How to make planets with KopernicusTech

sdj64

So, apparently in:

PlanetTutLargeMoon

The "Planet" part is actually something that is an identifier to Kittopia, NOT part of the name you gave the example planet. So whatever you name the planet has to be Planet[Planetname] not just [Planetname] in the Kittopia file...

thanks for this! this is what was going wrong for me.

now everything is working out pretty well. however, the surface of my planet has a somewhat shiny, icy appearance to it, that i do not want. (compare eeloo to tylo). does anyone know what causes this and how to fix it? i assume it's something to do with the normal map...

So I've tried switching the heightmap over to a 16bit/channel file & then re-blurring it to add extra transitions to the elevation, and while it did change the pattern of the height steps (now they look like this http://i.imgur.com/16qSPfX.jpg ), it didn't fix them, so it appears either Kerbal can't properly utilize a 16bit/channel heightmap, or I need to do something else to implement it properly, because I'm still not able to solve either of the problem I listed here: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/112443-How-to-make-planets-with-KopernicusTech?p=1776610&viewfull=1#post1776610

So funny enough, I'm actually finding (after going all the way up to a 8192x4096 16bit heightmap) that lowering the resolution of the heightmap helps KSP do a better job of smoothing the bumps on it's own. I'm actually down to 1024x512 now, and even contemplating trying a 512x256 map, and then just using KSP's random terrain features to fill back in more sharp detail. (Plus it's much smaller than the 100MB 8k 16bit heightmap I had)

Another weird one, so even though everywhere I can find has ocean set to false, my atmospheric planet is still rendering an ocean, and tips for for what may be causing it? (at the moment I've offset the heightmap to hide it, but that is rather hacky, not to mention drawing the ocean is one of the more intensive parts of planet rendering)

Edited by Yargnit

So here's what I've got so far:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

I think you can see what I'm going for here. Basically a huge asteroid passed extremely close by the planet and gouged a huge crater out of it almost all the way around it's equator, losing enough velocity in the process to get captured into an extremely low orbit. Where I'm stuck currently is trying to get a scaled space for the planet that doesn't look like crap. The problem is kittopia won't generate one correctly because of the huge elevation changes, it ends up looking like this: http://i.imgur.com/HZrGoe4.png (The one currently being used if from the normal map website, which as you can see isnt great either) Also I'm not correctly turning the atmosphere shaders down, as you can see in the picture with the moon overhead. I'd like just a very low yellowish brown haze tint that stays down under 28km max. And when flying close to the asteroid moon, but still in the planets SOI, parts of the moons texture pop out of visibility. Water is still being drawn under the surface of the planet also, even though everyone I've found I've got it set to be turned off.

My goal is basically to make a system that was completely trashed by this asteroid impact. I actually plan to put a 2nd smaller asteroid chunk orbiting just off of that one, like the asteroid split from the impact. And then the planets origional moon will be in a highly eccentric orbit from being thrown there by the gravity of the asteroid passing by.

Added tutorial for a gas giant planet to the OP.

Yargnit, make sure that your SOIs aren't messed up. For such a close orbit, your asteroid's SOI will be very small and it may extend within the atmosphere of the big planet, which would... actually, I have no idea what that would do.

You could try adding some noise to your heightmap in your image editor after you blurred it, or turning up the deformity in the noise PQS mods. For the scaled space, somewhere in the KT development thread someone said how to change the normal map height, but I can't find it right now.

Added tutorial for a gas giant planet to the OP.

Yargnit, make sure that your SOIs aren't messed up. For such a close orbit, your asteroid's SOI will be very small and it may extend within the atmosphere of the big planet, which would... actually, I have no idea what that would do.

You could try adding some noise to your heightmap in your image editor after you blurred it, or turning up the deformity in the noise PQS mods. For the scaled space, somewhere in the KT development thread someone said how to change the normal map height, but I can't find it right now.

Hmm, I just read through every post in the thread, and I didn't see it either. What about any other way to generate it?

The asteroid is clear of the atmosphere by a fair margin. The issue is just the shader for the atmosphere being much taller than the actual atmosphere. (Atmo ends at 28km, the asteroid is in 100km orbit with a 40km radius)

So here's what I've got so far:

http://imgur.com/a/r3FZY

I think you can see what I'm going for here. Basically a huge asteroid passed extremely close by the planet and gouged a huge crater out of it almost all the way around it's equator, losing enough velocity in the process to get captured into an extremely low orbit. Where I'm stuck currently is trying to get a scaled space for the planet that doesn't look like crap. The problem is kittopia won't generate one correctly because of the huge elevation changes, it ends up looking like this: http://i.imgur.com/HZrGoe4.png (The one currently being used if from the normal map website, which as you can see isnt great either) Also I'm not correctly turning the atmosphere shaders down, as you can see in the picture with the moon overhead. I'd like just a very low yellowish brown haze tint that stays down under 28km max. And when flying close to the asteroid moon, but still in the planets SOI, parts of the moons texture pop out of visibility. Water is still being drawn under the surface of the planet also, even though everyone I've found I've got it set to be turned off.

My goal is basically to make a system that was completely trashed by this asteroid impact. I actually plan to put a 2nd smaller asteroid chunk orbiting just off of that one, like the asteroid split from the impact. And then the planets origional moon will be in a highly eccentric orbit from being thrown there by the gravity of the asteroid passing by.

O.O

I must visit that. Even if it's ridiculous.

O.O

I must visit that. Even if it's ridiculous.

It's actually a ton of fun landing at already because of the crazy orbital quirks, and it's still missing at least 2 bodies, and in a placeholder orbit. Now if only I could make it look better.

I want to make a Rouge Gas Giant that got captured in Kerbols SOI after passing to close to Kerbol and burnt off allot of gas, mostly due to how cold it was from traveling in interstellar space. I want its orbit to somewhere between Dres and Duna, but I'm afraid that it'll mess up the SOI of the other two planets when trying to go to them, but I also don't want to have to put it really far out that it'll be endgame. I want it to be a Midgame Gas Giant, but its orbit needs to be highly inclined, and very eccentric. I'm wondering where I should put the Semi-major axis, and if there are any other things that will effect how it's orbit appears?

You can look up Dres and Duna's semi major axis on the wiki. All of the orbital parameters are in the Kopernicus config. As long as it is about halfway between them the SOIs won't intersect.

Hello,

I have major problems with this...how long does this take? Do I have to do this with every planet/moon or will it do them all at once? I hit export as well...tried it on stock planets...game just hangs for several minutes so I give up...

Anything over 3-4 minutes might be a waste of time for me...I have no other mods loaded but stock and Kittopia...I am also noting that the Kittopia is now shown as a v12 of Kopernicus Tech; wouldnt this be misleading? This free licensing bizness has me wound up; if it was called Kittopia in the first place even tho it is updated or modded later I think it should still be called Kittopia; this makes it look like only ONE MOD can use it and that was definitely not the original MOD's intention; just how I feel about it whether it is misunderstanding or not. You could have just updated the version...

Now I am seeing versions of Kopernicus pop up now Kittopia; I think it's a mess and it has taken me literally almost a week day and night to get things to work due to compatibility issues with everything.

PS I am lookin at SE...and I probly should have talked about this in KT thread...

Cmdr Zeta

Hello,

I have major problems with this...how long does this take? Do I have to do this with every planet/moon or will it do them all at once? I hit export as well...tried it on stock planets...game just hangs for several minutes so I give up...

Anything over 3-4 minutes might be a waste of time for me...I have no other mods loaded but stock and Kittopia...I am also noting that the Kittopia is now shown as a v12 of Kopernicus Tech; wouldnt this be misleading? This free licensing bizness has me wound up; if it was called Kittopia in the first place even tho it is updated or modded later I think it should still be called Kittopia; this makes it look like only ONE MOD can use it and that was definitely not the original MOD's intention; just how I feel about it whether it is misunderstanding or not. You could have just updated the version...

Now I am seeing versions of Kopernicus pop up now Kittopia; I think it's a mess and it has taken me literally almost a week day and night to get things to work due to compatibility issues with everything.

PS I am lookin at SE...and I probly should have talked about this in KT thread...

Cmdr Zeta

If anything over 3-4 minutes is a waste of time for you, then planet modding is probably not your best project to take on. It takes some fiddling to get it right. If your game is running near the memory limit it may hang since exporting uses more memory. You say you don't have any other mods installed but do you have any other planet packs loaded in KT? If you're having trouble, try some memory reduction tricks like ATM or OpenGL.

KopernicusTech's version of Kittopia was modified to be more compatible with Kopernicus, so I wouldn't blame Gravitasi by putting his mod's name there, especially since as far as I know, KCreator doesn't have any issues with it. Also it's okay with the terms of Kittopia's license.

You should use the latest official KopernicusTech version that's on the OP of its thread. Now, Thomas P. has been looking at the code and trying to fix things (mostly stars) but these aren't in the official version yet so don't worry about them now.

Hi,

Thanks for the tips...honeslty I dont mind waiting for things to happen...maybe I can try it on lunch break tomorrow; I was looking for what the scaled bin or height files; I dont even know what scaledupdater does; I read the post; somthing about those height files; it is a tad complicated I could sort it out later if I needed to go that far; I guess if the planets show up more or less correctly on landing regardless of how they look in map mode I can probly live with it; it could be distance things; some really big moons dont show up details til you get really close to them which is by design; part of my slow learning process...but I have to balance research time with getting back into the game time; I have spent a week workin on this Kerbol system which is okay; which includes learning how the mods work basically and Kittopia; I can call it that lol cause well it will always be Kittopia to me; old dogs like me dont like to learn new tricks...half the time...

Cmdr Zeta

• 2 weeks later...
Could you post your Kopernicus and Kittopia configs? Really anything can cause problems in KT.

Kopernicus:

@Kopernicus

{

Body

{

name = Donia

flightGlobalsIndex = 1235

Template

{

name = Tylo

}

Properties

{

description = Donia was the first moon of Eve to be discovered by the Kerbal Scientists. It is also the closest moon, but just only slightly beyond Gillys periapps. Gilly would be technicly closer, but its apoapps is outside this moons orbit.

radius = 100000

geeASL = 0.02

ScienceValues

{

landedDataValue = 70

inSpaceLowDataValue = 30

inSpaceHighDataValue = 30

recoveryValue = 9

spaceAltitudeThreshold = 750000

}

}

Orbit

{

referenceBody = Eve

color = 1,1,1,1

inclination = 0.3

eccentricity = 0.05

semiMajorAxis = 30700000 //this is the Mun's SMA

longitudeOfAscendingNode = 60

argumentOfPeriapsis = 25

meanAnomalyAtEpoch = 0

epoch = 0

}

ScaledVersion

{

Material

{

texture = Eve+/Textures/Donia_map

normals = Eve+/Textures/Donia_normal

}

}

}

Body

{

name = Rarus

flightGlobalsIndex = 1236

Template

{

name = Gilly

}

Properties

{

description = A small, twin moon to Gilly. Weirdly circular orbit, compared to Gilly.

radius = 20000

geeASL = 0.04

tidallyLocked = True

ScienceValues

{

landedDataValue = 40

inSpaceLowDataValue = 50

inSpaceHighDataValue = 20

recoveryValue = 10

spaceAltitudeThreshold = 200000

}

}

Orbit

{

referenceBody = Eve

color = 0.9,0.8,0.7,1

inclination = 20

eccentricity = 0.1

semiMajorAxis = 60700000 //this is about twice Bop's SMA.

longitudeOfAscendingNode = 55

argumentOfPeriapsis = 0

meanAnomalyAtEpoch = 0

epoch = 0

}

ScaledVersion

{

Material

{

texture = Eve+/Textures/Rarus_map

normals = Eve+/Textures/Rarus_normal

}

}

}

}

Kittopia 1:

Donia

{

AdditionalData

{

Stock = False

AddAtmoFx = False

AddOceanFx = False

OceanLoadTextures = False

UnlitOcean = False

ModScaledAtmoShader = False

AddRings = False

AddParticles = False

DisableOrbitRenderer = False

}

PQS

{

PQSMod_HeightColorMap

{

modEnabled = False

}

PQSCity

{

modEnabled = False

}

PQSMod_VertexHeightMap

{

heightMap = GameData/Eve+/Textures/Donia_height.png

heightMapDeformity = 2500

heightMapOffset = 0

scaleDeformityByRadius = False

}

PQSMod_VertexColorMap

{

modEnabled = true

vertexColorMap = GameData/YourPlanetPack/Textures/Donia_map.png

}

PQSMod_VertexSimplexHeight

{

seed = 79647

deformity = 300

octaves = 8

persistence = 0.5

frequency = 12

}

PQSMod_VertexSimplexHeightAbsolute

{

seed = 637926

deformity = 100

octaves = 3

persistence = 0.5

frequency = 0.8

}

PQSMod_VertexSimplexHeightMap

{

modEnabled = False

}

PQSMod_VertexHeightNoiseVertHeight

{

modEnabled = False

}

}

}

Kittopia 2:

Rarus

{

AdditionalData

{

Stock = False

AddAtmoFx = False

AddOceanFx = False

OceanLoadTextures = False

UnlitOcean = False

ModScaledAtmoShader = False

AddRings = False

AddParticles = False

DisableOrbitRenderer = False

}

CelestialBody

{

sphereOfInfluence = 500000 //some small bodies will have too small of an SOI. Change if you need to. Won't take effect in game unless you reload the KT config

}

PQS

{

PQSMod_VertexSimplexHeightAbsolute

{

seed = 24389752

deformity = 10000

octaves = 6

persistence = 0.4

frequency = 1.0

modEnabled = True

}

PQSMod_VertexHeightNoise

{

seed = 23510750

deformity = 500

frequency = 4

lacunarity = 2.5

persistance = 1.0

octaves = 6

modEnabled = True

}

PQSMod_VertexSimplexNoiseColor

{

seed = 0175123

blend = 1

colorStart = RGBA(0.30, 0.30, 0.30, 1.000)

colorEnd = RGBA(0.60, 0.60, 0.60, 1.000)

octaves = 7

persistence = 0.5

frequency = 1

modEnabled = True

}

}

}

- - - Updated - - -

Btw, I have to sleep, so sorry if I am late at replying.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.