[1.0.x] RKE Kanadarm v0.11.0 - May 24

spudbean

V3XQbhRm.png

RSV-003 Endurance approaches the Challenger service module, the first part of the Freedom Space Station. Bill Kerman expertly maneuvers the robotic arm over to the as of yet unnamed habitation and docking module.

xtGt9nFm.jpg

Berthing to the coupling joint of the module successful.

dKy2Rotm.jpg

Jebediah Kerman inverts Endurance so that the docking nodes of Challenger and the hab module are lined up.

Rx2dE7jm.jpg

Contact confirmed, the station grows a little bit today.

KWf51vxm.jpg

Endurance backs off to take photographs, sending them back to the KSC for analysis, before it approaches to dock, so that they can ensure all systems are functional.

gKVPAdAm.jpg

Hard seal confirmed.

Is that LEE a KAS magnet?

Because: if a part is docked with the ARM, it doesn't want to get docked to a another module attached to the shuttle...

I know... it's very hard to explain...

Maybe this old screenshot can help:

536bb02dba64c0.42348632.pngAs the part (this case a solar panel) is grabbed with a magnet, it isn't docked to the craft, just simply connected. It allows me to dock it on a appropriate docking port on the station when the shuttle is already docked to the station.

Edited by MK3424

RSV-003 Endurance approaches the Challenger service module...

That looks magic, mate! Nice work.

- - - Updated - - -

Is that LEE a KAS magnet? ... It allows me to dock it on a appropriate docking port on the station when the shuttle is already docked to the station.

No the LEE is not a KAS magnet, it is a docking port (as is the PDGF). I think I know you are getting at (it is very hard to explain, I know!).

• You are starting with what is essentially one vessel: the space station, the shuttle, the solar truss, the robotic arm are all docked/connected together.
  • You want to move the solar truss. It is connceted to the whole vessel by a docking port, and you basically want to move it from that docking port to another docking port.
  • With KAS: You can grab the truss with a magnet, undock the truss (so it becomes it's own vessel), and then move it to the destination docking port (where it re-merges with the space station vessel).
  • With RKE Kanadarm: it is a very similar procedure, but everything remains one vessel the whole time (almost):
  • The truss needs a PDFG on it somewhere for the LEE to grab (the PDFG is grabbable in KAS, so you can go on EVA and put one where you want.)
  • Use the robotic arm to position the LEE (which is a docking port) to the PDFG (which is a docking port of the matching type).
  • They will dock together, because you can dock a vessel to itself. This forms a "self-dock" which is a weaker kind of docking then a normal pair of docked parts. You can tell it has docked because either (but usually not both) the LEE or the PDFG will have an "undock" or "decouple" action on the right-click menu.
  • Now: undock the solar truss from the space station. The means that the "weak" self-dock between the LEE and the PDFG will convert to a strong normal docking connection.
  • NB: Do a F5/F9 or change scenes (see below).
  • Move the solar truss to the destination docking port, so that it forms a "weak" self-dock.
  • Undock/decouple the PDFG and LEE, and the solar truss and space station will go from a "weak" dock to a strong normal coupling.
  • NB: Do a F5/F9 or change scenes (see below).

NB: Do a F5/F9 or change scenes after docking and before using Infernal Robotics to move the arm. There is some residual weirdness in IR (which I am trying to fix) to do with docking ports. For now, existing the scene and re-entering the scene should fix the weirdness..

I'll spend some this week making a clear tutorial video on how to do this.

Thank's for the screenshot. Yeah that is a bug in Infernal Robotics with any "rotating" part who's rotation is off-axis. But: it only does that in the VAB, if you take the vessel out for a spin you should find the part rotates correctly. If the problem exists out on the launch pad, please let me know.

I have same problem as @InsaneDruid but on Launch pad. see the screenshot http://i.imgur.com/yt7Nt0Q.png i write Here on the picture, because on the spot i can't rotate it, then all parts has disassemble.

but with hard work after 8 times or more i docked, but after undock all blow up.

I have same problem as @InsaneDruid but on Launch pad.

If you can believe it: your problem is slightly different to InsaneDruid's. I'm pretty sure your problem is the InfernalRobotics + Docking = Extra caution to avoid the Kraken problem. The solution is to F5/F9 after docking with the LEE (see my extended walk through above).

Please let me know if that doesn't address the problem.

This feels like it will be a recurring gotcha for everyone. I'm in the process of debugging the underlying issue in Infernal Robotics. This might take me a week or so.

EDIT: Also: try putting a part (e.g. the RKE spacer) between the rotating joint and the LEE. Connecting the LEE (a docking port) directly to a rotating part can lead quickly to trouble.

Edited by spudbean

Does this mean docking ports and IR can now be made to work together?

Sort of. I've found that after docking you need to reload the scene (e.g. F5/F9) to avoid IR/docking-port problems (see known-issues in above post). I'm in the process of debugging IR, hopefully I can nail down the problem once and for all.

Interesting. So does F5/F9'ing avoid the vessel graph traversing parts in the incorrect direction? As I'm sure you know, an IR part has a fixed and moving mesh, so if you place it on backwards the fixed part still remains fixed (and thus floats in mid-air). It's hard to tell from the gif in the OP, but I think this is still a problem with your parts and something that would need code to resolve.

So does F5/F9'ing avoid the vessel graph traversing parts in the incorrect direction?

Yeah that's my current hypothesis. The fix probably involves re-creating the IR ConfigurableJoints whenever there is a docking event, but I want to create a canonical test case highlighting the underlying problem first.

Thought: Should the PMDF (The thing the robot hand grabs) be KAS compatible? As is, can be removed and installed on craft, like their grapple points? I think they should, it would be cool to do recovery missions on old satellites or use it for rescue...

Thought: Should the PMDF (The thing the robot hand grabs) be KAS compatible?

Yep, it sure should! I made the PDGF ("grapple fixture") KAS-compatible in the 0.10 release :D You can now send Jeb out and slap a PDGF wherever you need one. So long as you brought some spare ones with you ;-)

I'm a dope, I *thought* the PDGF wasn't in the list of "addable" items when editing KAS storage containers in the VAB, but I now see it does appear in the list of items I can store...

Nevermind. :(

• 3 weeks later...
Proposed todo: custom external seat for placing kerbal on top of robotic arm.

Nice idea. There's a good image of the "foot restraint platform" for the Canadarm2 here: http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/imagegallery/image_feature_1886.html . It looks like it attaches to the side of the LEE. I think the platform for the original Candarm had a grapple fixture http://airandspace.si.edu/collections/artifact.cfm?object=nasm_A20130045000 .

Either way, it seems like these were attached post-launch in EVA. Sounds like it should then be KAS-attachable and storable. I've added it to my TODO.

• 2 weeks later...
http://i.imgur.com/V3XQbhRm.png

RSV-003 Endurance approaches the Challenger service module, the first part of the Freedom Space Station. Bill Kerman expertly maneuvers the robotic arm over to the as of yet unnamed habitation and docking module.

http://i.imgur.com/xtGt9nFm.jpg

Berthing to the coupling joint of the module successful.

http://i.imgur.com/dKy2Rotm.jpg

Jebediah Kerman inverts Endurance so that the docking nodes of Challenger and the hab module are lined up.

http://i.imgur.com/Rx2dE7jm.jpg

Contact confirmed, the station grows a little bit today.

http://i.imgur.com/KWf51vxm.jpg

Endurance backs off to take photographs, sending them back to the KSC for analysis, before it approaches to dock, so that they can ensure all systems are functional.

http://i.imgur.com/gKVPAdAm.jpg

Hard seal confirmed.

Hmm did you encounter wobble ? I am trying to use this RKE Arm and I have more wobble than using Lazor CanadaArm.

How much weight should I place in the cargo hold ? I must say I am trying trying to take out from cargohold Inflatable Agriculture Module and Aeroponics Module as once whole part. Maybe it is too heavy ? Thanks for tips.

Hmm did you encounter wobble ? I am trying to use this RKE Arm and I have more wobble than using Lazor CanadaArm.

How much weight should I place in the cargo hold ? I must say I am trying trying to take out from cargohold Inflatable Agriculture Module and Aeroponics Module as once whole part. Maybe it is too heavy ? Thanks for tips.

One thing that caused a ton of wobble and "unscheduled disassembly" for me, was SAS. The flex of the arm, mass of shuttle and payload is too much. So SAS and payloads can be tricky. The other thing I found was slow movement the new release of IR takes care of this with acceleration. You want to get that mass moving slowly and stop it slowly.

Hope I didn't barge in, I'm curious to see what falken has to say as well

Is this getting an update to be compatible with 1.0?

Give Spudbean some time a lot changed with 1.0 Especially for the Infernal Robotics plugin. This is a fairly new project and I would be surprised if he didn't update it (when he has the time to do so)

• 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.