Spice Launch System [SLS] 0.74

maccollo

So I modeled the adapter, and I'm gonna throw some quick textures on it and put it in the game... but I'm worried it doesn't make any sense structurally. Will this make engineers cringe? Would it be better to just have a single beam going across the center of both boosters?

F9boosterAdapter2.png

Edited by maccollo

So I modeled the adapter, and I'm gonna throw some quick textures on it and put it in the game... but I'm worried it doesn't make any sense structurally. Will this make engineers cringe? Would it be better to just have a single beam going across the center of both boosters?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/22015656/F9boosterAdapter2.png

Honestly, I don't know anything about structural resistance and stuff.. It's a nice solution and probably a first, so go ahead :)

On a second thought, a single beam looks like a viable solution too. Up to you really (i'm not helping, am I?) haha

Well, here it is in the game. Just gotta get the nosecone a proper collision mesh. I'm gonna have to change the model later because I didn't account for the tank itself bulging out, so it clips the beams now. Textures will also have to wait a bit.

The only bad thing about this setup is that it lags to high heaven with all those engines. O_o

SLSF9adapter.jpg

Uploaded to Kerbal Stuff :) If you wanna try the F9 quad booster setup don't forget to up the thrust of the Merlins to the full thrust variant, or it wont work so well.

Edited by maccollo

@emb110

Might do that. At the very least I will put a craft file in there.

@davidy12

That shouldn't be the case. The tanks just have a specified volume. They shouldn't spawn with any resources in the VAB. What mods do you have installed?

Craft files for both the F9 and 1B configuration. The F9 craft file also includes a lunar lander if you wan't to give an Apollo mission a try.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/22015656/SLS%20Block1B.craft

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/22015656/SLSF9%20Lunar%20Mission.craft

Edited by maccollo

Craft files for both the F9 and 1B configuration. The F9 craft file also includes a lunar lander if you wan't to give an Apollo mission a try.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/22015656/SLS%20Block1B.craft

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/22015656/SLSF9%20Lunar%20Mission.craft

Unable to to load craft files due to missing parts, which Orion parts are you using?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
[quote name='Budgie']
To confirm, Maccollo, you're not doing the Block I, are you?[/QUOTE]

Nope, not bothering with it. It's got weak boosters, an under powered core and an abysmally undersized upper stage. It doesn't really seem to have many potential uses.
Besides a lot seems to think the EUS is almost certainly happening at this point, just like most seemed to say the same about the color of the rocket.

[quote name='RoketMan']I'm having some problems too. Not all the parts are showing up I don't know why. I have realism overhaul installed all of the required mods some of the suggested mods and a couple other mods that I like. Please help?[/QUOTE]
I haven't actually gone back to organize all the parts. Most are in the engine and tank section, while the decouplers and nosecones are in the structural section. Actually I'll check tomorrow to make sure the mod still works with 1.05. Edited by maccollo

• 4 weeks later...

OK, I have a lot of problems. One I don't think I can find the right mods because the Orion spacecraft adapter is missing, and I can't attach it to the SLS booster. Also the SLS tank is not orange, and finally your part show that they are not supported by RO.  Please help?!  Also I have not updated to 1.0.5 

Edited by RoketMan

• 4 weeks later...

The collision on the EUS was borked in 1.05 causing massive slowdowns... Or maybe it was in 1.04 too and I didn't notice.
Anyway I will be putting out an update in an hour or so. With it I will also give the EUS a proper interstage. This should also sort out the problem with the top of the rocket being more draggy than it was supposed to be.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0Y1vpINGhI

And it's out... also there is a dark knight booster. I haven't given it it's own model yet, but at least there is a solid booster which is more suited for SLS 1b.

@RoketMan
Sorry for not getting back to your earlier. Exams and work caused me a lot of grief last month. The Orion adapter is in the fuel tanks section of the part menu. It shouldn't actually be in there but... well there it is... 

The not supported by RO thing doesn't really matter. It still works. Not sure what might cause the tanks to be the wrong color...

Edited by maccollo

On 8/14/2015 at 7:35 PM, maccollo said:

Started working on the dark knights. In real life I would actually expect them to be almost entirely white due to thermal considerations. Can't have gigantic sections of black baking in the Florida sunlight. Still, it has to look different than the ares booster.

DarkKnightBoosters.jpg

Great Work Maccollo!

I can see the model for the fuel line (oxygen line) on the misc folder, is there a way to use it?

Thanks!

12 hours ago, Drakenex said:

I can see the model for the fuel line (oxygen line) on the misc folder, is there a way to use it?

Thanks!

It will be attached to the hydrogen tank in the next version, which I'll put out later today. Also making some other minor changes. The engines now produce ground effects, and the staging for the EUS was changed. Now it is the EUS that detaches the interstage so you can decide when to drop it in case the EUS is a bit doing wobbly shenanigans at that moment. Also, all the tanks will now have their respective fuels loaded when you pick the part.
*Oh and the RS25 also got it's thrust bumped up from 109% to 111%
KSP%202016-01-10%2015-09-41-29.png

Edited by maccollo

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.