Transferring mods to another computer to another computer?

Cloakedwand72

What is a easy way to transfer mods from a computer to another computer like using the Nexus mod manager for the Elder scrolls and Fallout games?And other games that support mods?

With KSP it is easy; you can simply copy the entire game folder and it will work. That way you are sure you have an exact clone of your existing installation.

With KSP it is easy; you can simply copy the entire game folder and it will work. That way you are sure you have an exact clone of your existing installation.

Do you know how to do this with Nexus Mod Manager and the Elder scrolls games Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas?

Do you know how to do this with Nexus Mod Manager and the Elder scrolls games Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas?

You could try the same. As far as I know the mod manager simply copies files back and forth. It is worth a try, though I am not sure what Steam will make of it if you use that.

If you basically want clone te game with all mods, saves etc. you can backup the game via steam and restore it on the new computer (Steam [top right menu of Steam]> Backup or restore> Backup> Select your game and drive> Let steam do its thing> Go to the new PC> Steam> Backup & Restore> restore> Select drive and folder backup was installed in)

If you only want the mods for the games you could go through your game files and copy/paste it all, a safer way would be to find the zip/original folder of the mod put that on a USB and install the mod on the new PC, but the most reliable would to just renown load the mod

I've never used a mod mgr so I can't help with any of that

This is the simplest, easiest, most reliable way.

Why bother getting other programs involved when you don't need them?

some games are very resistant to being "backed up", needing to be "installed properly" for example. most of the time you can clone any registry entries the game makes on installation and apply those to the registry on the new location. of course i haven't really bothered to do this in over a decade, opting to just simply reinstall everything. also newer titles might install drm software like license management services and wouldn't run without them.

some games, ksp being a good example, dont require anything more than the games files. ive also had good luck with anything based off of idtech engines.

Edited by Nuke

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.