[1.0.x] RKE Kanadarm v0.11.0 - May 24

spudbean

I have a working version of RKE in 1.0.2 (waiting on spudbeans permission before I post it here) In the mean time all you need to do is add a (-) in the bottom node definitions of all the part .cfg files like this.

node_stack_top = 0.0, 4, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 1

node_stack_bottom = 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 1 Change to = node_stack_bottom = 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 1

node_attach = 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0

The new node system in 1.0.2 is more strict and nodes need to face the proper direction. That's the basic fix for a lot of mods from .90 to 1.0.2.

Also I found a good way of mounting the PDGF to a structure is always attach via nodes. No surface attach from the PDGF to the core or what you are grabbing. Now using KIS to attach a PDGF you really don't have a choice. But using nodes will remove the floating PDGF when grabbed by an arm (at least it worked the half dozen times I tried it in 1.0.2)

I have just released a version of RKE Kanadarm that is compatible with KSP 1.0.x. Thank you for your patience fellow Kerbanauts! Special thanks to V8jester for posting his fixes to the config files.

I have tested this with IR 0.12.2, IR-rework v01b, KIS 1.1.4 and KAS 0.5.1. (Only IR is required.) The PDFG should be grabable and placeable using KIS.

Please let me know if you run into any problems, and I will try to be as responsive as possible. Thanks again for your patience.

Oh, hey Sudbean. Something else I noticed. If you increase the mass of the PDGF and the LEE. They don't flex as much. I set them both to 0.05 which is the same as a jr docking port.

Ps. Thanks for the props, I'm just another impatient fan bro :)

Anyone know why this is happening? KSP 1.0.2/Latest RKE Release

http://imgur.com/a/5YssF

I believe you have the rotors set incorrectly. You need to be sure the "base node" of the rotor is set first when the part is spawned in the SPH VAB the node you need to attach will be facing toward the rear in the SPH or, down in the VAB. There aren't really any tell tell sign on the rotors so you just need to pay attention when you spawn the part.

I think I need a tutorial video or something. I kinda get it... Attach the node that is facing DOWN first, after I click it and it appears in the VAB?

Yes. So what you want is

click the rotor in the parts list

when it is now the part you can place, the node facing the rear of the hanger in the sph is the "anchor node"

Connect that node to the craft.

another way to find the "anchor node" is to try to surface attach the rotor and you will immediately see which node it is

Hey I just had a great idea, I'll ask this on the KAS thread as well. How about the idea of a hybrid LEE PDGF (docking port) The idea is use a KAS magnet to first grab the port (only works for LEE and PDGF. Retain the magnetic attraction but without the actual docking) This way you can grab from two directions at the same time without reloading the scene. Once you pull your cargo away from its previous docking port then manually engage the magnet to now be a docking port. This gives time to transfer from one docking port to the next in a more realistic fashion than floating them together. I've messed around with turning the LEE into a KAS magnet it can be done but then it no longer accepts the PDGF. So its one or the other at the moment. Unless someone smarter than me comes along and figures it out. - Just throwing it out there.

Is an inline elbow joint in the spec? While this is perfect for making Canadarm 2 style arms, Canadarm 1 used an inline rotator at various joints.

IR rework parts fit well when scaled with Tweakscale. I have a video on my thread to show you.

Yes. So what you want is

click the rotor in the parts list

when it is now the part you can place, the node facing the rear of the hanger in the sph is the "anchor node"

Connect that node to the craft.

another way to find the "anchor node" is to try to surface attach the rotor and you will immediately see which node it is

I have this problem, but even getting the anchor node right doesn't work all the time. And when it does, part of the model clips out unrealistically.

Hey Spudbean I have a present for you :)

And for you guys that needed help with arm setup. The craft file can be downloaded from my thread

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/114508-Advanced-aircraft-Screenshots-and-building-techniques

thx for trying man, but it did not work for me

I put you mods list( RKE Kanadarm,Infernal Robotics,IR Rework,B9 WIP Update) but can not loaded, many mssing parts. Preaty bad you did not put as a subansamble just the crane :(

and dear modder @spudbean, can you put just 1 little crane as a subassembly becouse you are the creator of this mod and you understand it better than anybody else if it's not too much trouble for you or you realy know how to amke a playable crane :)

i'm still haveing problem like this http://i.imgur.com/yt7Nt0Q.png

Edited by GERULA

For anyone still having problems with assembly, what I've figured out is that the two rotating joints need to be alternated in their placement. One joint should be used for "Elbow" movement, and the other for the wrist. As far as how it should be oriented, on the joints themselves, structural ends should be paired with structural ends.

So, for a finished assembly of an Elbow/Wrist joint, you'd have the copper plates carrying the regular structural arms (IE, they'd be where you want that part of the arm to rotate), and the structural ends of the joints joined together (or split by another structural part, depending on how you want to build your arm). This will ensure that they operate correctly without the model going bonkers. The model will still go bonkers in the VAB (though you can still use VAB movement to determine how the joint will move) but in flight it shouldn't.

I'm going to go ahead and upload a subassembly of the arm once my KSP is back up (it crashed before I could save it). Presuming your install isn't bonkers and there isn't some phantom nonsense messing things up, the sub should give you guys a good idea on how to assemble the arm. And if anything, you can just tear out the Elbow/Wrist joints and skip trying to figure out lol.

So, for the life of me, I can't get the LEE and the PDF to doc. Im trying with un-docked ships.the LEE passes right through the side of the target ship right up to the end of the little hole in the LEE. I did put the arm together from KIS/KAS, I don't know if thats the issue (the target was built and launched with the PDGF.) I'm running 32 bit windows version with a few mods. ARe there any known mod incompatibilities? am I doing it wrong?

Edited by KD8QDZ
fixing derps

After doing some testing (a clean setup, new save, only mods are infernal Robotics and his one) I've determined that the LEE and PDGF will not self dock. It will dock with other objects ok but not self dock. I take the exact same craft remove the LEE/PDGF and put on stock docking port JR's and it self docks fine. Perhaps your magnetic strength is set too low? I know it's partially working because when I decuple a part with a PDGF near a LEE, the force from the LEE will PUSH the part back a bit as it falls. clearly either I'm using a part backwards (the PDGF's I assume go with the post bit out, and the LEE goes with rounded bit to the arm.) Perhaps some settings are wrong?

Christopher

• 1 month later...
I love this arm but I really don't know how to work it. Can someone please post an easy instructional guide for this?

What specifically are you looking for help with? IR setup for the arm after it is assembled? Or just attaching the parts together? I'm assuming you are having issues assembling an arm correct?

So to build an arm you need to pay attention to the "anchor node" of each of the moving components of the arm. IR Rework has more visual queues to help you visualize how the parts go together but RKE has a more realistic appearance. But all that aside.

Start in the VAB for easier reference. Build an arm from the base to the hand, end whatever you want to call it.

Every part needs to be pointing the proper direction or it will not function properly. So to start grab a standard rotor, and as soon as the part is spawned you will see two nodes on the part. One on the bottom of the rotor and the other on the side of the rotor.

The node facing down is your "anchor node" Use this node to attach the rotor.

Now you can attach a "Reverse Rotor" to the rotor already placed. This time the rotor will spawn in a different orientation. Again the node facing down is the anchor node. But the two nodes will be "reversed" Orient the revers rotor to align the anchor node to attach to the standard rotor previously placed.

After that it is as simple as attaching structural tubes in either direction, orientation is not important with those.

and repeating the same steps with all IR components.

The movement will not work properly in the VAB you will need to launch to have everything function normally. If you are still lost feel free to ask here or on one of the IR threads for more advanced setups.

Also I have a preassembled arm on my forum thread linked bellow if you need more of a visual reference.

Edited by V8jester

• 1 month later...

I am having a problem, I am using 1.04 KSP and bobcats Space shuttle, with Canadarm2, I downloaded the Community ISS and currently building it in orbit, which is phenomenal, in detail. I started with the Zarya. Then zvezda, then Unity, Then Destiny and harmony and the pma 2,

I have been using the Space Shuttle with canadarm2 that works with servo control, I see the option on the arm end to turn on the magnet, But it just clips through the Module nodes, I then tried to attach KAS magent turn it on and the same thing, Then i tried the hook, The hook doesnt clip but it doesnt attach just bangs into the module. How can i get the canadarm2 to attach to my modules?

Thanks

• 1 month later...

Thought I would share this.

Here is the Tweakscale MM Patch for RKE Kanadarm I used to build Dextre from the ISS - It also increases the mass of the Lee and PDGF slightly to make them a little less wobbly.

//RKE Kanadarm Tweakscale Patch

@PART[rkekarm075]
{
%MODULE[TweakScale]
{
type = free
}
}

@PART[rkekarm100]
{
%MODULE[TweakScale]
{
type = free
}
}

@PART[rkekarm200]
{
%MODULE[TweakScale]
{
type = free
}
}

@PART[rkekarm400]
{
%MODULE[TweakScale]
{
type = free
}
}

@PART[rkekarm600]
{
%MODULE[TweakScale]
{
type = free
}
}

@PART[rkekelbow]
{
%MODULE[TweakScale]
{
type = free
}
}

@PART[rkeklee]
{
%MODULE[TweakScale]
{
type = free
}
}

@PART[rkeklee]
{
@mass = .05
}

@PART[rkekpdgf]
{
%MODULE[TweakScale]
{
type = free
}
}

@PART[rkekpdgf]
{
@mass = .05
}

@PART[rkekrotor]
{
%MODULE[TweakScale]
{
type = free
}
}

@PART[rkekrotor2]
{
%MODULE[TweakScale]
{
type = free
}
}

@PART[rkekspacer]
{
%MODULE[TweakScale]
{
type = free
}
}

screenshot1_zpszkmxzqja.png~original

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.