[1.4.x] TweakScale v2.3.12(Apr-16)

pellinor

It is no secret that my most active days in the community are long past. All I had envisioned for TweakScale is done, and I am merely doing housekeeping these days.

So I'd just like to state that I would be happy to become dispensable in the future. It seems to already work well for the configs, feel free to also dive into the code and add (or fix) things you are missing. There are surely enough known bugs and ideas. Just keep in mind that TweakScale is used in different ways and no one should force his playstyle over everyone else.

@eberkain @Mikeloeven there is a merge conflict for the NFT configs, and you both reordered that file, so I see no simple way of merging this pull request. Maybe one of you still knows what he changed and could check if the other file misses any of those parts? Layout-wise I am fine with either style.

Edited by pellinor

Nerta has made so many parts what I ended up doing is having 3 configs... 

NFT_Tweakscale.cfg covers all the mods that are Near Future

Nerta_Tweakscale.cfg covers Cyro Engines, Cyro Tanks, Heat Control, Kerbal Atomics, Station Parts

MarkIVSystem_Tweakscale.cfg covers the Mk4 spaceplane parts only

I would suggest making another pull request minus the conflicting file that way the other changes can get merged quickly while we are comparing the NFT configs.

edit: Looks like a major difference is that I made entries for each part while eberkain used wildcards in the part names. I didn't know you could do that and if it works his file will be lot smaller and more efficient than what I was doing. though you might want to consider using comment regions to keep support for notepad++'s folding in comments function It really does make it easier to jump to a specific group of parts by collapsing the file.

Edited by Mikeloeven

8 hours ago, Mikeloeven said:

wildcards in the part names

They have their pros and cons. As you say the patches are more efficient, but they may also be less obvious to read (a search for the part name will not find the patch) and might catch parts that were not intended. So I use them with a bit of caution.

@eberkain First off thank you for all the hard work on the tweak scale patching... but unfortunately i have an issue with the SXT mod tweakscale patch in the resent 3.10 update. It pretty much disfigured all the craft that i have SXT on, specifically the tail cones and the hump back radial parts. The tail cones completely disappeared and the hump backs grew in size. Most of these craft were uploaded to Kerbal X so i can imagine what people are seeing with the the 3.10 patch of SXT (broken craft) .. i was forced to revert back to 3.9.1 just so i can fly my craft, if not i would have to rebuild them. If you have time can you please check to see if this can be remedied ..Thank you for you time.  

• 2 weeks later...

Yep. All of the SXT parts I had scaled up on craft have now reverted to their default size while in flight, most spectacularly this Oscar-C fuel tank I had scaled up from 0.625m to 2.5m form factor:

4U0BYJV.png

It is still attached at both ends and also apparently contains 1507/54 LF and 1842/66 OX. The SXT engines and intakes on my monster SSTO have now also shrunk down, dropping a nuke on the craft's acceleration. But @mechanicH the latest version of SXT does fix this, make sure you have it.

Edited by voicey99

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry if I am posting this in the incorrect space. I am having an issue with scaling freethinkers KSPI engines, where the thrust on an upscaled engine reverts back to the original thrust. All the squad engines scale fine, and I've even done a fresh install of ksp and kspi to try an eliminate any mods conflicting. Anyone know how I can fix this?

On starting KSP just into the main menu a bunch of these is already written to the log:

[TweakScale] Exception on writeDryCost: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at PartModuleList.Contains (Int32 classID) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at PartModuleList.Contains (System.String className) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at TweakScale.PrefabDryCostWriter.WriteDryCost () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 42)

Is it "normal" (and so unnecessary log spam) or is it an issue?

The full log:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/jbg6ir14ovfbhdk/2017-05-21-1 KSP.log.zip?dl=1

would it be possible to add "Connected living space" compatibility to this mod?

what I mean is if I scale a stack part the tweak scale code can look at the diameter of the top and bottom nodes and if they are over the minimum, (1m?) then set that node as passible for CLS.

For anyone that is looking for an 1.3 compatible version of Tweakscale, I uploaded IFS which included a recompiled/fixed version of Tweakscale. It can be downloaded from from here

Edited by FreeThinker

Update: TweakScale-v2.3.6

* recompile for KSP 1.3
* lots of player-submitted patches (thanks eberkain, mikeloeven, OliverPA77)
* set SRB thrust exponent to 3 (so both TWR and burntime are preserved now)
* added a few null checks
* scaling support for resource lists (for drills and converters)
* Fix: don't scale mass if the part has a MFT module
* TWEAKSCALEEXPONENTS should now affect not only the mentioned module but also derived modules
  (e.g. the exponent for ModuleRCS also applies for ModuleRCSFX)

4 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

recompiled/fixed version of Tweakscale

Thanks for the hints, and sorry to keep you waiting!

Hello, is there a way to add tweakscale to everything in the game through module manager? there are many mod parts that would be nice to be able to rescale (wings, adapters, fuselage, etc) and since mods parts are not a fixed thing it would be easier to just slap in into everything.

5 hours ago, mbartelsm said:

Hello, is there a way to add tweakscale to everything in the game through module manager? there are many mod parts that would be nice to be able to rescale (wings, adapters, fuselage, etc) and since mods parts are not a fixed thing it would be easier to just slap in into everything.

you don't want to do it all at once because you'll want to use different scaling exponents/types for different parts but yes, you can use MM to write configs for any and all parts you want to apply some sort of scaling to

9 hours ago, Skylon said:

How do I scale past the usual limit, and scale all parts at once? 

try these docs by @linuxgurugamer not sure if there is anything updated since tho and I thought these shipped with the mod too. RTFM! :P

Although to be honest I don't really understand what you mean by "usual limit" and "all parts at once" - in reference to the latter I think you mean a vessel scale where you can increase the size of the entire ship all together? That's been discussed IIRC but never implemented for various reasons.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone noticed tweakscale seems to scale the mass of hollow things like girders and such as if they were solid?  So a Modular Girder Segment XL that weighs 0.375t @ 100% becomes 24t @ 400%!

Is there a way to use the config files to change ONLY the mass scaling of specific hollow parts like these girders to reduce the amount the mass increases?  I found the patches/Squad/Squad_Structural.cfg file in the Tweakscale folder, but after adding a mass key/value pair to the code:

@PART[trussPiece3x] // Modular Girder Segment XL
{
    %MODULE[TweakScale]
    {
        type = free
        mass = 1.2
    }
}

this doesn't seem to have any effect so I suspect I'm just not understanding how this is supposed to work.  Can someone let me in on how this is done?

Thanks!

11 hours ago, cjones said:

Has anyone noticed tweakscale seems to scale the mass of hollow things like girders and such as if they were solid?

There's a bit of a mess here in that KSP parts don't really have structural properties - they can break apart from each other, but not be squashed or twisted by internal loads in the vessel. So when you TweakScale a girder, do you want an extremely strong and stiff one (cube of linear dimension) or just one that's bigger? With no modelling of the demand, who can tell?

I got a lot of these:

[TweakScale] Exception on writeDryCost: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at PartModuleList.Contains (Int32 classID) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at PartModuleList.Contains (System.String className) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at TweakScale.PrefabDryCostWriter.WriteDryCost () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 42)

Full log:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4g72xful2epn1u3/2017-06-15-3 KSP.log.zip?dl=1

Is there a way to add TweakScale to stock fairings and have the fairing sides scale too? I'm able to Scale the fairing bases using the code below, but the fairing sides don't scale.

@PART[fairingSize2]:HAS[!MODULE[TweakScale]]:FINAL
{
    %MODULE[TweakScale]
    {
        %name = TweakScale
        %type = free
    }
}

Vl1cfNW.png

Edited by Tyko