KSP 10th most liked game on Steam

Duckytrask

And yet people keep saying it will get murdered in the reviews when 1.0 arrives... I don't get that at all.

The problem with 1.0 is that KSP will no longer be in early access. That said, there's not much space for improvements left. It won't probably affect steam reviews, since KSP will be still a damn good game, but professional reviewers could (I'm not saying they will, but there is that possibility) roast KSP on open fire if there's one too many bugs.

The problem with 1.0 is that KSP will no longer be in early access. That said, there's not much space for improvements left. It won't probably affect steam reviews, since KSP will be still a damn good game, but professional reviewers could (I'm not saying they will, but there is that possibility) roast KSP on open fire if there's one too many bugs.

I know, but I believe a lot of the reviews it gets aren't because it's EA, but because it is already a damn enjoyable game. If you look at 'professional reviewers' opinions quite some of them are already saying the game would be fine as-is. You have to take into account that the general public isn't going to do the stuff most of the fanatics here on the forum are doing. Of course the bugs are going to be an important thing to watch though.

That said, there's not much space for improvements left.

Looking at games like Payday 2 that are now on patchlevel 60 or something, i can't agree on that :)

KSP is one of those games that professional reviewers have a problem with because they have no

chance ever discovering what the game is about.

They need to put hours over hours in to just get to Mün.

Usually professional reviewers stay the hell away from such games.

It's not like there aren't thousands other games to review.

I feel like a reason it is so successful is because anyone can play it.

If you want you can try to build a multi-stage rocket and head to eve and back,

Or if space maths, delta-v's aren't your thing you can try to destroy every building at the space center with one rocket

Or if you really wanted to, build a rover and attempt to drive across Kerbin

I know, but I believe a lot of the reviews it gets aren't because it's EA, but because it is already a damn enjoyable game.

Since when is KSP an EA game? That's one of the reasons it has so many good reviews! :P

In case you're not joking, EA = Early Access, not Electronic Arts.

I thought it said EA the company too, actually. :D

Anyways, quite surprising to see how loved KSP is! Don't get me wrong, I know KSP is really up there in the charts...but 10th?! Nice job Squad!

I thought it said EA the company too, actually. :D

Anyways, quite surprising to see how loved KSP is! Don't get me wrong, I know KSP is really up there in the charts...but 10th?! Nice job Squad!

Sorry, the company EA is so far out of my mind that I didn't even think of the possible confusion. :P

The problem with some of the current bugs are that they happen in the phase of the game that reviewers might actually play, like the bug where radial boosters rotate inwards upon decoupling, destroying your core. I imagine that one will be fixed in 1.0, but I worry about that bug and others like it because it managed to persist from .24.2, to .25, and on to .90. If such a basic bug can persist through 3 versions, it's hard to be totally confident that others won't sneak through the testing process for the 1.0 release. Bugs that happen on the margins are easier to ignore. Even if there are some bugs (which is unavoidable), as long as they don't affect basic gameplay, the game should be spared by reviewers.

And yet people keep saying it will get murdered in the reviews when 1.0 arrives... I don't get that at all.

Pfft, Game of the Year Contender if you ask me. (Which nobody ever does)

Next goal - get it into the Top 10 Most Played. >:3

The only problem with that is many of us don't run it through Steam simply because we have multiple modded versions.

As many complaints about bugs, KSP really isn't all that buggy, especially compared to other early access games and, heck, even compared to gold release games. Sure, it has it's fair share of bugs, and I'm sure they'd (and we'd!) like to get them cleaned up, but I think people would be a little less hair-on-fire about bugs. Bugs happen. They're in every game. What matters is how many there are and how bad they are. Sure, we have the hell craken. It's not like other gold games don't also have errors that freeze the game too. Would it be great if it were fixed? Sure. Will it doom the game? no.

- - - Updated - - -

Pfft, Game of the Year Contender if you ask me. (Which nobody ever does)

The only problem with that is many of us don't run it through Steam simply because we have multiple modded versions.

Yeah, I'm in the 300 hours in steam, but I probably have 1000+ hours played OUTSIDE steam.

In case you're not joking, EA = Early Access, not Electronic Arts.

According to ISO 99361:5, "Acceptable Use of Acronyms Online", in the context of computer games, or computer gaming, or computer gaming reviews, or computer game programming companies, or computer game publishing companies, or big bloated AAA crapware houses that destroy game franchises (pretty much anything having to do with computer gaming), "EA" is unequivocally "Electronic Arts" (doubly so in that last category). In said categories, it overrides and takes priority over any other abbreviation or acronym or intended use.

(joking aside, in any sort of 'gaming' context, 'EA' really should refer to The Great Evil Which Is Electronic Arts. These guys are to quality and progress as a bucket of water is to a campfire. Besides, they would probably sue if they figured out anybody was using the letters 'EA' to refer to something other than them..)

That's what I do. Well, plus I typically use my KSP store copy, because it's even less irritating than the Steam version (which is still fairly good install-wise).

I only put a few hours in on the Steam version when a new release comes out, as this multiplay.co.uk thing that the store is based on generally falls over at that time, whereas for Steam, a KSP release is a non-event (aside from us spamming the database, but that's probably because they have too many tables joined together or some crap).

I run multiple modded versions through steam all the time. The only downside I've ever found is that you only get the news and forum buttons on your main install.

I wouldnt be surprised if the "Professional reviewers" end up being alot more harsh than the steam reviewers. Steam reviewers are folks that actually play the game and enjoy the type of game and leave positive reviews. Those that don't like this type of game either never buy it or are just ambivalent about it when they try it and decide it isnt right for them, often not careing enough to leave a review either way.

Pro reviewers on the other hand are being payed to review the game. They have to post a review weither they like this type of game or not and are much more likely to blast any faults they find if they dont like the game for any reason. Add that to the learning cliff and limited time for the reviewer to overcome that and you have a recipe for negative "Professional reviews." Seeing as how squad is not a huge company and is not likely to be buying positive reviews like some other companies do... well lets just say I wont be surprised by a mirror image of the review bias we often see on high budget titles such as EA games that get 9's and 10's from places like IGN but 3-4's from players. KSP will probably get rave reviews from players and luke warm from the pros.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.