[1.0.x] RKE Kanadarm v0.11.0 - May 24

spudbean

[quote name='VenomousRequiem']Yes, it seems to work fine.

Can anyone provide me with a subassembly of a [I]working [/I]​arm? I'm not very good at this...[/QUOTE]On my thread I have a demo arm. The mod list is there as well.

[URL]http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/114508-Advanced-Aircraft-Screenshots-and-Building-Techniques[/URL]

[quote name='stryker2279']i seem to be getting this weird bug where the parts themsleves dont move, but the parts attached do move, heres a pic:
[URL]http://imgur.com/DBpJvRT[/URL][/QUOTE]looks like you have them attached backwards. There is a "rotor" and a "reverse rotor" the RKE parts are not marked as clearly as zodious's rework parts but all IR parts have a "root node" which must be attached first. This is the reason for the "revers rotor" basically the node facing the rear of the hanger or the base of the VAB will alway be your "root mode"

• 1 month later...

It's a damn shame that there seems to be a (floating point?) error that slowly but surely corrupts these arms until they look like an ERTL model someone put in a microwave.  I don't think it's this mod's fault, as I've seen the same sort of part migration with the small truss from Squad as well.

First I had to make on that had the joints I needed.

Check!

Then I had to figure out settings that didn't make the whole shuttle wobble it's self apart if I moved the payload.

Check!

Then I used Time Warp and......  My God.  The Horror.

Just wanted to vent, put blame where it belonged, and praise the greatness of these parts - cause these are great, Squad and decimal places?  Not so much.

9 hours ago, tg626 said:

It's a damn shame that there seems to be a (floating point?) error that slowly but surely corrupts these arms until they look like an ERTL model someone put in a microwave.  I don't think it's this mod's fault, as I've seen the same sort of part migration with the small truss from Squad as well.

First I had to make on that had the joints I needed.

Check!

Then I had to figure out settings that didn't make the whole shuttle wobble it's self apart if I moved the payload.

Check!

Then I used Time Warp and......  My God.  The Horror.

Just wanted to vent, put blame where it belonged, and praise the greatness of these parts - cause these are great, Squad and decimal places?  Not so much.

Are you saying the arm joints are not staying connected and are floating apart when used / warped? This is due to the joints being placed backwards. I personally don't have any such floating apart or breaking issues with RKE

Yes that is what I'm saying.  Move apart, together, at odd angles.  So, how do you know which end is which in the VAB??? I didn't even know there was a wrong way to assemble them.

On 11/23/2015 at 8:04 PM, V8jester said:

This is the reason for the "revers rotor" basically the node facing the rear of the hanger or the base of the VAB will alway be your "root mode"

Just saw this, never mind.

I think it would be a good idea to color the texture on the root end to make it clear...

Guess I'll have another go at it.

Edited by tg626

45 minutes ago, tg626 said:

Yes that is what I'm saying.  Move apart, together, at odd angles.  So, how do you know which end is which in the VAB??? I didn't even know there was a wrong way to assemble them.

Just saw this, never mind.

I think it would be a good idea to color the texture on the root end to make it clear...

Guess I'll have another go at it.

No worries tg626. That's why the rest of us are here ;)

This has indeed cured it's ills.  Good to know.

Is the author still around?  I found at least one issue, the .version file included is for RKE Joystick, not Kanadaarm (KSP AVC) plus Kerbalstuff could stand to be updated to show this mod DOES work in 1.0.5

1 hour ago, tg626 said:

This has indeed cured it's ills.  Good to know.

Is the author still around?  I found at least one issue, the .version file included is for RKE Joystick, not Kanadaarm (KSP AVC) plus Kerbalstuff could stand to be updated to show this mod DOES work in 1.0.5

Spudbean hasn't logged in, for a while but I doubt he has gone for good. If you keep getting the warning when loading up KSP you can try Compatibility Popup Blocker Or you can simply delete all the AVC stuff in mods you know work. It's just a convenience thing more than anything.

• 2 months later...
On 2015/8/3 at 1:33 AM, V8jester said:

What specifically are you looking for help with? IR setup for the arm after it is assembled? Or just attaching the parts together? I'm assuming you are having issues assembling an arm correct?

So to build an arm you need to pay attention to the "anchor node" of each of the moving components of the arm. IR Rework has more visual queues to help you visualize how the parts go together but RKE has a more realistic appearance. But all that aside.

Start in the VAB for easier reference. Build an arm from the base to the hand, end whatever you want to call it.

Every part needs to be pointing the proper direction or it will not function properly. So to start grab a standard rotor, and as soon as the part is spawned you will see two nodes on the part. One on the bottom of the rotor and the other on the side of the rotor.

The node facing down is your "anchor node" Use this node to attach the rotor.

Now you can attach a "Reverse Rotor" to the rotor already placed. This time the rotor will spawn in a different orientation. Again the node facing down is the anchor node. But the two nodes will be "reversed" Orient the revers rotor to align the anchor node to attach to the standard rotor previously placed.

After that it is as simple as attaching structural tubes in either direction, orientation is not important with those.

and repeating the same steps with all IR components.

The movement will not work properly in the VAB you will need to launch to have everything function normally. If you are still lost feel free to ask here or on one of the IR threads for more advanced setups.

Also I have a preassembled arm on my forum thread linked bellow if you need more of a visual reference.

I still have a problem after tried what you said. My KSP version is 1.05, with all mods up-to-date with CKAN. please help me to find out what the problem is? As the Video depicts, I've attached the "anchor node"of the rotor (which is facing down the VAB) to the Command Pod, but still behave weird when rotating this part by servo. I also tried many ways to mount my rotor but all failed. if I use stock Magic Smoke Robotics Parts, everything is just fine.

2 hours ago, itrowa said:

I still have a problem after tried what you said. My KSP version is 1.05, with all mods up-to-date with CKAN. please help me to find out what the problem is? As the Video depicts, I've attached the "anchor node"of the rotor (which is facing down the VAB) to the Command Pod, but still behave weird when rotating this part by servo. I also tried many ways to mount my rotor but all failed. if I use stock Magic Smoke Robotics Parts, everything is just fine.

That's just how they act in the VAB / SPH. Launch it and everything works perfect. (But do not try to move any of the RKE parts until you have launched or they will misalign like that.)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, _Krieger_ said:

Yeah, same here, I wish this was still supported. It really complements ISS builds.

RKE still works just fine on 1.1 Just need the new IR plugin and also be sure you're using the proper joints as there is a "joint" as well as a "Reverse Joint" if you use them wrong they will detach like that.

9 hours ago, V8jester said:

RKE still works just fine on 1.1 Just need the new IR plugin and also be sure you're using the proper joints as there is a "joint" as well as a "Reverse Joint" if you use them wrong they will detach like that.

could I screen shot you how I put it together? And see if I did put parts in the right connectors. AFAIK I was connecting a gold plated end to a non-gold plated end using the official spec sheet on how the arm is built. I whipp this up tonight and have you take a better look

3 hours ago, lextacy said:

could I screen shot you how I put it together? And see if I did put parts in the right connectors. AFAIK I was connecting a gold plated end to a non-gold plated end using the official spec sheet on how the arm is built. I whipp this up tonight and have you take a better look

So if you look at the IR Rework parts they have a "Base" indicated by yellow markings on one side of any of the parts. As well as the base's attachment node will be facing either the rear of the SPH or in the VAB it will be pointing straight down, when the part is first spawned.

The base of an IR part can also be noted by surface attaching an IR part to another part. Think of all IR parts as a one way conductor. They only work when power flows from the base, to the top. If an IR part is installed backward it will disconnect and not work at all in flight when moved. You can see this also with the Rework parts. They will act exactly the same way.

A side note: RKE parts will not work properly in the SPH / VAB. But they will work just fine once in flight.

Ok, made a whole new arm and even did a full EVA installing the P4/4 truss.  Did I make the arm right?

http://s1164.photobucket.com/user/chadro_6963/slideshow/ISS%20CANADARM%202%20Journal

One thing is I have done is go back to the ISS after the landing of the shuttle (post-installation of truss) and the ISS loads with the arm fully intact. BUT! I have not tested moving the arm in a different position , then save the game, then load it to see if arm will warp. That will be for another day :P 

I was really impressed with how this mod actually installed this truss ; cheated a bit by KIS'ing the truss due to truss issues.....get it? pun of the day. This mod fricken rules! :D Keep up the  good work !

Edited by lextacy

8 hours ago, lextacy said:

Ok, made a whole new arm and even did a full EVA installing the P4/4 truss.  Did I make the arm right?

http://s1164.photobucket.com/user/chadro_6963/slideshow/ISS%20CANADARM%202%20Journal

One thing is I have done is go back to the ISS after the landing of the shuttle (post-installation of truss) and the ISS loads with the arm fully intact. BUT! I have not tested moving the arm in a different position , then save the game, then load it to see if arm will warp. That will be for another day :P 

I was really impressed with how this mod actually installed this truss ; cheated a bit by KIS'ing the truss due to truss issues.....get it? pun of the day. This mod fricken rules! :D Keep up the  good work !

Well.... KIS and IR can play together. But strange things are bound to happen. Just bare that in mind.

Also it still looks like you have a couple of the pivots set backward. I've been meaning to do a tutorial video at some point. Maybe I will show how to assemble IR arms with Rework an RKE parts.

A lot of people have been having issues assembling with RKE, not just you. Just remember base node must always attach first. Then other parts can attach to the top node. 

Edited by V8jester

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

V8Jester, or anyone else still active,

Curious if there are reports of this working in a port 1.2 environment. I have looked far and wide without success.

I was using with limited success and ran into compatibility issues with KJR (fixed by making a suggested edit in the KJR config files. That was an issue where the LEE on the end of the arm opposite the root-end was fixed in place and the IR motors would just twist the joints while both LEEs remained fixed in space. 

Now, the problem is latching/docking (for inchworm and other purposes). I have hit a similar issue to those above who cannot get the LEE and PDGF to mate. I spent hours on it yesterday and deduced the following:

-Rarely, I can get the LEE to "stick" to a PDGF, whether the PDGF is part of the same craft or not.

-Sometimes the LEE "magnetizes" toward the PDGF and "sticks" but does not "dock" so that there is no undock command on the mated PDGF or LEE.

-Very rarely, I can get the LEE to dock with the PDGF, but 99% of the time, the command "undock" appears on the PDGF. When that happens, decoupling the root LEE OR PDGF (regardless of what part the craft is controlled from), causes the whole arm to fall off the craft (undocked from everywhere).

-1% of the time, the "undock" command appears on the terminal LEE instead of the PDGF. In that single case, decoupling the root LEE caused the terminal LEE/PDGF connection to take over and become a hard dock (which also allowed inchworming).

TL;DR - not completely borked, virtually no Kraken behavior, but practically useless. I tried updating all the various mods to current versions, so I'm assuming it is incompatibility amongst mods or with latest 1.2 release. Also updated the acquireTorque and acquireForce values per page one of this topic, with limited effect. 

I'm baffled that there appears to be no working canadarm2 mod given the preponderance of people building the ISS. 

@Pigzippa47 I am still around :)

So (cracks knuckles) RKE does still work in 1.2.1 using the latest (IR 2.0.7) It just will not work inside the SPH / VAB as the parts are old enough they are not setup completely correct. As far as KJR issues. There are still some issues needing sorted out on either IR or KJR's end.

For inch worming an arm. The Lee and PDGF are both "Docking Ports" which falls under the "don't use them" category...... This is where I actually tell you how to use them :)

Inch working with RKE parts only..... Not possible. Inch worming with a modified LEE using a KIS magnet module alongside the docking port module.... Totally possible. If you build an arm like so.

Base ship / PDGF / LEE / RKE Spacer / Probe core - suggest procedural probe core here / rest of arm.

Then simply position the arm to magnetize the opposite end back to the base ship once it has been undocked from said ship at the starting "base" of the arm.

In essence you are making the arm it's own "Vessel" So when undocked it will function on it's own. (Don't forget batteries to power the magnet and move the arm once undocked from the base ship)

The issue here is IR works on a principle of "power input" through the base node only. So imagine all power and commands come from a probe core. And will only work if said commands are flowing through the base of an IR component. Flow those commands backwards and everything goes pear shaped. This is why Inch worming is not possible with docking ports only. Dock the arm backwards and now all the commands are running backwards through the arm. So the end of the part with the yellow marking - in the case of IR Rework, is the "Base Node". Or the node facing the rear of the Hanger when you first spawn an RKE part. So the bottom of a part is always the "Base Node"

Here is a Tweaksclae / KIS MM patch I wrote a while back wich adds the KIS magnet to the RKE LEE. - If you need more help just flag me down with "@v8jester"

//RKE Kanadarm Tweakscale / KIS Patch - V8Jester

@PART[rkekarm075]
 {
     %MODULE[TweakScale]
     {
         type = free
     }
 }

@PART[rkekarm100]
 {
     %MODULE[TweakScale]
     {
         type = free
     }
 }

@PART[rkekarm200]
 {
     %MODULE[TweakScale]
     {
         type = free
     }
 }

@PART[rkekarm400]
 {
     %MODULE[TweakScale]
     {
         type = free
     }
 }

@PART[rkekarm600]
 {
     %MODULE[TweakScale]
     {
         type = free
     }
 }

@PART[rkekelbow]
 {
     %MODULE[TweakScale]
     {
         type = free
     }
 }

@PART[rkeklee]
 {
     %MODULE[TweakScale]
     {
         type = free
     }
 }

@PART[rkeklee]
 {
	MODULE
	{
		name = KASModuleMagnet
		breakForce = 10
		attachToEva = False
		minFwdDot = 0.9961947
		powerDrain = 4
	}
 }

@PART[rkeklee]
 {
     @mass = .05
 } 

@PART[rkekpdgf]
 {
     %MODULE[TweakScale]
     {
         type = free
     }
 }

@PART[rkekpdgf]
 {
     @mass = .05
 } 

@PART[rkekrotor]
 {
     %MODULE[TweakScale]
     {
         type = free
     }
 }

@PART[rkekrotor2]
 {
     %MODULE[TweakScale]
     {
         type = free
     }
 }

@PART[rkekspacer]
 {
     %MODULE[TweakScale]
     {
         type = free
     }
 } 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.