[1.4.x] TweakScale v2.3.12(Apr-16)

pellinor

2 hours ago, pellinor said:

Doesn't happen for me, and I can not install everyone's huge modlist just to see that most problems are caused by messed up installs (and therefore not reproducible with a clean install of those mods). However there have been changes in the handling of mass, so totally possible that this is a new mod interaction problem.

Could you narrow this down to fewer mods? Also, cutting away the open right click menu in the screenshot is not the best idea, you'd want to show as much information as possible. It could also help if you can say that the problem appeared with a certain version of TweakScale or some other mod.

Since only pods have this issue, I assume it's caused by mods adding functions to pods.

I tried removing StockPlugins and it's working correctly now.

I can confirm that I did have an issues with resized fins, I did remove parts 1-by-1 from the craft and found that whenever I had resized fins attached, my craft would slowly raise even when attached to launch clamps, after a while it was starting to shake uncontrollably and crashed my game a few times. Didn't happen with regular non-resized fins. This was in the previous version thoug.

In the version that came out yesterday (5th of March) I noticed another bug (don't know if it was there before but I noticed it now) I installed MFT again as it says that the compatibility for it was fixed. Whenever i resize a fuel tank or any part that can store fuel with MFT, the dry mass of the parts is calculated incorrectly. It shows the correct dry mass on the right click menu in VAB (thats what MFT displays I believe) but the actual dry mass of the part is different and when parts are scaled down it can go to negative. I tested to see if it is just a bug in displaying the mass incorrectly in the VAB but on the launchpad, a craft with negative mass with slowly start raising and if there is any other part on the craft that has mass, the craft flips around so that part is on the bottom (makes sense since it's heavier). This doesn't happen when I resize a procedural tank so I'm guessing it is an issue with tweak scale calculating dry mass incorrectly.

it doesnt work for me anymore as of 1.1 update , when right click any part in the game and im 100% sure that the parts i have tried to right click was scaleable in 1.0.5 and whenever i see a update(i install mods with CKAN) im just crossing my fingers in hope of it might contain a fix for my problem but HELL NO IT AINT CHANGING THE SMALLEST CRAP.

Edited by Red Iron Crown
Easy with the language, please.

@pellinor  Please remove the following Tweakscale exponent from next version

TWEAKSCALEEXPONENTS:NEEDS[InterstellarFuelSwitch]
{
    name = InterstellarFuelSwitch
    volumeMultiplier = 3
    massMultiplier = 3
}

They are obsolete and not functional for a very long time, I want to clean them up

Edited by FreeThinker

Honestly, i got a funny issue.

I assume it happens because of a conflict with another mod. But i really can´t figure out witch mod at the moment.

Tweakscales somehow changes the atmosphere of Kerbal and the parachute is unable to create a drag. A simple capsule with the starter booster will reach a high of 34-40 km and in free fall a speed of 600 m/s and more. Even 5 chutes won´t break it down, because the atmosphere seems not thick enough to create a drag. At the moment i got it deactivated again.

And yeah, with some cheats i was able to break the speed down to around 100 m/s at 2500 meter to the ground. The chutes did activate, but they simple didnt open. It was more like an extrem slow motion from the chute animation without getting a "Fully deployed" sound at all until it hit the ground with 80 m/s

More then enough time with 5 chutes deployed.

Edited by Ferigad

Would it be possible to enhance Tweakscale so that it not just changes the size of a single part but of a whole craft?

As example you build a satellite and then change its scale from 1.25m to 0.625m to bring it as a whole into orbit.

On 7.5.2016 at 10:50 PM, Alshain said:

Tweakscale is cause a problem with the LY-01 landing gear.  In mirror symmetry the wheel does not attach properly.  It works fine without Tweakscale installed.

Confirmed, thanks for bringing this up.

On 7.5.2016 at 7:20 PM, Ferigad said:

Honestly, i got a funny issue.

I assume it happens because of a conflict with another mod. But i really can´t figure out witch mod at the moment.

Tweakscales somehow changes the atmosphere of Kerbal and the parachute is unable to create a drag. A simple capsule with the starter booster will reach a high of 34-40 km and in free fall a speed of 600 m/s and more. Even 5 chutes won´t break it down, because the atmosphere seems not thick enough to create a drag. At the moment i got it deactivated again.

And yeah, with some cheats i was able to break the speed down to around 100 m/s at 2500 meter to the ground. The chutes did activate, but they simple didnt open. It was more like an extrem slow motion from the chute animation without getting a "Fully deployed" sound at all until it hit the ground with 80 m/s

More then enough time with 5 chutes deployed.

Doesn't happen for me. Can you narrow that down some more?

On 7.5.2016 at 9:18 AM, FreeThinker said:

@pellinor  Please remove the following Tweakscale exponent from next version
They obsolete and not functional for a very long time, I want to clean them up

Done (in the current dev version).

On 6.5.2016 at 7:25 PM, julijan1604 said:

it doesnt work for me anymore as of 1.1 update , when right click any part in the game and im 100% sure that the parts i have tried to right click was scaleable in 1.0.5 and whenever i see a update(i install mods with CKAN) im just crossing my fingers in hope of it might contain a fix for my problem but HELL NO IT AINT CHANGING THE SMALLEST CRAP.

If it works for me and for others this is more than likely a problem on your end. You could try a clean install without CKAN for example.

On 6.5.2016 at 2:38 PM, naidis said:

Since only pods have this issue, I assume it's caused by mods adding functions to pods.

I tried removing StockPlugins and it's working correctly now.

That is a very good start. I had a look into StockPlugins and it is just a set of configs which move part modules around. So likely one of those modules does not like TweakScale (or actively tries to adapt to it and that interaction broke). I'm familiar with KER, kOS, Mechjeb. Do you use any other mod that StockPlugins affects?

Edited by pellinor

29 minutes ago, pellinor said:

Doesn't happen for me. Can you narrow that down some more?

Well, i really would like too. Maybe it was a file corruption. I tried another download of tweakscale, this time from another source and reinstalled KSP. Now it all works again. So i don´t think the issue was with the mod itself... had to been some data corruption or something like that. Works perfect now.

19 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

Did you know this broke all my mods?

The changes in mass handling broke all sorts of interactions. So I needed to change the order of some operations. And I am totally fine with tweaking that order again if it helps. So is this meant as a request for cooperation or blame for something you already fixed?

Edit: by the way those exponents were still in because you once requested them and never cleaned them up.

Edited by pellinor

46 minutes ago, pellinor said:

The changes in mass handling broke all sorts of interactions. So I needed to change the order of some operations. And I am totally fine with tweaking that order again if it helps. So is this meant as a request for cooperation or blame for something you already fixed?

First I notice there is actually a change between the VAB and in flight tweakscaled mass behavior, is this intentional or an oversight?

Second I initially received the correct initial mass, at startup from the part starting mass, which originally was set by Tweakscale, I then used this value to calculate my delta mass. Now this is no longer the case,

edit: about the exponent, it can be removed, the OnRescale method handles mass and volume scaling , it allows me to be more flexible with scaling

Edited by FreeThinker

4 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

First I notice there is actually a change between the VAB and in flight tweakscaled mass behavior, is this intentional or an oversight?

Second I initially received the correct initial mass, at startup from the part starting mass, which originally was set by Tweakscale, I then used this value to calculate my delta mass. Now this is no longer the case,

How did you receive that mass? part.mass should no longer be changed by mods, and TweakScale respects this with the current update. Since mass changes are supposed to happen only via getModuleMass, I now hold a field massScale, and make sure that this field is written before I notifying other modules. My getModuleMass then reports prefab.mass*(massScale-1).

The main difference I am aware of is that parts in the editor come to life OnStart, while scaling in flight needs to happen OnLoad. And that the editor already ignored part.mass and listened to getModuleMass before, while the flight scane changed to that behavior in 1.1. Not sure if that is what you are referring to. In both cases TweakScale is supposed to report the correct mass as soon as it knows that value.

33 minutes ago, pellinor said:

How did you receive that mass? part.mass should no longer be changed by mods, and TweakScale respects this with the current update. Since mass changes are supposed to happen only via getModuleMass, I now hold a field massScale, and make sure that this field is written before I notifying other modules. My getModuleMass then reports prefab.mass*(massScale-1).

The main difference I am aware of is that parts in the editor come to life OnStart, while scaling in flight needs to happen OnLoad. And that the editor already ignored part.mass and listened to getModuleMass before, while the flight scane changed to that behavior in 1.1. Not sure if that is what you are referring to. In both cases TweakScale is supposed to report the correct mass as soon as it knows that value.

I never set the part.mass, I read it out. Before the change, I simply read out  the part.mass to receive the correct mass, now I receive prefab mass, which is useless.

The problem I that I'm missing the scale factor at startup (in flight). If OnRescale would be called at startup while in flight, I would know the scaling factor and I would be able to calculate the correct initial mass.

Otherwise I have to someway store the scaling factor in a field which would be unreliable.

Edit: or are there any other way to get the scaling factor reliably?

Edited by FreeThinker

6 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

I never set the part.mass, I read it out. Before the change, I simply read out  the part.mass to receive the correct mass, now I receive prefab mass, which is useless.

The problem I that I'm missing the scale factor at startup (in flight). If OnRescale would be called at startup while in flight, I would know the scaling factor and I would be able to calculate the correct initial mass.

Otherwise I have to someway store the scaling factor in a field which would be unreliable.

I'm just saying that I used to set part.mass, and the devs clearly stated that this is against the new design of mass handling. In earlier versions the writing access was still in because I didn't clean it up yet. And the value would survive for some undefined amount of time before the game overwrites it with prefab.mass.

In flight, onRescale should be called OnLoad, and with the latest changes massScale is available when that call is done. With massScale and the prefab mass you should have all the mass-related info. This is how FAR does it:
https://github.com/ferram4/Ferram-Aerospace-Research/commit/5f8893b6e5d8e8444ce5679c8a284ca36481fe96

If you explicitly need the scaling factor at some other time, it is equal to (currentScale/defaultScale) (both are kspFields from the TweakScale module). I don't know what 'at startup' means, the hooks I know are OnLoad and OnStart. In flight I need to use the earlier OnLoad trigger because otherwise it would be too late to scale the colliders.

38 minutes ago, pellinor said:

I'm just saying that I used to set part.mass, and the devs clearly stated that this is against the new design of mass handling. In earlier versions the writing access was still in because I didn't clean it up yet. And the value would survive for some undefined amount of time before the game overwrites it with prefab.mass.

Well that call ensured that I got the initial mass, even if it was overridden the next frame. There was a window of opportunity.

39 minutes ago, pellinor said:

In flight, onRescale should be called OnLoad, and with the latest changes massScale is available when that call is done. With massScale and the prefab mass you should have all the mass-related info.

Great, this is what I needed. Thank you

Don't know if this has been reported yet or if this is the right place, but:

Atm tweakscale is causing some weird bugs when used together with Realism Overhaul.

Easiest way to reproduce is to attach an AV-R8 Winglet to a rocket. On the launchpad you'll see it floating and unresponsive, regardless of actually changing the scale of the part itself.

Haven't had any bugs with any other parts tested, but then again I haven't tested that many parts.

Edited by JeeF

3 hours ago, JeeF said:

Don't know if this has been reported yet or if this is the right place, but:

Atm tweakscale is causing some weird bugs when used together with Realism Overhaul.

Easiest way to reproduce is to attach an AV-R8 Winglet to a rocket. On the launchpad you'll see it floating and unresponsive, regardless of actually changing the scale of the part itself.

Haven't had any bugs with any other parts tested, but then again I haven't tested that many parts.

Tweakscale + FAR + winglets = Broken. Lots have stated it here.

21 hours ago, charliepryor said:

Tweakscale + FAR + winglets = Broken. Lots have stated it here.

And to my knowledge it should already be fixed in the current TweakScale version and the dev version of FAR.

On 9.5.2016 at 10:14 PM, FreeThinker said:

Well that call ensured that I got the initial mass, even if it was overridden the next frame. There was a window of opportunity.

Great, this is what I needed. Thank you

You're most welcome.

That window of opportunity was a call for trouble, so I really had to get rid of it. There is already more mass trouble appearing in the vincinity of KIS and kOS, likely also because of conflicts with part.mass (both write it).

On May 7, 2016 at 4:50 PM, Alshain said:

Tweakscale is cause a problem with the LY-01 landing gear.  In mirror symmetry the wheel does not attach properly.  It works fine without Tweakscale installed.mVVlCLi.png

@pellinor

This is still an issue.

I'm having an issue scaling the stock "Big S Delta Wing" part - this is a fairly core part for my spaceplane division, I use them almost exclusively and have since they were introduced back in 0.90 or whenever that was.  Before now, the scaling detentes were 100, 200, 400, and I could drag the slider to get anything in between 100 and 400 inclusive (or smaller, I suppose, but I never wanted/needed that).

In 1.1.2 + Tweakscale, the detentes are 100, 200, and that's it.  However if you click the >> again you get the 400% size, but the slider still says 200% (!).  And there's no way to drag the slider to get values between 200 and 400 - I used to use 250% and 300% a lot, and now that's seemingly unavailable.  I can drag the slider between 100-200, but above 200 it's 400% or nothing.  Is this a bug or did something change in the expected behavior?  I'm assuming that if the slider is maxed at 200% and I can click >> again to get a "secret" scaling value that this is in fact a bug, but .. that's why I'm asking here.  Again the part itself is part of the base KSP distribution.

have an interesting bug with tweakscale...

if i rescale a command part ie pod or probe. the craft starts to climb on the spot:

how to replicate...

root part mk1 cockpit 

place a pod on the node and lower the scale of the pod >>launch >> watch it climb