Spice Launch System [SLS] 0.74

maccollo

On Sunday, January 31, 2016 at 3:44 AM, Natskyge said:

Is the RL-10 B-2 able to be used on other space crafts than the SLS?

Of course! As long as the ship has the right fractions of LH2/LOX.

Is anyone else having problems with the Pyrios boosters giving NaN thrust values? I haven't touched their config, didn't notice when it started happening. Chances are I broke something.

Good news everyone! I have made the mod more accurate by adding 10 tons of dry mass to the core to account for unusable propellant.
Now the core is 114 tons at burnout... Yay?
While I was at it I also balanced volume of the core hydrogen and oxygen tanks, so that lowered the burnout mass by a few tons. Overall it was a net increase but At least it's not going to get any worse now.

The performance of the launch vehicle is now much closer to projected performance of the real SLS, but it's still a couple of tons higher. This maybe due to launch margins and/or the thrust profile on the core. Currently I'm just gunning it at 111% for the entire flight.

The new version also comes with 2 craft files, one for block 1B and block 1B2. Actually I should probably be called Block 1C.
Both come with a dummy payload which represent the amount each version can send to TLI. For block 1B it's 40 tons, and 47 tons for block 1C.

In case anyone is having trouble launching with block 1B I made this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNtLzxzo0gg

On ‎2‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 7:55 AM, Natskyge said:

What mods did you use to make the game look so good?

Just scatterer, planetshine and GEMFX

Edited by maccollo

On ‎2‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 4:56 PM, KerbonautInTraining said:

Is anyone else having problems with the Pyrios boosters giving NaN thrust values?

Havn't had that specific problem (assuming you are talking about the RO pyrios), but when I used them the kerosene boiled off in like 40 seconds. Had to go into the configs and change the tank type to get them to work properly.

Hey @maccollo

I have a problem with your spice launch system mod.

When I download the mod, I put it in gamedata_osx.

The game starts up perfectly fine.

Until it gets to the RS-25 engines. When it gets to those engines in the loading bar, it just freezes. Nothing happens for 30 minutes. ( After that, I just give up. ) I think it has something to do with the version of the computer, as mine was bought back in 2010. Also, if, I take out both of the RN something engines, I have the giant boosters and fuel tanks. None of them are displaying any fuel readings and they don't seen to give any thrust information either. The boosters also seem to never run out of fuel. MI have seen your SLS Launch One video and they seem to run out of PBAN after 02:02 minutes. Mine, run for... well, however long I want the launch, or should I say, ground booster test to go for. 

The liquid hydrogen tanks show no signs of how much fuel are in those bad boys as well. Or did I already say that? I don't know. Another problem is that there are two parts of the huge round fuel tank. You select the fuel tank and then drag out another piece of engineering equipment which I am guessing is a structural adapter that hold the RS-25 engines. ( Which I can't download for some reason. ) When I look at the huge orange fuel tank that is probably somewhat 20 meters tall, I don't see a little ( Or huge ) Green dot on the bottom. Meaning I need to attach a cubic, octagonal strut on the bottom, and THEN, only then, can I attach that huge price of structure that holds the RS-25 engines. Is that what you're supposed to do?

Also, which one is the fairing base, and if you do find a photo, can you tell me why it is not working? I went through every single part and put those every single parts on a 2.5 meter part. None of them showed little or big green dots on the side which is where I would probably attach the fairing cones.

So I also don't know why this mod turns out bad. @maccollo, don't panic. This won't mean I don't like your YouTube videos. I never will not like them. This will not affect your reputation. ( Hopefully )

So I would like a copy of the code. I have gone through all the things. KSP 1.0.5. It all matches up.

The same thing happens with RPM. I got a huge post about how to download it. ( I'm guessing the person who made RPM is cind of a coding genius. ) When I download RPM, none of the monsters are there.

Same with KW Rocketry.

After a lot of times I have tried to download a couple of mods and none of them have stemmed to like my folders, I am starting to believe it is the computer that is the problem. After all, it is 6 years old. So yeah. I also hope this doesn't mean you spend 5 hours trying to help me.  Just at least try to do this in your spare time. 

So, in a shorter ( Much MUCH shorter ) story, I would like to know...

1.) What computer version is best for this mod.

2.) A full copy of the code.

Thanks.

P.S. This took me about 17 minutes to write. :P

Dr.K Kerbal.

:cool:

( Man. My fingers hurt. )

Edited by Dr.K Kerbal
Hello World!

6 hours ago, maccollo said:

Good news everyone! I have made the mod more accurate by adding 10 tons of dry mass to the core to account for unusable propellant.
Now the core is 114 tons at burnout... Yay?
While I was at it I also balanced volume of the core hydrogen and oxygen tanks, so that lowered the burnout mass by a few tons. Overall it was a net increase but At least it's not going to get any worse now.

The performance of the launch vehicle is now much closer to projected performance of the real SLS, but it's still a couple of tons higher. This maybe due to launch margins and/or the thrust profile on the core. Currently I'm just gunning it at 111% for the entire flight.

The new version also comes with 2 craft files, one for block 1B and block 1B2. Actually I should probably be called Block 1C.
Both come with a dummy payload which represent the amount each version can send to TLI. For block 1B it's 40 tons, and 47 tons for block 1C.

In case anyone is having trouble launching with block 1B I made this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNtLzxzo0gg

Just scatterer, planetshine and GEMFX

Whats you GEMFX configuration?

@Dr.K Kerbal
This mod requires real fuels.
http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/58236-105-real-fuels-v1083-feb-1/
Don't forget to install the resource pack.

5 hours ago, Dr.K Kerbal said:

Meaning I need to attach a cubic, octagonal strut on the bottom, and THEN, only then, can I attach that huge price of structure that holds the RS-25 engines. Is that what you're supposed to do?

No, there is an inline attach point there. If you have realism overhaul installed you can load up one of the example crafts and see how it's put together.

@Natskyge

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/22015656/gemFX/GEMFX_settings.cfg

Not yet. When I release that update it will 0.8.

Edit:
More good news everyone! A little bird has told me that the real EUS being designed wont have the extendable nozzle of the RL10-C2. It will instead use a shorter fixed nozzle. This will reduce the ISP from 462 to 448.5.
:(

Edited by maccollo

The update is not on CKAN.

also, it says when I try to try to load the craft: "There are invalid crafts in your folder. Would you like to delete them?" I clicked no, but it has them dulled out in the craft selecting window. Is there a mod that I need to know about that you used? 

Edited by RoketMan

On Sunday, February 07, 2016 at 10:25 AM, maccollo said:

More good news everyone! A little bird has told me that the real EUS being designed wont have the extendable nozzle of the RL10-C2. It will instead use a shorter fixed nozzle. This will reduce the ISP from 462 to 448.5.
:(

Well, that'll make launching a bit easier. I take it that's what was causing the higher than expected payload capacity?

Eh, @maccollo a couple of nitpicks:

The descriptions for the 8.4/10m fairings are flipped, and the 3x booster sepatron doesn't load sometimes but I think that's something on my end. However it would appear roketman is having the same issue.

Edited by KerbonautInTraining

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, RoketMan said:

Wait, what?

Kerbalstuff is dead. Gone. The owner took down the website, there's tons of info on it but basically the community was taking the site for granted.

Since then, it's been replaced by spacedock, which is based on the same open source code. @maccollo has to upload the mod there so people can download it again.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.