Devnote Tuesday: Rocket Technology

SQUAD

Totally disagree that KSP needs some kind of pre-defined end game objective, the freedom to create your own objectives is one of the best things about this game. "The End" in minecraft feels like a tack-on job added to satisfy the unimaginative.

Wouldn't it be nice if you could either select one of several endgame possibilities, or to be able to define your own (ie: colonies on every planet supporting a certain number of Kerbals)

My only real issue is that the endgame right now is only in my head. It would be nice if the game could point me in a specific direction, even if I define that direction

...the tech tree can be revised to let you start unlocking aero parts earlier, allowing you to get into spaceplane design at earlier stages of the game.

Yes! Makes a lot more sense than having to land on the Mun in order to get enough science to make a decent atmospheric flyer. I wonder if ladders will move up as well? Or perhaps some concepts that seem obvious to us humans (i.e. 'convenience', 'mobility', 'self-preservation') are completely alien to the Kerbal mind.

I would suggest the Fine Brothers (React Channel). See if they will do a Youtubers react episode with them trying out KSP. See if they can get Rosanna Pansino (Nerdy Nummies) in with the Youtubers playing the game, and try asking her to make some sort of KSP goodies to celebrate KSP turning 1.0. I suggest the react channel because it seems like it would be fun to see people react to KSP, particularly since they are likely to have many explosions in the mix. I suggest Rosanna Pansino because I quite enjoy seeing her make all manner of nerdy delights, and I think it would be fun to see her make something KSP related. :)

Correction: Millions of buyers. Thousands of long time players.

I think they should ask Pewdiepie and Markiplier, maybe Cry and perhaps some other ones.

Pewdiepie would definitely increase the reach of this game. That's about all I can say about that.

I only wish the devs would make planets more alive first (Clouds, Volcanoes, Ocean waves (Interstellar anyone?), Geysers, Wind, ACTUAL COLLISION MESH FOR GROUND SCATTER!!!, Larger asteroids, More asteroids, Asteroid moons for planets, Aurorae, Special music tracks for each planet ( For example a sleepy twinkly one for Eeloo.), Small scale procedural terrain for planets (Little details that are generated by the computer) to make surfaces look cooler,Volumetric rings, Procedural asteroid fields ( It would look like several asteroids but they would really all be attached by part joints making it so the computer only has to calculate one orbit instead of 200.), Dust fog that would fill the asteroid fields,

If you guys wanna see what i am thinking of ksp becoming check out Limit Theory an upcoming space sim with GORGEOUS graphics!.

I've wanted this for so long. Instead we're getting a barn.

Kappa

Which Youtuber would you like to see play KSP, but doesn’t currently?

Personally, I'd like to see any of The Runaway Guys (Proton Jon, chuggaconroy and NintendoCapriSun) play KSP, either individually or together (using DMP).

I've wanted this for so long. Instead we're getting a barn.
Yeah, the decision to bring back the barn was just downright ... suspect considering all the other stuff in the game that could use polish.

I do have a question for you, Which Youtuber would you like to see play KSP, but doesn’t currently?

The Mighty Jingles! Normally he plays War Thunder and World of Tanks... But since he loves blowing things up so much, perhaps we can convert him to the cause?

I wonder what TotalBiscuit The Cynical Brit will say about (pre)release version.

You can see what he says about it for a Steam Sale last November

. I'm sure he'd be up to do a "W T F is..." video on KSP once 1.0 comes out.

I would like a clarification, the tech tree tools will only be for the Dev's and testers right? It looked like some people in this thread thought it was going to be a public feature.

As for Youtuber's, NASA. I don't watch many vids on youtube, so I'm not up on who would be a good audience.

It's nice to know the tech tree will be getting revamped. Looks like things are coming together well.

I only wish the devs would make planets more alive first (Clouds, Volcanoes, Ocean waves (Interstellar anyone?), Geysers, Wind, ACTUAL COLLISION MESH FOR GROUND SCATTER!!!, Larger asteroids, More asteroids, Asteroid moons for planets, Aurorae, Special music tracks for each planet ( For example a sleepy twinkly one for Eeloo.), Small scale procedural terrain for planets (Little details that are generated by the computer) to make surfaces look cooler,Volumetric rings, Procedural asteroid fields ( It would look like several asteroids but they would really all be attached by part joints making it so the computer only has to calculate one orbit instead of 200.), Dust fog that would fill the asteroid fields,

If you guys wanna see what i am thinking of ksp becoming check out Limit Theory an upcoming space sim with GORGEOUS graphics!.

Exactly! When I see what modders were able to accomplish (Astronomer's Visual Pack, EVE, Better Atmospheres., etc) I can't believe that they are making 1.0 release without - at least - clouds...!

It seems that a lot of you misunderstood what I meant about an "Ultimate goal" for the game.. Not that when it is reached, you see "game over" and credits roll. It simply means there is a hard to reach, final tech demanding, Expensive goal for the game. It needs something to propel you forward, other than your imagination.. How about a black hole that you have to "probe" to get a final piece of equipment. When I say probe, I mean.. put in orbit without entering the event horizon, take some measurements, then return it back to kerbin. Realistically, This only requires making another "black" planetary body, maybe 30 AU from kerbol, that has a huge gravity well. Add a contract to "probe" it, and make the reward A piece of hardware that you didn't previously have. Maybe something "sciencefictiony" .. This way, it's not required, but would still be a "Goal". TO get a special piece of equipment that you otherwise wouldn't have.

- - - Updated - - -

With this being said, lets talk about "the best game possible".. This would be having another solar system somewhere, and the ability to set up kerbal civilization there by transporting kerbals, and being able to set up another KSC by flying equipment there, or using the new mining system to extract ores directly from the new planet to be crafted into "things

My vision of what would be an interesting game progression would be a series of randomly placed procedurally generated anomalies, where early on after the first few missions you find an anomaly on Kerbin which unlocks the next anomaly, say on the Mun....
That sounds a lot like NovaSilsko's original plan for the storyline involving the easter eggs and a hidden planet.
Lots of great ideas here for the career mode endgame, both old and new. I'd love to see some work done with Nova's proposal, after all, Resources have come back, in a less complex form. The doors to "endgame" possibilities were opened by revealing that we will be able to fail, in the "Beyond Beta" announcement. An "ultimate tech," optional "ultimate contract" or connect-the-dots kind of new discovery would improve the success side of the equation. Edited by basic.syntax

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.