak. This, on the other hand, looks a lot more promising and I like the fact that it has mod support as well.

http://i.imgur.com/kpIvjO1.jpg

Is that an 4-eyed alien??????????

Cities: Skylines is Iluminalien confirmed?

You see nothing!

which map is this? i've all the stock maps of the game but i haven't found anything like that?

It's a map I made in the map editor called Reticulated Pines.

...which just got it's Hadron Collider finally! :D

26F9C0A5EE7A6EF57D155301F046D4CCC0458692

So, a simple question: Is this game worth getting? The latest SimCity is (or could've been) a good game but it has way too many problems and that makes it super frustrating. Good idea, bad execution, so to speak. This, on the other hand, looks a lot more promising and I like the fact that it has mod support as well.

definitely worth it. i didn't buy simcity because you had to be always online plus other problems i read on the internet. city skylines has a lot of fun and it can run at a modest pc, according to the specs my laptop shouldn't run cities but it runs with no lag. the only things missing are natural disasters and terrain formation tools while building your city.

Money doesn't buy you happiness :P

More seriously, in my experience raising them too much makes leave. I nearly bankrupted my city doing that by falling into a vicious circle of raise tax rate > people leave > tax revenue declines > raise tax rate. Conversely lowering them might stimulate growth.

Meanwhile, I've been building a vague approximation of a Victorian slum,

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7588/16764008828_3f9ef69056_o.jpg

The real-world counterpart: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Back-to-back_houses . Taking the approach in Cities is neat because it gives you a high population density without the effects on demographics that "high density" has.

Aerial view of the whole city: https://flic.kr/p/rxofds .

It's not changed much, I spent most of today building the big highway through Bromwicham. I didn't want to demolish or move service buildings so I worked to thread it round three medical centres, two schools, and a police station. With six separate carriageways it got pretty complicated. At the moment it seems to work OK but the traffic load is really light, it's nowhere near really tested.

One small mistake. I can see at least 2 parking spaces/gardens that have not bee replaced with 10 houses or a block of flats... ;)

Love the layout though. Looks a lot like where I grew up... lots of Victorian houses.

Easily. ANYBODY with an interest in city building games is doing themselves a disservice if they don't get this.

definitely worth it. i didn't buy simcity because you had to be always online plus other problems i read on the internet. city skylines has a lot of fun and it can run at a modest pc, according to the specs my laptop shouldn't run cities but it runs with no lag. the only things missing are natural disasters and terrain formation tools while building your city.
Easily. ANYBODY with an interest in city building games is doing themselves a disservice if they don't get this.

Thanks! I guess I'll buy it whenever it's on sale. 28€ is a bit too much right now as I've been buying quite a lot of games lately.. :sticktongue:

The industries only mine the spot directly below them ... this also means that the spot is rapidly exhausted.
On the ore district PTNLemay, it does look like a mineout actually.

I think that's it. I removed the buildings and checked under them, and all the blue on that map overlay is gone where they were. They gobbled it up damn quickly.

I really like the game, but the bit about mods will really depend on how much interest there is from the modders. The devs have setup a platform, now it's up to clever programmers to create the fun add-ons. So far all there really is is small stuff like pre-built road pattersn, new buildings, or tweaks to the colors (like greener trees).

Personally I'd love more in-depth changes, like being able to play on a night map, or a winter map. Or late-game buildings like fusion reactors, super tall buildings, and mag-lev trains.

Edited by PTNLemay

I'd say yes, but then it's literally the only city builder I've played ever. It's not perfect but it's been very enjoyable for me, and it doesn't have any of the major out-of-game issues that SimCity had at launch.

As for mods, at the moment it seems a bit flooded by quickly-made titbits, things like recolours of existing buildings. But we can expect more sophisticated mods to come; I believe most Unity games are highly moddable.

The one city builder to be wary of is the Cities XL series (unrelated to Cities:Skylines) which has had a lot of controversy over new full-price releases adding basically nothing over previous versions.

Or late-game buildings like fusion reactors, super tall buildings, and mag-lev trains.
The first two are in the stock game :D You need to progress through unlocking the Unique Buildings and then the Monuments.

I´d call it more of a successor to Sim City 4 than Sim City 2013.

It also has nice ideas that deviate from Sim City.

For example Districts ... you paint them onto the map and then can set industrial specialization and special policies for all buildings in thsi district.

It also gives you statistics for the district.

Or specialized pedestrian walkways ... which you can use to give your citizens easier pedestrian access to several parts of your city, without the need to build roads for this.

I use them very often in my cities, as they help to persuade citizens to use their feet instead of their cars

Or the ability to buy new parcels of land as your city grows

Thanks! I guess I'll buy it whenever it's on sale. 28€ is a bit too much right now as I've been buying quite a lot of games lately.. :sticktongue:

If you look around it can be had for around 20 euros and about the same in dollars.

And 60€ was cheap for a broken game? (Simcity 2013)

You guys are getting me very tempted. I have one question: If I buy it and download it, will I be able to install it on more than one computer, mine and my son's?

Simply copying the game folder does not seem to work, but I see no reason Steam could not be installed on two computers, with one instance running in offline mode. On the legality of that I will not comment, you would have to ask Valve about that. Do note that achievements will obviously not work on the offline computer. There is also the option of sharing your library with a Steam friend, allowing the other to gain achievements, but that means you cannot play at the same time.

Edited by Camacha

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.