Spice Launch System [SLS] 0.74

maccollo

This mod is, or will be when it's complete, a set of SLS parts for realism overhaul.

Now this isn't the first Space Launch System project for KSP, so to avoid that situation where I spend several months working on the whole thing and then burn out with nothing to show for it I decided to approach it part by part and get the mod out there as soon as the first part was functional.

Well here it is!
Download:
http://spacedock.info/mod/434/Spice%20Launch%20System

All the parts nessesary for launching are in, although some lack textures.
How to launch Block 1B:
SLS can be a bit tricky to launch if you aren't used to launching with inadequate low TWR. This video illustrates a proper launch profile for a 40 ton lunar payload.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNtLzxzo0gg

The Orion capsule and service module and spaceX booster setup uses parts from external mods. Orion requires the RO version of Chaka monkey exploration system and the F9 quad booster setup requires LazTek SpaceX launch pack.

License: All Rights Reserved

Edited by maccollo

Looks cool, I hope you can make it look a bit stock :D

also, WTFPL is a bad licence, imo. Unless you want me to take your stuff and publish it as my stuff otherwhere?

The whole licence thing was sort of confusing to me, so I just picked one. Um.. I changed it for now... I'm not sure I can, but I suppose any updated version will now wont be WTFPL?

The way you said it made it sound as if you could post it and claim copyright on it and then force me to take it down... so I preemptively did that myself.

Um....

fa5.jpg

Edited by maccollo

The whole licence thing was sort of confusing to me, so I just picked one. Um.. I changed it for now... I'm not sure I can, but I suppose any updated version will now wont be WTFPL?

The way you said it made it sound as if you could post it and claim copyright on it and then force me to take it down... so I preemptively did that myself.

Um....

http://i3.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/234/739/fa5.jpg

Yeah, kinda this. You basically say 'I don't take any rights on this thing that I made with my own hands, do whatever the .... you want with it'. Better take some credit, especially on a part pack :P The licence I'd suggest is something that allows others to change and fork but they still have to credit you as the original author. I don't really know what the name for that is ^.^''

Is this only usable in RO? The booster looks amazing, so would be nice to use it in 6.4x RSS and full RSS aswell.

The booster works fine outside of RO, and you could even use it with stock KSP, but without Real Fuel it wont use the thrust profile.

Are you going to make a config for usual KSP? Non-RO?

I can make one. What is the diameter of a booster? I'll scale it back to 2.5 meters.

Cause I like the SLS. I even have one, 135 tons to LKO with dV to spare. Procedural fairings and weakscale.

83153FV.png

The modelling and texturing on this is beautiful but since I don't play with RO I decided to make my own config to allow me to use it in stock KSP to make the Ares I etc. etc. Basically just rescaled it down to 1.875m and guesstimated the mass/thrust values based on other SRBs already in the game, so it's probably a little overpowered and certainly inaccurate. I did a little recolour of the texture to make it match the stock white a little closer too. 1.875m SRBs are dearly missing from the game and your mod has filled a gap for me! You'll need procedural fairings for nosecones and interstages and such.

Part config: http://www.filedropper.com/part_1

Alt texture: http://www.filedropper.com/boosterdiffuse2k1

Screenshot:

Dwt05cW.png

I look forward to the rest of the mod!

Just checked it in-game. Model is great. Even the inside is modelled.

Will do the 2.5m config by the end of the week and post it here. Hope you're okay with that. :P

Permission granted =P I'll probably include one of the configs posted here in the OP.

I did a little recolour of the texture to make it match the stock white a little closer too.

The coloring is a bit off atm. I'm gonna go back and tweak the texture eventually. For it's more important to get the parts done and out the door :)

As for new parts, here's what I'm working on for 0.2.

This is the core, composed of the hydrogen tank, the inter-tank, the oxygen tank and the forward skirt. I might combine into a single piece or keep them separate. If I keep them separate I should be able get more accurate weight distribution.

SLScoreModel.jpg

Edited by maccollo

Wait, huh? The core stage is going to be orange? or just foamy-textured? Any SLS renderings of the core stage I've seen are painted white and black

Other than that, I'm really excited to see this work out. Good luck!

Any preference on Orion mods to use with your SLS?

Edited by Budgie

Any SLS renderings of the core stage I've seen are painted white and black

I don't know why all those publicity pictures do that, except maybe to try and make it look Apollo-y. There are plenty of renderings used on L2 Nasa Spaceflight Forum with a proper orange core. (not that I can afford L2 membership, they just sometimes use disappointingly scaled down versions of the pictures in their free news articles)

Wait, huh? The core stage is going to be orange? or just foamy-textured? Any SLS renderings of the core stage I've seen are painted white and black

Other than that, I'm really excited to see this work out. Good luck!

Any preference on Orion mods to use with your SLS?

Only on the inside it's orange.

G0hqnsT.jpg

No, the exterior of the tank will be orange. It's basically just a modified space shuttle ET, which were left unpainted (and thus orange) to save mass when they realised that painting them white had no real effect.

No, the exterior of the tank will be orange. It's basically just a modified space shuttle ET, which were left unpainted (and thus orange) to save mass when they realised that painting them white had no real effect.

Actually, They stopped painting the tanks to save weight

Exterior was orange on Ares family rockets, which was very similar. On SLS it would be white. See the latest NASA videos and renderings.

You may still make those tank ends hidden in the interstage orange.

Exterior was orange on Ares family rockets, which was very similar. On SLS it would be white. See the latest NASA videos and renderings.

You may still make those tank ends hidden in the interstage orange.

Okay, thats what I thought is happening. I like the white outside, I've gotten used to it to differentiate it from the Ares V

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.