Spice Launch System [SLS] 0.74

maccollo

Started working on the dark knights. In real life I would actually expect them to be almost entirely white due to thermal considerations. Can't have gigantic sections of black baking in the Florida sunlight. Still, it has to look different than the ares booster.

DarkKnightBoosters.jpg

Started working on the dark knights. In real life I would actually expect them to be almost entirely white due to thermal considerations. Can't have gigantic sections of black baking in the Florida sunlight. Still, it has to look different than the ares booster.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/22015656/DarkKnightBoosters.jpg

Wow. I wish that these were playable without RO/RSS.

Also with the black segments I agree in that they are just for marketing, just like the Saturn V paint on the SLS.

Technically all you need is real fuels, although it actually perform quite poorly in the stock system because the TWR drops so much when you throw huge payloads on it.

Edited by maccollo

Please read the very first sentence of this thread :P

I don't think that first sentence excludes a third party more interested in stock rescaling it for people to use. I wouldn't use it, but I'm sure it'd be appreciated

If someone wants to do it I'm ok with it. This mod being for RO just means I don't intend to do it myself. One problem with scaling this for stock is that the diameters of the parts do not match standard sizes. If you just scale the size down by around 65% upper diameter of the payload adapter and the boosters will at least match fairly closely at 3.75 and 2.5 meters, but the core will be 5.5 meters. It's not designed to be a modular set though, so maybe it doesn't matter.

Anyway, now I have issues with the fairings again. I noticed they didn't fire when the the throttle was cut. I set the throttle to be locked in the config and that sorted that issue, but now the fairing separation has turned a bit more kerbal O_o

SLSfairingIssue.png

Edited by maccollo

Please read the very first sentence of this thread :P

Ah, it says this is for RO, but it isn't stopping anyone from making a stock config. :P

WHICH, I did. Kinda. I just like... edited the .cfgs to be stock compatible because I was to lazy to deal with MM.

Works very nice! I made it 5m in diameter.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

First let me tell you I really love this :)

Now if you could help me with the issue i'm facing, i'll love it even more. I use RSS and RealFuel, not the complete RO (got too many issues for unknown reasons), and the SRBs burning time is 98s only instead of the normal 124 (I noticed you have the correct burning time value in the video you posted earlier;) That's a problem for reaching orbit...

A possible explanation or directions to where to look for a solution would be appreciated. ty

Sorry if this has been answered before, but is Real Solar System required for this mod?

The first post mentioned that these parts are made for Realism Overhaul.

But as the sizes and values are mirroring those of the future SLS, I thought it will be adequate for me to use RSS :)

Furthermore, I'll not recommend it, as there are engine performance issue with just RSS (i.e. without RO (didn't try it)). Your mileage may vary (i'll love to hear from someone who's using this mod with RSS)

Update : after installing RO, i checked all the SLS related boosters I could put my hand onto. Surprisingly enough ALL of them are off as far as burning time is concerned, even the one provided/modified by RO (!?). Weight, mass, isp, thrust are ok, but burning time falls short about 30s...

The core stage is ok, RO or not (very small deviations from real stuff, if at all)

Edited by tryinghard

The first post mentioned that these parts are made for Realism Overhaul.

But as the sizes and values are mirroring those of the future SLS, I thought it will be adequate for me to use RSS :)

Furthermore, I'll not recommend it, as there are engine performance issue with just RSS (i.e. without RO (didn't try it)). Your mileage may vary (i'll love to hear from someone who's using this mod with RSS)

Update : after installing RO, i checked all the SLS related boosters I could put my hand onto. Surprisingly enough ALL of them are off as far as burning time is concerned, even the one provided/modified by RO (!?). Weight, mass, isp, thrust are ok, but burning time falls short about 30s...

The core stage is ok, RO or not (very small deviations from real stuff, if at all)

Welcome to the KSP forums =D

Stock alike performance used to be quite managable in RSS. You could push payload fractions of about 2-3%. After the ISP nerf bat that dropped to 1%. Anyways, real fuels is required for this mod to work.

The latest version of RF introduced changes that made the thrust curve not work, so the boosters burn out faster than they should. I have a fix that I will release tomorrow-ish.

Also, since I realized that the F9 cores could work as boosters with the Merlin thrust increase I'm also going to make a special made decouples that can hold two F9s on each side of the SLS. This configuration can throw 60 tonnes to TLI! Screw the dark knight boosters, this is where it's at!

Edited by maccollo

Welcome to the KSP forums =D

Stock alike performance used to be quite managable in RSS. You could push payload fractions of about 2-3%. After the ISP nerf bat that dropped to 1%. Anyways, real fuels is required for this mod to work.

The latest version of RF introduced changes that made the thrust curve not work, so the boosters burn out faster than they should. I have a fix that I will release tomorrow-ish.

Also, since I realized that the F9 cores could work as boosters with the Merlin thrust increase I'm also going to make a special made decouples that can hold two F9s on each side of the SLS. This configuration can throw 60 tonnes to TLI! Screw the dark knight boosters, this is where it's at!

Thank you for your awesome work (and the upcoming fix).

I've read that RF could be the culprit regarding the reduced burn time for boosters, thanks for the confirmation.

I'll love to try that quad booster setup of yours :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.