Propeller Thrust Tester - Updated to version 1.1!

Ever built an electric motor, turboprop or piston engine with propeller and always wanted to know what thrust it produces? 77 Industries presents the Propeller Thrust Tester! Compatible with pull and push props!

Javascript is disabled. View full album

The procedure:

*Load the PTT in the SPH and from a sub-assembly attach an engine on the 2x2 plate on the the location the arrow is pointing, so that the direction of thrust is pointing at 270 and parallel with the runway. Do not remove the jet engine! Use struts to make sure the engine doesn't bend or oscillates during testing.

*If loaded for the first time: remove the PO2R engine at the arrow before trying to attach an engine.

*Launch. Choose infinite fuel. After physics kick in, start your engine. Make sure the motion dampers are switched on (Action Group 1). This enables the brakes on the rear wheels of the testing cart. Without it, the needle may never stabilize!

*Go to your required settings (throttle, mixture, supercharger, blower pitch, prop pitch, WEP) and wait until the needle stabilizes. Read the position of the needle and remember it or write it down.

*Stop your engine and activate the basic jet engine(s) at the rear of the 2x2 plate. Use the popup and the thrust limiter to adjust and read the values, once the needle stabilizes at the same location. You're done!

From this test I know my PO8RE with Standard Prop 3R32 produces 183kN at sea level and my PO2R with 2 blade prop produces 25 kN (the PO2R is included on the test stand as an example)

Tips:

*Sometimes it helps switching the motion dampers on and off again, to get a more accurate reading. Especially with weak engines or very heavy engines. Losing weight from the fuel tanks helps as well but not too much, the mass works as a damper as well, reduces vibrations and oscillations from wild engines.

*For very wobbly engines, a second set of motion dampers may be enables, Action Group 2.

*The large fuel tanks behind the scale are to draw the camera nearer to the scale, since camera position is set by mass.

*Two standard props are included, they are fine for testing - not for flying. Both left and right turners. The props have 3 blades, 3 segments per blade, 5 times stacked. Blade angle is 32 degrees.

*If you want to fly with these props, increase prop pitch to at least 45. During flight, highest speeds are possible at angles close to 90 degrees at the expense of acceleration and climbing. Perfect for diving!

Updated to version 1.1!

Changes:

*Larger scale for engines that turned out to be producing more than 150kN, second read-out jet engine added.

*Included standard propellers for testing, both left and right turners.

*Added a subtle joke.

Download link: http://kerbalx.com/crafts/1325

Edited by Azimech

*sigh

i have to give someone else reputation, befor i can give some to you... could you please be a little less awesome?

Aaand there goes your rep. Brilliant idea!

Rune. Useful, too.

Thank you for your kind comments and the rep!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.