Flag-planting captions- what do you write?

FlyingPete

Of my 54 current flags, 43 have plaque text. They fall in to a few categories (I left out a few mundane ones):

Comments about the poor flying that got us here:

Here "landed" Bill and Dunfurt.

A swing and a miss!

Fell over, got back up.

Ditched the science rather than deploying the parachute. Oh well.

Forgot the surface sample, came back for it here.

Rolled down the hill. Hope I can take off again up it.

Upright this time!

All we lost on landing was the engine!

What was that on the ground we flew over on our way crashing?

I seem to have knocked the previous flag off the tower with a rather-too-close flyby!

That's the second time this flag has had to be replaced!

Any landing you can walk away from, right?

Comments about the location:

[Greater Flats] It sure is flat!

[Lesser Flats] Boy, it's flat here.

[some other Flats] This looks nice and flat.

[Elsewhere on Minmus] Bit of a slope!

[Munar Lowlands] Pretty low here!

Yes, this really is the Northwest Crater, not the East Crater, Herburry.

First Kerbal in a Highland Crater!

Not quite in the canyon, but close enough for science!

Golly, it's a gully.

Notable occasions:

First airplane landing away from KSC.

Here Dudbald landed after returning from Minmus.

First landing next to another ship.

Here landed Jeb after returning from Minmus and a very lucky in-orbit, high-speed docking.

Bill and Herbury set down here in the Pidgeon; the first kerbals on the Mun.

Meta comments:

This island is not very realistic!

Even less realistic than the last one!

Who put this monolith here?

In memoriam:

In memory of Bob and Samwell. They got out and didn't get back in.

My first "landing" on Tylo left the ship in pieces, and necessitated a rescue mission. Jeb planted a flag, which bore the phrase, "Shaka - When the walls fell." :)

Edited by Voculus
Spelling

I usually just put something silly about dedicating it to my partner, often with a mention of how the mission has been going. I end up being much more concerned with the placement and getting to the right spot than what to put on the plaque once I get there. It ends up not being well-thought-out because of the lack of planning.

My first "landing" on Tylo left the ship on pieces, and necessitated a rescue mission. Jeb planted a flag, which bore the phrase, "Shaka - When the walls fell." :)

Jeb and Bill at Bop! The Kraken at Bop! Jeb, with sails unfurled! ;)

"On second thoughts, let's not go to Duna. 'Tis a silly place" From the cancelled journey of Bobsquad Alpha (Bob, Billy-Bobfrey and Billy-Bobkis). They got halfway through the ejection burn before realizing that they hadn't packed solar panels, and had to perform a prompt U-turn.

Most of my flags tend to be comments on the situation, crew or location. Unfortunately I'm neither imaginative nor funny, so inspirational and humorous quotes are out of the question :P

Sometimes it's something about the place, sometimes (for some interesting projects) it's "<craft name> landing site", sometimes (with survey contracts) it's the name of location, sometimes it's...

... here's the first flag on the Mun in 0.90:

947cdb994c85.png

They broke the engine. I totally blame Jeb.

Usually the planet and biome. Agent if it's for a contract. And maybe a comment. The first flag in every career is always:

"It's one small step for a Kerbal, one giant leap for Kerbalkind" (Incidentally, Neil Armstrong meant to say "One small step for a ​man...")

The first visit to Duna in every career:

"To get above it all, to see a world without smoke, and the only straight line is the sunlight... Yes, it was worth it" (Quote from Doctor Who: The Waters of Mars)

And next time I go to Eeloo:

"Live long and prosper"

I tend to write less and less in the plaque text box these days - can you read it again without landing next to it with another Kerbal? Conversely I write more and more in the title box. At first I used just the planet name and a number for the landing, but now I like to include the biome and altitude.

Flags I assume like many use them for are more for... shrine markers, tombstones.. to honor the fallen.. used when a train comes off worse against physics horribly with the loss of the cab of any one passenger.. my fuel trains are especially explosive being nothing more than fuel tanks on wheels.. from the very early stages a year ago until today..

a flag represents a terminated train.. and the memory of her crew

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.