[1.4.x] TweakScale v2.3.12(Apr-16)

pellinor

2 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

It would still be nice if it could be recompiled in 1.3.1 for CKAN support

If the existing version still works, it's only necessary to inform the CKAN people of that so they can correct the metadata, not to recompile it.

7 minutes ago, damerell said:

If the existing version still works, it's only necessary to inform the CKAN people of that so they can correct the metadata, not to recompile it.

There is also a version file that refers to 1.3.0 specifically, probably that is where CKAN draws its metadata from. I should change that to 1.3.*.

• 2 weeks later...

Small bug to report, but don't know whether it's TS or FAR - when both TS and FAR are installed, along with FAR's patch which alters parachutes to have RealChute modules rather than stock parachute modules, scaling a parachute part has no effect on the amount of drag the chute provides - it just adds mass and visual size.

Log, if that's useful: https://www.dropbox.com/s/pkyf6w07fkr9df4/output_log_FARchutescale.txt?dl=0

Dunno if it will be intelligible in the log, but to test, I put a command pod on top of an SRB with a non-scaled chute - descent speed 13.6m/s or so. Scaled the chute to 2x size --> descent speed 15.some m/s due to higher mass, no benefit gained from scaling chute.

Edited by AccidentalDisassembly

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, kerbalfreak said:

How can I make the "Experiment Storage Unit" scalable? Thanks!

Untested but this ModuleManager patch should work:

@PART[ScienceBox]:NEEDS[TweakScale]
{
    MODULE
    {
        name = TweakScale
        type = stack
        defaultScale = 0.625
    }
}

9 hours ago, Aelfhe1m said:

Untested but this ModuleManager patch should work:

@PART[ScienceBox]:NEEDS[TweakScale]
{
    MODULE
    {
        name = TweakScale
        type = stack
        defaultScale = 0.625
    }
}

I don't know how to exactly use this patches. I simple put this text on a .cfg on the folder of Squad patches of the tweakscale folder. The already existing .cfgs have a very confusing and cluttered text formating, I'm afraid of messing things editing that. 

Well, it worked :)

Thanks!!

51 minutes ago, kerbalfreak said:

Well, it worked

Any .cfg file inside the Gamedata folder will do. It is useful to make a new directory for your own patches so you find them again, and don't lose them when updating mods.

On 11/14/2017 at 1:23 AM, ProtoJeb21 said:

@pellinor How do you scale entire crafts? I've seen it been done many times, but I don't know how to do it myself.

That should be switched by leftCtrl-k. The effect is that when you change the scale a part, it will try to apply the same change to its child parts. This works recursively so changes are propagated as long as the parts inbetween can be scaled that way.

On 10/23/2017 at 11:24 PM, AccidentalDisassembly said:

Small bug to report, but don't know whether it's TS or FAR - when both TS and FAR are installed, along with FAR's patch which alters parachutes to have RealChute modules rather than stock parachute modules, scaling a parachute part has no effect on the amount of drag the chute provides - it just adds mass and visual size.

Log, if that's useful: https://www.dropbox.com/s/pkyf6w07fkr9df4/output_log_FARchutescale.txt?dl=0

Dunno if it will be intelligible in the log, but to test, I put a command pod on top of an SRB with a non-scaled chute - descent speed 13.6m/s or so. Scaled the chute to 2x size --> descent speed 15.some m/s due to higher mass, no benefit gained from scaling chute.

https://github.com/pellinor0/TweakScale/blob/master/GameData/TweakScale/ScaleExponents.cfg#L73-L78

It looks like TweakScale currently does not treat parachutes different in any way. They probably behave like any other part, where drag is scaled by scaling some "drag cube" object that is part of (stock) KSP.

• 2 weeks later...

@pellinor I've managed to scale entire craft to several hundred meters long, but I can't go past scaling sizes of 20 meters, even though others have gone MUCH larger. Is there a way to scale craft ever larger? Do I need to get a mod that allows construction of craft outside the VAB for craft that don't fit?

17 hours ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

@pellinor I've managed to scale entire craft to several hundred meters long, but I can't go past scaling sizes of 20 meters, even though others have gone MUCH larger. Is there a way to scale craft ever larger? Do I need to get a mod that allows construction of craft outside the VAB for craft that don't fit?

This is where the "20 meters" (or "400%") max scale is configured. You can edit those files directly or (better) use MM. Adding values to a ScaleFactors lists gives you additional intervals for the tweakable.

https://github.com/pellinor0/TweakScale/blob/master/GameData/TweakScale/DefaultScales.cfg#L18

Hey @pellinor and all,

First, thank you for your work on this mod, this is one of the most essential mods in KSP universe. 

I want to share my pain about stock landing gear. Not that anything does not work, with current TweakScale and KSP 1.3.1 seems like all stuff that should work really does it. But the very set of landing gears in KSP troubles me - it's really hard to match nose gear and main gears if you make high-wing or low-wing aircraft. Even with TweakScale you'll end up with either huge main gear and tiny front gear, or vice versa. I know, some people install four- or even six-wheeled gears in front, and yes, this is very kerbal, but still looks ugly and such planes almost can't steer. So I thought what if I'll scale wheel transforms independently? Of course, landing gear is, I guess, most complex part in KSP and there's not much room to play, but some still is. I've made a patch for it and if you'll find that it worth it, I'll make the PR. Here are some screenshots to demonstrate how it looks like.

Spoiler

A high-wing aircraft with LY-60 main gear scaled up to 156%, default wheel size. Front gear is LY-35 downscaled to 80%, wheel size is also default. Wheels look rather disproportional.

aZTLriq.png

The same aircraft, but front wheel is 110% with gear being at the same 80% and main gear wheels scaled to 75% with the same 156% gear scale. Looks better to my taste.

eyq5JvS.png

So far I'm only scaling the transforms; the mass, brake force and anything else was not touched, but if the idea will be accepted, I can make it, along with wheel width, for instance.

Edited by whale_2
Fixed typo

• 4 weeks later...

So I"m wondering if, during the starup phase of KSP (i.e. before you're in the game), this is normal:

[LOG 16:02:05.796] [TweakScale] part=OSE.WorkshopAiCore (Workshop AI Core)
[ERR 16:02:05.796] [TweakScale] Exception on writeDryCost: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at PartModuleList.Contains (Int32 classID) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at PartModuleList.Contains (System.String className) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at TweakScale.PrefabDryCostWriter.WriteDryCost () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

About half of my log file is this stuff, even before I begin playing.

On 16.1.2018 at 9:36 AM, TranceaddicT said:

So I"m wondering if, during the starup phase of KSP (i.e. before you're in the game), this is normal:

[LOG 16:02:05.796] [TweakScale] part=OSE.WorkshopAiCore (Workshop AI Core)
[ERR 16:02:05.796] [TweakScale] Exception on writeDryCost: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at PartModuleList.Contains (System.String className) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at TweakScale.PrefabDryCostWriter.WriteDryCost () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

About half of my log file is this stuff, even before I begin playing.

No it isn't. You are on a recent version (using KSP 1.3+)? I'd expect to see this only in some older versions. In any case it should not mean any harm.

On 1/17/2018 at 1:07 PM, pellinor said:

No it isn't. You are on a recent version (using KSP 1.3+)? I'd expect to see this only in some older versions. In any case it should not mean any harm.

KSP 1.3.1

Scale v2.3.7.0 = True

It starts here:

[LOG 19:41:30.473] TweakScale::PrefabDryCostWriter: Start
[ERR 19:41:30.474] [TweakScale] Exception on writeDryCost: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

[LOG 19:41:30.474] [TweakScale] part=kerbalEVA ()
[ERR 19:41:30.474] [TweakScale] Exception on writeDryCost: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

and runs for another 2420 lines.

7 hours ago, MikeO89 said:

Anyway to make this work with the FASA rockets? Trying to fly the Saturn 5 and need to make the service a little bigger to give me more fuel.

you could just edit the part config with MM and increase the fuel amount. Who says it has to actually be physically larger? Games!! :) Unless you're doing a realistic RP