Letters - Delivery One

To:

All Confederation Directors, Managers, and Governors

F.D. Kerman

Head Counsel of the Confederation

Subject:

Survival of the Space Program

My fellow citizens,

As you all know, over five hundred years ago our forefathers, many diehard environmentalists, decided that the best thing for the planet was to live underground. Vast underground cities were dug out, super-fast underground transportation systems were developed, thermoelectric generators were created which used the very warmth of the planet to keep our civilization going. Our meat animals, pets, domesticated flora were brought into underground barns and farms.

We learned to live, work, and love deep under the surface believing that by doing so we were helping our dear planet, Kerbin, and while away from Kerbol’s loving sunshine we thought we were doing the right thing.

Over 30 years ago it was decided to send a surface team to check out how lovely and rich the new biosphere of the planet had become.

And they found a waste.

Without us much of the animal life on the surface had died out. The wild creatures had lived off our trash, they had sheltered in our buildings during the coldest of months and the hottest of seasons, and millions lived off our very bodies. When we buried ourselves we doomed them all to die out.

The soil had been destroyed by our chemicals and farming methods even while we retreated to the caverns. Only a few plants were found to have survived here and there.

The oceans were lifeless. Our waste, which we had dumped into the waters, had fed many of the bottom feeders and one-cell animals. They were the roots of the food chain. When we cut off their food we cut down the tree of life within the oceans.

The very air was so bad that we now have to wear spacesuits on the surface of our own planet. And those birds you hear are mostly scavengers.

In order to understand what had happened, we created the Kerbal Space Center to carry out a study of our planet and the other nearby worlds.

We have explored Kerbin and placed stations around it and Mun. We have flown to the North Pole and scouted out the ruins of our past. We have gained much knowledge and great glory.

But two weeks ago new laws were passed, against my will, designed to limit our impact on the surface of Kerbin and other planets. One of these laws will be effecting the industry dealing with fuel production. It will force them to decrease it over the next few months.

I need the KSC staff and those involved with the Kerbal Space Program in general to do their best to deal with these troubling times. We need to find new methods, new designs, and new equipment to overcome the barriers that have been put in front of us.

Thank you,

signed with respect,

F. D. Kerman

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

To:

All KSC staff

B. V. Kerman

Director of KSC

Subject:

Our short-term objectives

Okay folks, you have all seen the copy of the message from the Head-Banana of the Confederation.

Well, there is more bad news, not just the laws that hurt our fuel tanks.

It has been detected that our own sun, Kerbol, will be having increase solar activity soon. As you know, this sometimes causes quakes on Mun and causes all kinds of havoc with our equipment. Our A.I units always, ALWAYS, go off line and need to be replaced.

But the fuel problem MAY be overcome soon. Our Science guys and those other nerds, the engineers, have found that many planets and their moons have material that can, if properly processed, can give us the fuel we need. Lately, most of our craft have been launching with half empty tanks anyway, to decrease their mass, so a shortage in fuel may not hurt us until later.

Now, we are soon to be getting more hands to help in our labor in the form of female crewmembers. Yes, girls, so start shaving and using deodorant. They are still in training but I want you to start acting normal NOW. Think of it as your training. No more shirtless video calls.

What I need from you guys are four things:

1. Find ways to make craft that can be used multiply times in multiply ways - no more decommissioning a craft just because you don’t need it for the next few weeks. The Fuel Trailers and the program to develop the Space Tugs as the “Mule†of space are a good start. We also have a Orbital Tug that is being tested as I write this.

jR94dWr.png

2. The Science Station around Kerbin, the ISS C.J.Cherryh, must be reconfigured to be used as a high traffic Fueling Station and Base of Operations for Kerbin orbit. That means that some modules may have to be removed or replaced. I want a careful study on all choices - we can’t waste any material or any fuel.

Nek5iP4.png

3. We have a small base on the Mun and a orbiting Science Station. We will have to search for spots on the Mun where we can find the material we need for the processing of fuel. Mining Craft, Transport Craft and other craft will need to be designed and created for this. The Science Station, the ISS Lisanne Norman, must be used as a Base of operations and a Fueling Station. I want it ready.

uwJJg2g.png

4. As we will only launch craft and fuel when we NEED to, we must do our best, with every launch, to deliver skilled crew to our station and bases. I want engineers on the spot to repair equipment and trained pilots to do the flying. I want our scientists to record and study and give the KSC feedback on everything we do - so as to improve on it. See Point 1.

As you also may know, the Stephen Baxter, our working Space Tug, had two A.I units attacked to it with ports. The idea is damaged units can be replaced when needed. Or even moved to second ship if not needed by the first one.

WDuITUV.png

No more wielding the things to the hulls of the ship and having to destroy half the craft just to get them off.

So let’s get on it! Move, move, move! I want reports and suggestions on my desk by tomorrow.

signed,

I said MOVE!

B. V. Kerman

Letters - Delivery Two

To:

B. V. Kerman

Director of KSC

From

Jebediah Kerman

Senior Pilot of ISS C.J. Cherryh

Subject:

Status Report

Greetings,

After filing a official complaint against your first set of orders I have followed them. The “Escape†Pod has been undocked after we took anything of value from it. Yes, yes, I know the proper term is unberthed. I don‘t care. Once again I protest this action. You know, as while as much of the staff, that is was not just an escape pod but a delivery system for the station’s crew.

ZdYcwrO.png

When it was time for the three crew members to leave they would use the pod. And the three new crew to Kerbal the station would come up with the new pod.

As for it being worthless, that is your fault. You shipped up more staff then the pod could handle. We have eight Kerbals up here! Three Pilots, three Scientists, and two Engineers. And ONE spaceship. ONE! Why three pilots?

Yes, I know we need the docking ports. And yes, I know one is occupied forever by the additional habitation module. But surely one of the three docking ports could have a craft of some kind ready for returning to Kerbin if need be.

Enough of that. Your other order - to remove the unneeded extensions have been carried out. They are now ready for future unneeded extensions.

oJIoIEw.png

K7wBkXe.png

I left Gilcott Kerman in command while I did the piloting myself. Didn’t have to turn on the Tug’s nuclear engines, not that anybody wants those on so close to the station, and even saved some of the fuel from the discarded tanks. BUT used up about three-fourths of my RCS fuel and that’s no joke. After all, when you think about, I docked three times in a row.

jOdkbbf.png

LbMBZ12.png

I think the only reason I have any monopropellant left is because the two A.I. units came with some. I also think their probes are helping a tad with handling. Anyway, I know the station has a huge tank of the stuff but send more anyway.

From now one I would suggest that the Space Tug, and future Space Tugs, be only used for Kerbin-Moon hauling.

Bob and Bill are both doing well. Of course they are - I’m the one that has been in command of this station for the past SEVEN years!

Oh, and we need more of the red food cubes. It was a real hit with the crew the last few weeks and now we’re out of them. Right now we’re living on the brown paste we get from the food recycler and we’re all just a tad sick of it. I even miss the green gel in a tube we use to eat on the Mun visits.

signed,

I didn’t know she was you wife!

“Jebâ€Â

Dear Mom and Dad,

Well, you asked about life on the Mun. Not much to say. I man the Ranger Station here at the Historical landing site, where Bill Kerman, the first Kerbal to walk on the Mun, landed. Funny, we sometimes use man or Kerbal. Sorry, I always get off track.

ztRSFdx.png

So here I am, watching over the flag and an old T-Rover from the time period. It looks small compared to my T-Buggy but they both handle badly on the Mun. They have a habit of not wishing to turn, even when you turn the SAS off. I’ve been told it is the tires they both use. No reason to drive anywhere anyway, nothing to see.

I mean, if I was a scientist and the base has science stuff, I might drive about and collect samples. But I’m an engineer. I’m here to make sure the equipment is kept in order and that visitors don’t break it.

The site is in the Mun Highlands. I guess it is better then being on one of the flat boring plains. But landing here can be a tad dangerous. Slopes all over the place.

They say there may be mining on the Mun in the future and I am not sure but it may happen near me. While I am in the Highlands I also seem to be in a crater - maybe the hills around me were created when a large asteroid hit the Mun? Either way, it could be the material needed for the creation of fuel may be all around me.

YXnrtpJ.png

The Ranger Station is really just a lander with a two-crew command cabin. It gives me more room to relax or move around than some of the other command modules. The A.I. unit was decoupled and the engines turned off. It is now a base for the rest of its life. Funny, in a few years it will be the only space craft of its kind. All others will have ports for A.I. units.

It was a model very much like it that landed the Buggy and will likely be used in future landings. But those will all have A.I. units to help direct their operations and senior ports to carry cargo. I wonder if they are fun to chat with? The A.I. units, I mean.

I have a small library of music I like, audio books I enjoy, and of course can send you letters when the Mun is facing Kerbin or when the station is in the proper position. Stocked up with all the food cubes, tubes of paste, and packets of flavored drinks a person could ever want. Don’t worry Mom, I watch my weight and don’t over do it.

Of course, the day and night cycle is a tad weird. I have to use an alarm clock to tell me when it is time to get up or go to bed and I have a blanket I sometimes put over the viewing window. I like to keep active when I can - the low gravity forces you to keep exercising. I jog in place, do push ups and twists, and all kinds of other weird zero-gravity moves to help keep my muscles healthy.

zm4GopJ.png

I don’t get much in the way of visitors, to be honest. Kerbin-Mun traffic happens more now that the station is in place but rarely do people land on the Mun anymore. The station above me does not even have a lander right now. Maybe they will get one for scouting out the surface?

Well, I look forward to you writing back.

love,

Your son

Jedgan Kerman

Senior (and only) Engineer of the Mun Ranger Station

Letters - Delivery Three

To:

B. V. Kerman

Director of KSC

N. V. Kerman

Section 9

Subject:

Special A. I. Projects

Dude!

How's it hanging? I have some news for you from the research and development front of our little machine guys.

First, all the math says our SSTO (Single Stage To Orbit) craft, named "Buzz" can make it to stable orbit with a few drops of fuel still in the tanks. We just don't know how well it can come down. I mean, a Space Tug would have to meet it, take off the passengers and refuel some of the tanks, in order for it to reenter the atmosphere. But while we worked long and hard to make a small craft able to get into the vacuum of icy, deadly, harsh space, we only put on some heavy duty landing gears and some chutes. We don't know if Buzz, that's the name we gave the machine intelligence attached to the hull (don't you think the term artificial intelligence is mean?), can bring it down safely. So, I suggest when you use it the first time, only send up two Kerbals, no pilot, so when it comes we don't lose anybody. You dig?

fSEVt9U.png

Not that you can send anybody else up, I hear the station already has eight people. Unless you have people sleeping in the command cabins, that's the limit.

Also, even if "Buzz" (the SSTO not the A.I. unit) works now, we don't know what future solar activity will, like, do to our atmosphere. Like, every time we get hit by the big bright guy in the sky, our planet reacts with the ocean releasing all kinds of isotopes and all kinds of chemical reactions. What do they call it - the "flower shed" effect or something? I forgot. The problem is things will get worse and we may have to start thinking about protecting returning craft from the massive heat build up during reentry.

The other project, the A. I. controlled Rover program, was doing badly at first. We inserted one of those portable A. I. units and it worked up to the point where it started just driving in circles. That kind of spooked us, to be honest, and we had to retire it. It seemed a slight slope freaked it out or something. It was sad really.

So we made a simple rover, you now, with a low, wide body, reactors, a probe body, rechargeable bank, and a docking port in front.

M2m27do.png

It gives the A. I. unit a sense of direction. Then we mapped out a path for it to follow and let it go! We, of course, made sure the route selected went around any big mountains - even a crewed buggy has problems with those big boys.

zFeupUI.png

So we watched its progress, took some photos. At two hours, twelve minutes, and fourteen seconds, on the way to its second waypoint, it exploded. Have no idea why - can't even find any pieces. Total mystery. It's if the planet itself was trying to kill us or everything we make.

sobsjKb.png

Does explain why most Kerbals stay inside when off duty.

But we now know WHY the first one freaked out. We were telling it go somewhere without telling it where to go. Like, it got confused and had a nervous breakdown.

Oh, that Mun ranger has been sending us data about the two cars he has up there. I think one is a T-Rover (though not sure why it is called a rover) and the other one is a Mun Buggy. Seems the Rover handles a tad better and has a longer charge. Somebody forgot to give the Buggy solar panels. But both seem to handle well as long as you keep it around 4 meters per second. Kind of slow but, hey, low gravity, you dig?

5O4br5F.png

Our Rover was doing a nice 10 meters per second. Course...it exploded. So it was doing badly at second too. HA!

In return for his data we gave him some advice on piloting the ship. No, don't worry, he didn't do anything outside his skill level. He just moved it about three meters, so the flag could get some of that light from the lamps. Looks a tad better, don't you think?

I3Pu6uR.png

Hey, well, I have to test out some new ways to use our friendly little metal minds, so try to chill.

lovingly,

DUDE!

N. V. Kerman

Letters - Delivery Four

Travel Log by Matbo Karman

Waypoint One

HiyR6xt.png

Reached the first Waypoint with the A. I. Controlled Buggy. Only took about 22 minutes. I am not sure why the folks in charge picked such a close location to KSC - I guess they want me to move in small amounts.

Waypoint One is 216 meters above sea level, at Latitude 0 45' 29" North and Longitude 284 13' 19" East.

We moved at 10 meters per second. As we were in the shore area and then glass lands there are only some small hills - nothing to really worry about. Yeah, we. I am counting the A. I. as a person as it gives me somebody to talk to. Being a Artificial Intelligence at least means it can understand half the stuff I am talking about.

mvApssD.png

The Buggy is all function - the only science I get to do is pick up soil samples. I guess that is why they sent a scientist. I wonder if I could repair a wheel if I need too? The cabin has snacks, a food and drink recycler, and just enough room to let me sleep sitting up.

I guess it is a good thing I can get out and walk around. This would seem to be good training if I ever go to the Mun or another planet. And yes, I did pick up a soil sample. Frankly, I am amazed anything lives out here at all. The so-called "grass" looks more like moss or some form of lichen to me.

4j6xP5h.png

The Buggy has a battery bank, with enough reactors and solar panels to keep it going. I think I will wait for nightfall before heading out for the next leg of the journey to see how well it does without Kerbol helping it along.

LWwyO1k.png

I know it is only a short distance but I can no longer see the space center. I better make sure the pellet gun they gave me is in working order. I never trusted those ugly birds.

To:

All KSC staff

B. V. Kerman

Director of KSC

Subject:

FYI

Okay folks, just a little run down on how the different departments are doing - their projects and such.

First off, the first few rover tests with A. I. units were not failures. No test is a failure unless WE fail to learn from them. We already have two A. I. mobile units at work on Kerbin.

One manned Buggy heading north - testing out how well a portable unit can handle a Buggy with a crew member in it.

We also have another version of the A. I. controlled rover, this time shielded, exploring the land south of KSC. It's assignment is to find a safe, flat area for the future SSTO to land for servicing and refueling.

D0uWqJP.png

We also reopened the airfield hanger - had to clean out all the rusting aircraft and a colony of terror birds - so we could have a work space for our project of making a ground truck to refuel the SSTO. The CLAW system will be used.

Section 9 is doing a wonderful job and I all hope you send a letter to encourage them to keep up the good work.

The SSTO should be ready for a live test any day now. The computer simulations show it reaching orbit, where it will need refueling, and being able to land near KSC, well within range of our ground crew to transfer crew and fuel it up. The drop tank was replaced with a permanent tank with the same fuel set up. So it is truly a Single Stage To Orbit craft that can carry three passengers.

Yes, we'll send up a replacement for Jebediah Kerman so he stops sending you all whining letters.

The Orbital Tug has had a slight change made to it. When Jebediah pointed out how much mono he used in docking just a few times we realized that the Orbital Tug will be doing a lot more docking then the Space Tug as it will be helping in space not just to move cargo but also in future orbital construction. We doubled the mono it carries. We doubt this will effect the launch in anyway as it is using the same launch assembly as the Space Tug.

7hU7ffI.png

We also noticed that while the Space Tug costs $183,432.4 the Orbital Tug only costs $171,784. As the Orbital Tug can likely also carry cargo and parts to Kerbin’s moons we feel, strongly, that instead of one Orbital Tug and two Space Tugs we should have two Orbital Tugs and one Space Tug. A small savings but every pence counts.

For comparison one Portable A. I. unit costs $44,840 and the SSTO costs $41,177.2. Remember that ships or stations with Portable A. I. units will have two so you would want to add $89,680 to the cost of each Tug. The SSTO will have a built-in A. I. unit, which costs $750.

Now, as we have learned a great deal about using jet engines, and in fact have be using them for the first stage of the launch system for the Fuel Trailers, our costs may start going down as we apply this knowledge to future launches of the Tugs and payloads. The large cost of the Tugs comes mostly from the fuel and the launch system. Once we perfect the launch system and, we hope, start producing fuel outside the gravity well, costs should drop greatly.

QicJyM5.png

KtEIIbC.png

In fact Fuel Trailer Four was launched, after some issues, with a new improved launch system. One that the A. I. unit found easier to handle. In fact, after replacing the de-coupler on the last booster stage with a senior docking port, to allow for fuel cross feeding, it was pointed out that this would also be a way to recycle rocket engines for future use in orbit.

ENlRbfg.png

eGC07wZ.png

As plans for interplanetary missions are drawn up, and distances become as important as cargo, we may increase the number of Space Tugs (if needed).

As our methods and designs improve the choices for future growth increase.

signed,

Keep up the good work,

B. V. Kerman

Letters - Delivery Five

Waypoint Two

4jOfSh2.png

Started off for Waypoint Two once Kerbol was behind the hills.

u3PFBWd.png

The solar panels were getting some sunlight for part of the journey but even after it went totally dark there was no power issues. On the other hand, the A. I. unit does not need light to sense its way, so we didn't use the headlights.

3Wx9hdx.png

xxp1Hjb.png

We got to the second Waypoint in less then an hour at 10 meters per second. Location 1 39' 51" North, 75 35' 13" West, about 404 meters above sea level. I walked about in the dark with my helmet light on to check the Buggy. No damage yet. Seems to be holding up well.

ehOVKEN.png

I didn't hear any birds so left the gun in the cabin. It may be there are none around here or they return to their nests at night. Or should I say dens? I assume they live under the ground so I assume the proper term would be den.

Before boarding I also collected a soil sample but the A. I. suggested I dump it back outside the cabin as it was the same as the first soil sample I took at Waypoint One. One soil sample from a "grassland" is the same as another.

I did what he suggested - why take on more weight then we need? I had a green food cube for dinner and than went to sleep.

Addition : Woke up early this morning to a beeping from the panels. It is still dark outside and I am sure it isn't the wake up I asked for. Seems the A. I. sensed something happening behind us, at KSC. When I asked what was happening he told me that "Buzz" was going up for the first time.

Memory File - 1001101011

Generated By A. I. Unit 1010011 - Known As Buzz

SOIdvFw.png

It has been 23 years and 31 days since the Kerbal Space Center officially launched its first mission. My sensors tell me it is still dark and I wait for the time to launch. My systems are checked and rechecked by my eager but also nervous creators.

They call me "Buzz" after the craft I will be piloting. The Single-Stage-To-Orbit Kerbal Delivery Craft named Buzz by the VAB staff. This will be my first "live" launch.

I have done this flight a hundred times on the computers. I know what to do, when to do it. I don't understand why they seem so nervous. I was created to fly this craft. It was designed to do this. We are perfect together.

The weather is perfect for launch - but Kerbin has very little in the way of any type of bad weather.

Senior Pilot Jebediah Kerman has already moved the "Stephen Baxter" away from the station. I am to rendezvous with him and his craft. He is coming back to the surface. I am told he is very happy. I wonder if he understands he will likely be selected to launch the newly designed Orbital Tug back up to the station?

It is time for launch. It is up to me - I control everything. I warm up my jet engines and after about ten seconds I lift off the pad. I pull in my landing gears.

S6rBJYu.png

At around 6.9 Kilometers I start the gravity turn.

ueFZofL.png

At around 20 Kilometers I turn off the oxygen intakes. I have turned my jet engines into rockets.

Qvx6E8U.png

This is the point where my design must prove itself. I allow my engines, as programmed, to overheat. I must make it into orbit at all cost.

I finally turn off my engines, letting them cool off, as I coast to the edge of the atmosphere and beyond.

6lYz6y6.png

I check my systems and my fuel. It will be enough. When it is time I burn to create a stable orbit.

It is done. I am in orbit. I have 174 units of Liquid Fuel left and 213 units of Oxidizer left. I alert KSC and the "Stephen Baxter" that Buzz is in a stable orbit. There are cheers from the ground crew. Senior Pilot Jebediah Kerman lets off a shout. The A.I. units of his Space Tug start moving the tug to dock with me.

FYkHXEY.png

Their names, given to them by their creators, are "Lucy" and "Ricardo", but only one is functioning right now to save power.

9sglEaa.png

Also, no station or ship needs the processing power of two units. That would be, as the creators say, "overkill".

4ClL02R.png

The two ships dock and the returning Senior Pilot uses his seat's trans-matter cushions to move between the ships without having to do a "space walk". I believe they still have training courses for it in the KSC's swimming pool. Not sure why - only the veterans seem to carry out EVAs anymore.

FrESxx1.png

"Jeb", as the other creators call him starts to look for, what he calls "booze" as I take on fuel. Only my central tank will be topped off. I exchange data with "Lucy" and "Ricardo". I learn about the "C. J. Cherryh" from them and I update them about the events on the surface. It only takes a few seconds to exchange all the knowledge we all three hold. By then I am ready to return to the surface.

Letters - Delivery Six

To:

B. V. Kerman

Director of KSC

Jebediah Kerman

Senior Pilot of ISS C.J. Cherryh

Subject:

SSTO's Flaws

r91zbk8.png

So, while this thing takes me back down to the planet I figured I would use my portable notepad to type down a few things your engineers may have failed to understand before making this thing.

But first, to be fair, it does look lovely. Truly. Makes the rest of our current ships, and most of our past craft design, look like junk.

Okay, first big fail. No booze. Heck, if I can't pilot it at least give me something to do during the ride.

But also the fact that you plan to make the Space Tugs, not just tugs and small fuel trucks but also shuttles. Now, that sounds great up to the point where three replacement crew use the SSTO to dock with a Space Rug carrying three crew returning to Kerbin.

Somebody has to do a space walk. Here, let me spell it out for you. The trans-matter seats can't send somebody to a occupied seat. So somebody will have to leave one of the ships, let the rest of the people teleport, and then move to the other craft.

Don't believe me? Draw two circles. Put three coins, head up, in circle A. Put three coins, tails up, in circle B. Take one coin out of circle B. Now, try to transfer the crew, the coins, between the two craft, or circles, without forcing that poor guy hanging onto the ladder outside to do a EVA to A other craft. Here, let me stop writing so you can try it.

See? The SSTO is nice and small and very cute. But a bigger SSTO would have been better. True, it would have needed more fuel, and mass, and blah, blah, blah.

I can see such craft as being useful on other planets but it needs to be perfected first. It still needs work.

Maybe experimenting with the Fuel Trailer launch system? That uses the same engines and that's overpowered, right? Maybe the next SSTO should have a Hitchhiker? With a BAR!

809kkVy.png

Now if you excuse me, the outside of the ship is starting to glow, so I better make sure my seat straps are tight and everything is secure.

signed,

Incoming!

"Jeb"

Dear Nephews.

Its your Uncle Macdrin "The Cosmic Engineer" Kerman! How are you guys doing? Did you hear - I am now the driver to one of the coolest ground Fuelers in the space program!

I was waiting when the brand new, highly advanced, SSTO Kerbal Delivery Ship, named the Buzz, came down to a land.

7Z7Nwbo.png

It was a beauty. All slim and powerful. Came down a tad off target but it's all good as long as you don't crash, right kids?

1gaCtxj.png

dpW4gn2.png

And guess who was in it? Jebediah Kerman! Man, I felt honored to welcome him aboard once the link was made. He seemed excited about being teleported into the Hitchhiker. Checked out every draw and container.

bsLDKqo.png

Now, as you know, the CLAW is a piece of equipment based off the same technology we use for our trans-matter seat cushions. So it can be used to transfer crew as while as fuel. Course, pipes and hose move fuel faster, so using the CLAW to fuel up a craft takes forever. And I have to be careful about which tanks I fill up first - a unbalanced craft could tip over in our gravity real easy.

dwsKOwW.png

Once it was fuelled up I teleported over to the cabin. Not just to check it out but so I could pop out the hatch and pack up the parachutes. The job of an engineer never ends.

XZmoG3v.png

The Fueler had at least three-fourths of its fuel left as we backed away. Jebediah seemed REALLY happy to be back on Kerbin. Still, I bet he can't wait to get back into space, like all the fly boys!

Well, tell your Ma and Pa I said hello and I will be visiting in a few weeks. Maybe have an old fashion picnic in the park?

signed,

Best Uncle Ever,

Macdrin Kerman

PS - I think I might suggest they add headlights to the Fueler. And maybe move the CLAW arm to one side so I can see?

Letters - Delivery Seven

To:

B. V. Kerman

Director of KSC

F.D. Kerman

Subject:

Generating Public Awareness

As you know not everybody in the Capital, or among the outlying provinces, is a hard-die member of the "Kerbin First" movement. The discovery that the planet had not recovered from our harmful existence weakened their position greater making their environmentalist founders look, for lack of a better word, like idiots. There was a backlash and then a counter-backlash and no doubt more backlashes to come.

Right now, there is a ripple among the populace. They want to see something great, somewhat wonderful, not just a few space stations, not just a moon mission once and awhile. And there are some among them willing to give their all to help the Kerbal Space Program create something wonderful.

I am, of course, talking about the "Duna Direct" crowd. Now, no, I know they sometimes come across as a tad strong. But their numbers are growing and, more importantly, they have become willing to fund any Duna related projects.

So today I will announce, to the public, the formation of the Duna Space Program, under the control of the Kerbin Space Program of course, whose goal is to explore and develop Duna.

Our PR guys even made a flag for those craft and crew going to Duna.

KSP Flag -

bP361Ks.png

DSP Flag -

bk9U0Eg.png

Okay, they only took a few minutes, but it looks good.

What I need you to do is get the people to notice the space program.

Thank you,

signed with respect,

F. D. Kerman

To:

All KSC staff

B. V. Kerman

Director of KSC

Subject:

FYI - Update

Okay folks, as you may have heard over the vision channels or the audio stations, we now have a baby brother called Duna Space Program.

Now, getting to Duna can be a problem - as the next window for launching to it is something like a year and a half. Which gives us a ton of time to develop some packages to send to it.

The R&D department, with help from Section 9, has already designed a simple Robotic Tug with five tiny landing probes.

MtKM2Td.png

We have also been asked to get the populace's attention. So, after some debate among my own scientists and engineers, we have decided we need to go to Minmus. Now, while it needs somewhat more Delta-V to get to its lower gravity means landing and taking off requires less fuel. And it is our belief that we should not put all our eggs into one basket.

In other words - having two future sources of fuel is better then one.

Also, exploring Duna may be exciting but will happen in very short bursts with long periods in between. We need projects to keep the public interested during those periods "in between".

Putting a station around Minmus and maybe placing a Ranger Station on it may help our public relations.

We also have another project in the works. We're thinking of a "mother" ship, designed to carry probes and landing craft to other planets. A manned ship not just a large tug. Of course I mean after the other planets have been scouted out and developed. I see no reason to endanger such an costly piece of equipment by stranding it in some backwater part of the system.

aUqtPw5.png

We're still working out all the problems and issues with such a monster. It isn't as hard as you would think - in some ways it is just a space station with more fuel tanks and nuclear engines. Once in orbit we could add more craft and drones to it, refuel it, and crew it.

Who ends up as its crew depends on how well you all perform in the next few years.

Due to the nature of these new developments the Confederation has sent us extra security in the form of Confederation soldiers. PLEASE don't cause problems. They are here to protect and serve us, not spy on us or get in our way.

GdCm2WO.png

Just show them your IDs and try not to get impatient.

signed,

Let's all get along,

B. V. Kerman

PS - "Jeb" - Stay away from the soldiers. Stay away from their barracks. Stay away from their mess hall. And stay AWAY from their military equipment.

Letters - Delivery Eight

Waypoint Three

0TdSD0B.png

Only took us about 40 some minutes to get to our new location at Waypoint Three. It is Latitude 3 04' 51" North, Longitude 7 03' 33" West, at about 540 meters above sea level. The A.I. unit says we are 33 kilometers away from KSC.

3KO5Cps.png

I have asked permission to continue to another waypoint, this time heading inland and going for at least an hour or more. After some debate my superiors at the Center agreed but only if I kept our travel time to within an hour.

Waypoint Four

We are now at 5 22' 48 North and 74 42' 43" West. Took a little more than 50 something minutes at 10 meters per second. Just grassland as far as the eyes can see with some larger hills to the north. We are 680 meters above sea level.

On the way here we transmitted all our data and the soil sample were destroyed (as the A. I. had to break it down for study).

According to orbital maps, if I head a tad west, then northwest, I could slip through a passage between two mountain ranges. I could explore where no Kerbal has gone before.

Of course, there is a debate but in the end the folks at KSC agree to allow me to try. After all if something happens I am the one who has to walk all the way back. Maybe I could find some new soil samples?

Should take us about 20 minutes to get to the next Waypoint. Here we go!

Waypoint Five

Okay, here we are, at 5 26' 20" North, 75 23' 09" West. We are about 800 meters above sea level and, yes, we are in the Highlands. Of course, I pick up some dirt for the A. I. to poke at while I check out the Buggy and enjoy the fresh clean air. Ha! Little joke there - the air is deadly no matter where we go.

xIrNXk9.png

Now to try to navigate the passage. If I can get beyond the mountains I bet I could get the folks at KSC to allow me to continue. To explore in the name of the Confederation and all that jazz.

Wish me well!

Waypoint Six

HZT0x8k.png

Just one thing before I continue with my report. I transmitted again during this leg of the journey and the battery easily handled both sending off the data and keeping the Buggy going. The power system is overkill and I love it.

BGcnRPP.png

Location 8 12' 24" North, 77 07' 25' West is grasslands again. 427 meters above the sea level and, of course, I took a soil sample. Took us about an hour to get here. After walking about a tad I returned to the cabin to have a pink food sphere. A tad spicy for my tastes but what can you do?

86Q82PP.png

I figured that Kerbol was low enough in the western sky to call it a day. We're just under a 100 kilometers away from the Center.

Where to go now?

To:

B. V. Kerman

Director of KSC

Jebediah Kerman

Senior Pilot of Kerbal space Center

Subject:

You kidding me?

You gave me a desk job? A DESK JOB? You have me reviewing reports from some scientist driving about in some Buggy for Section 9? You have got to be kidding!

I spent seven years in space! I am due back up vacation - almost a year of it! I should be back in the Capital, drinking, partying, and bragging! And you have me in front of a voice-speak, reading reports to the audio archives. And the rest of the time I am filing data from the R&D Department about their darn Duna projects! I don't even understand half the terms they use and they haven't even launched a probe yet!

Then there is all this security! I can't even run around with a lampshade on my head without being tackled, pepper sprayed, and tossed into the drunk tank. I can’t even go out joy riding because of those Confederation soldiers won’t let me near their armored cars.

This is some kind of punishment, isn’t it?

signed,

I hate DESK JOBS!

“Jebâ€Â

Letters - Delivery Nine

Memory File - 1001010101

Generated By A. I. Unit 0110010 - Known As Hal

55wDPUc.png

I am the A. I. unit of the first Robotic Tug to be sent to Duna. I carry five other A. I. units attached to tiny landing probes. They are untested. My design has been tested in the computers, again and again. But this is the first real craft I will be piloting.

The night is spent checking and rechecking my systems. The plan is simple.

I will go up to 200 kilometers and be shut down. When the window for Duna is available I will be turned back on and sent on my way.

TQIAtv2.png

The time has come for me - I launch with my special payload.

D0Cou8i.png

snQT4ec.png

Slight above 7,000 meters I do my gravity turn. I check my systems - I believe the creators have given me more fuel then I need for getting into orbit. It will be useful later on.

I start to coast to the point where I will carry out the circularization burn.

7s5dkrx.png

By T plus 16 minutes and 37 seconds I am in a stable orbit at 200 kilometers. A perfect parking orbit - nothing Kerbal made orbits this high.

KEIjiF5.png

I will now be turned off. I ponder if I will dream.

To:

All KSC staff

B. V. Kerman

Director of KSC

Subject:

Minmus Station

Okay folks - I am getting a lot of ideas and designs from you all, but I need to make something clear.

This isn't going to be one of those Science Stations like we've built before.

The "C. J. Cherryh" was built to test out new devices such as life support.

The "Lisanne Norman" was built to try out a totally new core design.

We don't have the funding we had when those cores were launched.

I want this station to be designed for industrial work. No science stuff on it. Not saying we are going to neglect science - we can always land a few probes or manned missions once the station is up. BUT we need to worry about mass and fuel.

So I am thinking small. No, I am thinking TINY. I want TINY. We can always add Fuel Trailers and other equipment later. Docking ports are cheap. Massive unnecessary Hitchhikers and Science Labs are OUT.

Got it? Good.

8X6sPdG.png

Also, the Orbital Tug, named "David Brin", was launched about a week ago. There were no problem with its staging. Everything went perfect.

8pM4jHf.png

mcVjzZH.png

lOADotC.png

P9O9Iz7.png

It picked up one of the Fuel Trailers, number three, and docked with the "Cherryh" today.

AhVsilB.png

Ve9kgE3.png

It did so unmanned because we are trying NOT to overwhelm the station's life support systems. The A. I. units, named by Section 9 "Fred" and "Ethel", handled it without a problem.

And let's think of a few things to add to the To-Do List, right? Get the public excited about space again.

Oh, and the station will need more RCS and snacks. So we need to send a supply ship up soon.

signed,

THINK CHEAP!

B. V. Kerman

Letters - Delivery Ten

To:

Bob and Bill Kerman

Senior Staff of the "ISS Cherryh"

Jebediah Kerman

Senior Pilot of Kerbal space Center

Subject:

LMAO!

Hey guys!

How you doing? I'm doing okay. Sure, the desk job sucks but I get all the dough nuts I can eat and gallons of hot coffee to go with it.

Did you hear the new catchphrase from the Powers That Be? Think cheap? Well, I've sent the Director a new design for our next station core.

HyRzlju.png

Look at it! HAHAHAHA! He'll blow a fuse once he sees that!

So, Bob, still have those nightmares about ponies? And Bill, still complaining about the green food triangles tasting too much like mint? I don't know - no matter what the shape they all taste the same to me.

Well, I hope they bring you down soon. Yeah, I know you guys LIKE it up there. See yourself as on the frontier of science and big things and blah blah blah. You're both nuts!

signed,

Having another jelly filled dough nut!

"Jeb"

To:

All KSC staff

B. V. Kerman

Director of KSC

Subject:

Our NEW Minmus Station

Folks, we have a winner!

Jebediah Kerman has given us the perfect station core. It is tiny, cheap, and does what is needed. Really, nothing more then a manned core for attaching fuel trailers to. Which is what we need! Empty of fuel it should be a pinch to send to Minmus!

The Public Relationships department were so impressed with his way of thinking they have decided to use it in their new campaign to show the people how effective the space program is becoming. Check out this new poster!

eIm0kIv.png

Isn’t it wonderful? We’ll put them all over. On the side of buses, on buildings, in the bathrooms, on bill boards, in books, give them away free to kids at schools, and put them in every office in the Center. Soon everybody will know how Jeb feels about size. Think small folks! Like Jeb!

signed,

It’s how you use it!

B. V. Kerman

PS - A Space Drink company wants to put that same image on millions of cans! Isn’t it wonderful?

• 1 month later...

Letters - Delivery Eleven

To:

All KSC staff

B. V. Kerman

Director of KSC

Subject:

Solar Event

Well, folks, it has happened. Kerbol has that massive storm we get every few years. But it seems we lucked out. The A. I. units seem to be still working.

BO3SOcw.jpg

But on the other hand the atmosphere has gone haywire. All our equipment suggests a thickening of the layers of air, almost as if the planet is trying to protect what is left of life here on Kerbin, which will cause some problems when traveling through the atmosphere. We have yet to try out the SSTO under these new conditions.

r67jskB.png

Still, we are working on heat shields and other devices to protect our ships. And crew, of course. Crew too.

Also, we have hired a female pilot. So take those showers and splash on the aftershave.

I would also like to report that our research and development guys are putting the finishing touches on a generation of new technology that will allow us to find and exploit new resources.

To space and BEYOND!

signed,

Make sure to put on lots of sun lotion,

B. V. Kerman

(OOC Note : Took me a few tries but it seems the new updated MechJeb 2 works (so far) with KSP 1.0 with some adjusting.)

• 2 weeks later...

Letters - Delivery Twelve

To:

B. V. Kerman

Director of KSC

N. V. Kerman

Section 9

Subject:

SSTO Testing In New Atmosphere

Dude!

As you know we have tested out the old SSTO in the new atmosphere using our number-crunching computers. And found it wanting. It can't handle it, it just can't. It runs out of fuel way too quickly. Nothing left by the time it reaches orbit. Dry as a rocket fuel cocktail.

rQGH2N7.png

But all hope is not lost.

w6iKDEO.png

For the old SSTO will be replaced with a new SSTO! The only problem is that it will be a one passenger craft. Yeah, I didn't think you would like that. Also, we know it will make it to orbit but not if it will be able to land back on planet side. More tests are needed.

I was thinking maybe using it to deliver our first female space gal into orbit and then having it land empty to see if it can without, you know, exploding.

signed,

Let's hope nothing explodes!

N. V. Kerman

Waypoint Nine

n1Gaiyw.png

6dMCJ6T.png

The sun is already down while I type this. This leg of the journey was about an hour long. The folks back at KSC don't seem to care what I do after that display of the sun's might. It was wonderful to watch but also scared me. Still, the equipment works and the A.I. tells me he is doing fine. It only took us about an hour to get here and I took a walk when we arrived.

tqlVSMn.png

The moss or 'grass' outside was knee deep and I had to cut some of it out of the way to get a soil sample. I kind of enjoy the peace out here. I still hear birds ever once and a while. Or at least they sound like birds.

5LxLuYM.png

The Buggy is still holding up well. I can see it being very useful, for example on Duna, when equipped with the proper science devices. I tried one of the orange cubes for dinner tonight. A little too syrupy for me.

• 2 months later...

Letters -Delivery Thirteen-

To:

The People of the Confederation

F.D. Kerman

Subject:

Our Great Loss

My fellow citizens,

It is with great sadness that I announce that, around noon yesterday, we lost contact with the International Space Stations the C.J. Cherryh and the Lisanne Norman. Sensors and surviving orbital droids report no sign of the two stations. It is assumed they were lost, with all hands, when secondary solar flares hit our region of space.

From what we can tell, the flares caused bends in the space-time gravity well, making the stations wobble till they broke up*.

ZC2Y9wD.jpg

Also it had been reported that the flares caused changes in the very nature of the fabric of space. Heat build up will be harder to deal with and our nuclear tug will have to be redesigned to handle such issues.

It is great sorrow that I have to report these events to you. But don't let this make you think our space program is shutting down. No. Nobody said space exploration was easy.

Already we have new designs on the drawing boards. The space station Jeb designed, for example, which is already being assembled will become the new ISS C.J. Cherryh (II) and will become the basic design for all space stations.

I will ask that all of you, from the youngest student to the oldest retiree, respect the moment of silence we will be having tomorrow for the brave crew who lost their lives, till they can be cloned again, to the exploration of space. Those crew members are - Bill Kerman. Hadmal Kerman . Lanemy Kerman. Bob Kerman. Donard Kerman. Munmin Kerman. Enmy Kerman. Chadfrey Kerman. Shellong Kerman.

I would like to inform you also that our Ranger Station on the Mun reports to be active and the Kerman crewing it safe.

Please let us all take a moment to remember the explorers, scouts, and brave people who push the envelope so that we may thrive in the future and not just exist in the past.

Thank you,

signed with respect,

F. D. Kerman

---------

* Damn you 1.0.4!!!!

Edited by Valley

• 5 months later...

Note:  I plan to continue this story-line soon but my original account can no longer be accessed so I had to create a new one.  Once I get use to the new version of the game I will have a new 'chapter' ready.  Many of the craft will likely have to be redesigned.  Funny enough I was able to put Jeb's new 'cheap' station into orbit without a problem.  So I know some things still work. 

-Letters -Delivery Fourteen-

To:
B. V. Kerman
Director of KSC
N. V. Kerman
Section 9
Subject:
SSTO and Space Planes

Hey!

How's it hanging, bro?  Just a run down about our experiments with the third version of the SSTO.  We tried for a smaller design than the second version but no go.  It still runs out of fuel before reaching orbit.  So we decided to try to dust off some old designs from our files.  You know, jet planes and space planes.  

qrEAlqH.png

Sadly, our computers show only limited success with our designs.  While we did learn some interesting facts, like there seems to be some sweet spots in the higher levels of the atmosphere where certain jet engines become SUPER effective, most of our designs were very hard to control for our little machine dudes.  I would not trust them to live pilots just yet.  

umCvuAp.png

To be honest, while I hate giving up on anything, I fear that SSTO and space planes are a dead end.  They may be useful on other low gravity or no gravity planets but I feel we may have to start thinking about using basic brute force rockets to gets our crew into space, like it or not.

Stay chill, man!

To:
All KSC staff
B. V. Kerman
Director of KSC
Subject:
NEW Space station and new Fuel Trailer designs

Greeting folks,

Just a run down of what is happening up there in the great dark.

tR5aXnE.png

First, Jeb's space station, named C.J. Cherryh II in honor of our first station, is in orbit.  Perfect operation.  Even have the last stage and the A.I. unit still attached for now.  There seems to be some ideas about using the booster for future missions - maybe pushing the station into a higher orbit or even maybe placing it in orbit around the  Mun.  Who knows?  There is a debate about making all final stages attached with docking ports and, therefore, being about to move them about as portable boosters for cargo in space.  

We have found out, via computer tests, that our Space Tugs can still get into orbit and we plan to test this out soon, by placing a 1-Crew Tug into space soon.

m0AEmnF.png

Also, our newly designed Fuel Trailer is now in orbit.  Unlike the old ones it now has TWO Senior Docking ports.  This means we have two trailers in orbit, one new and one old, so we will want to collect the fuel as soon as possible for future use.  

pFKKal2.jpg

Also, we have reports that some of the local life forms, known as birds, have been seen by security.  They seem harmless enough but please keep in mind that they are an unknown factor.  Please make sure to secure all airlocks, access panels, and don't approach them.  Somebody may wish to tell Matbo Karmen about this.

And, no, Jeb, I am not handing out weapons.

signed,

Make sure not to feed the birds,

B. V. Kerman 

-Letters -Delivery Fifteen-

To:
B. V. Kerman
Director of KSC
Bill Kerman
Senior Engineer
Subject:
1-Crew Tug and NEW Station

CQKVAbJ.png
Cjri2uE.png

The 1-Crew Tug, (AKA the Orbital Tug ) named the Pride, worked like a dream in the first stages of operation.  No problems getting her into orbit.  The A.I. Units, named "Ted" and "Bill" were able to handle it well, though they did complain about it being sluggish when attached to Fuel Trailer Five.

gtqyU0X.png

The heat sinks worked like a charm.  And may I say the "Skipper" engine on the last stage is a very useful engine when working in orbit.  May I suggest any future orbital buses or people movers use this engine?  The LV-N "Nerv" Atomic Rocket Motors are good for inter-orbital travel between planets or to the moons, but the RE-15 seemed great for getting the job done in short, powerful, spurts of power.  Just the thing needed to moving between fast moving stations.

Course, we only have one station right now.  But, let me continue with my report.

ibBkx2T.png

By T+ 1 Day, 1 hour, 12 minutes, and 8 seconds, I had docked with Fuel Trailer Four, head first, and drained it of all its fuel.  

gooo2BE.png
2qeG4l0.png

The ISS C.J. Cherryh, the Second, was only about 15 minutes away.  Once again, I can't praise the "Skipper" enough.  Then we had a problem.  I had to drain and release my own booster, because it was causing wobble.  This is the flaw of using regular docking ports, or any ports, extended from the hull of a ship or station.  

Once I undocked from the station if took me another five hours to find and attach to Fuel Trailer Five.  I did something stupid - I attached to the wrong end.  Which is why the A.I. Units were complaining.  

hU5JBp3.png
OrCTIdv.png

Still, we got back to the station in less then 11 minutes, which wasn't that bad.  Unless my clocks are all screwed up.  

Szk3Q8v.png

But then we had wobble again and I had to drain the station's A.I. controlled booster and let it go.  Still, now we have all that extra fuel in station.  

7CJnvyu.png

After using the trans-matter cushion to get onboard I checked out the view.  It sucks.  And the food tastes like mint.  Anyway, I would suggest all future missions remember to dock spacecraft on the "South End" of the station and Fuel Trailers use the "North End".  Also they want to be aware to which end they attach to when towing Fuel Trailers.

c1UeeTd.png

May I suggest they work on Jeb's station design?  Wobble is what killed all those brave people - including me.  At least according to my own files.  Okay?  Good.

signed,

Safety is Number One,

Bill Kerman

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.