[WIP][0.90] Karbon Fiber: Version 0.5

Nycidian

qtQOhc9.png

[TABLE=width: 400, align: center]

[TR]

[TD]

Important!

Due to changing file structure, for now you must delete the old KarbonFiber folder before installing a new version.

[TABLE=class: cms_table, width: 400, align: center]

[TR]

[TD=width: 100, align: center]License[/TD]

[TD=width: 100, align: center]

Download

[/TD]

[TD=width: 100, align: center]Source[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Bundled Mods

[TABLE=width: 400]

[TR]

[TD]ctt_small.png[/TD]

[TD][TABLE=width: 300, align: center]

[TR]

[TD=align: left]Tech Manager[/TD]

[TD=align: left]anonish[/TD]

[TD=align: right]MIT[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=align: left]Community Tech Tree[/TD]

[TD=align: left]Nertea[/TD]

[TD=align: right]CC-A-NC[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=align: left]Module Manager[/TD]

[TD=align: left]Ialdabaoth | sarbian[/TD]

[TD=align: right]CC SA [/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=align: left]NearFutureSolar (Plugin)[/TD]

[TD=align: left]Nertea[/TD]

[TD=align: right]CC NCS[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Supported Mods

[TABLE=width: 200, align: center]

[TR]

[TD]Remote Tech[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Near Future Propulsion[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

What is it?

Karbon Fiber started out as a project due to my personal frustration with making smaller satellites. What I wanted to make were structural pieces that were much smaller than those I had, along the way some other ideas came to me as well. At the moment the plan is to make a full set of modular structural pieces as well as some specific sized non structural pieces that look similar and will fit together with the structural pieces. The base building blocks are in the following table.

[TABLE=width: 500, align: center]

[TR]

[TD]Name[/TD]

[TD=align: center]Nodes (T/S/B)[/TD]

[TD=align: center]~Height[/TD]

[TD=align: center]~Diameter[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Karbon Fiber Hex Strut[/TD]

[TD=align: center]1 / 0 / 1[/TD]

[TD=align: center]93.75 cm[/TD]

[TD=align: center]31.25 cm[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]DuoTetraHedron[/TD]

[TD=align: center]4 / 0 / 4[/TD]

[TD=align: center]58.75 cm[/TD]

[TD=align: center]58.75 cm[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]TetraHedral[/TD]

[TD=align: center]3 / 0 / 1[/TD]

[TD=align: center]37.25 cm[/TD]

[TD=align: center]37.25 cm[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Bihedral[/TD]

[TD=align: center]1 / * / 1[/TD]

[TD=align: center]39 cm[/TD]

[TD=align: center]31.25 cm[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

As I am trying to stay semi-realistic I needed a material that was very light but strong and that material is Karbon (Carbon) Fiber. From what I understand carbon fiber depending on how it is made can do some amazing things ending up being stronger and lighter than other materials however the cost is much greater in most cases. however one of the weaknesses is that when used in a manner that it is not designed for carbon fiber often fails easily and spectacularly. That in mind, these pieces are smaller, lighter and much stronger than similar structural pieces. However the cost is much higher and the crash tolerance is very low.

[TABLE=width: 500, align: center]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD=align: center]Cost[/TD]

[TD=align: center]Mass[/TD]

[TD=align: center]Max Temp[/TD]

[TD=align: center]Crash Tolerance[/TD]

[TD=align: center]breaking Force[/TD]

[TD=align: center]breaking Torque[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Modular Girder Segment XL[/TD]

[TD=align: center]25[/TD]

[TD=align: center]0.375[/TD]

[TD=align: center]5000[/TD]

[TD=align: center]80.0 m/s[/TD]

[TD=align: center]200[/TD]

[TD=align: center]200[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Karbon Fiber Hex Strut[/TD]

[TD=align: center]2000[/TD]

[TD=align: center]0.035[/TD]

[TD=align: center]???[/TD]

[TD=align: center]3.0 m/s[/TD]

[TD=align: center]400[/TD]

[TD=align: center]600[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Unique Shape

At some point when I was messing around with model shapes I decided to try making a tetrahedron (why I do not remember) this snowballed into the DuoTetrahedron, taking me many hours to get the alignment right for the point directions that would become the nodes. After which, I remembered that this shape is actually very simple to get simply by propping a cube up on a corner and making an axis from each opposing corner :confused:.

But all was not lost in this process as I got some very interesting regular geometric shapes that align perfectly with my hex struts in the tetrahedral axes. Hence the names don't refer to the shapes but the axes that their nodes face.

Other Features

Besides purely structural pieces I plan on making other parts within the confines of these four shapes.

• [*=left]Fuel Tanks for the fuels used for low thrust engines
    [*=left]Ion and monopropelant engines.
    [*=left]Low thrust RCS
    [*=left]Expanding sat dish
    [*=left]Omni-direction antenna
    [*=left]Expanding Tracking Solar Panel
    [*=left]Probe Core
    [*=left]
Flywheel batteries / SAS / Reaction wheel Combination

As well as the above I will be making adapters that go from the stock larger sizes to this size and possibly in the future and even further smaller parts.

In the future I want to have the Inertial batteries reaction wheel force to be based off of their current charge but this will require me learning a bit about coding in c#/unity.

I welcome feedback and ideas on the project please post in this thread if you have any.

Edited by Nycidian

I'm loving that antenna... even considering I never use those, it's still a awesome thing to behold. Who knows, I could probably stick a scanner module on the part and use it for that. The DuoTetrahedron is just.... weird.... really weird....

Trying really hard not to freak out right now. I've been wanting microsats for quite a while now, but all the available projects focusing on such seem to be...... Dead....

Well no promises but depending on complexity of the piece i'm hoping to get out at least 1-2 pieces a week, with quite a bit of variety.

These parts look phenomenal!

One thing though, could you see if you could make the node size any smaller, the parts seem difficult to attach correctly right now.

Also maybe it would be best if the parts were just surface attachable, that would allow for symmetry in the build and more flexible designs.

Anyways great looking mod!

Mod is updated

jKGzB8L.png

V0.3

• Reworked file structure and parts to save memory
  • Added a Flag
  • Added Fuel Tanks
  • Fixed minor positioning bugs
  • Added cfg that got missed last release
  • Changed how Tetrahedral and Duotetrahedron shapes connect to other pieces, symmetry will now work with them.

Further updates should come a bit quicker I was very sick and had jury duty the last 2 weeks.

Edited by Nycidian

Excellent! Finally someone who feels one material is not enough!

Can I assume you solved the weight/joint elasticity issue? I really want to build small engines instead of pistons with a diameter of 1 meter or more. In standard KSP, the smaller you go, the more the joints become like rubber bands!

By the way, you OP isn't very readable. It's a bit frustrating to have to find the horizontal scrolling bar. Most of the people on the planet don't have access to resolutions higher than 1280x1024.

Edited by Azimech

After much trial and tribulation the next installment is ready

https://github.com/Nycidian/Karbon-Fiber/releases/tag/v0.4

Version 0.4.0

• Reworked File structure a bit more
  • Added agency definition
  • Added decoupler
  • Added ion engine with emisive animation
  • Added support for remote tech for probe cores
  • Made it so hydrogen and argon fuel tanks only appear if near future propulsion is installed
  • Bundled three necessary mods

could you see if you could make the node size any smaller, the parts seem difficult to attach correctly right now.

Also maybe it would be best if the parts were just surface attachable, that would allow for symmetry in the build and more flexible designs.

Anyways great looking mod!

Sorry I should have responded sooner

Thanks for the input I don't know how to make the nodes smaller, there at size 0 now, but I did take your advice on the surface attachment so thanks

Can I assume you solved the weight/joint elasticity issue? I really want to build small engines instead of pistons with a diameter of 1 meter or more. In standard KSP, the smaller you go, the more the joints become like rubber bands!

I did some testing and I set angularDrag to 2 and while it does not completely fix the issue it does seem to stop the effects at normal time rate.

very cool! I presume you are going to eventually make this Remotetech compatible?

It already is

Edited by Nycidian

Just adding an update on the new piece being added based on this technology

[TABLE=width: 500]

[TR]

[TD=width: 256]S36WFTD.gif[/TD]

[TD]A Bihedral Inflating Solar Array

Obviously the materials need some work but I have finished the animation and worked out how to have the energy return be based on how much of the inflated array is being hit by sunlight

Note: The animation is at 1/10th speed, and the viewpoint is retreating so you can see the entire balloon. [/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Edited by Nycidian

• 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.