[1.0.x] RKE Kanadarm v0.11.0 - May 24

spudbean

@v8jester, Three questions:

1. Where do I paste that patch for it to be effective (sorry, I'm not much of a coder)?

2. Could I edit the power draw to make the magnet unpowered?

3. Could I theoretically make one of the LEE's also a probe core via the same logic as the magnet addition, and then make that 0 power draw as well?

I'd like to make this thing work practically like the ISS arm without needing a separate power source.

49 minutes ago, Pigzippa47 said:

1. Where do I paste that patch for it to be effective (sorry, I'm not much of a coder)?

3. Could I theoretically make one of the LEE's also a probe core via the same logic as the magnet addition, and then make that 0 power draw as well?

I'd like to make this thing work practically like the ISS arm without needing a separate power source.

It's @V8jester

50 minutes ago, Pigzippa47 said:

(1) Open notepad / Notepad++ or whatever word processor you'd like, paste everything there in. Save as any name you want. Just change the file extension from ".txt" to ".cfg" Then put that .cfg file anywhere in your GameData Folder

(2) Yes - Under @PART[rkeklee] Change "powerDrain = 4" to "powerDrain = 0" in my supplied MM patch file

(3) Sorry - A command core must be setup in Unity.

You can also use the Alt+F12 cheat menu to enable "Infinite Electricity" so you don't need to worry about batteries.

Procedural Parts

Procedural Probe Cores

@V8jester OK, a few issues further after a full day of testing.

-After using the magnet on the terminal LEE to grab the hull of a ship, decoupling the primary LEE goes fine. However, almost any movement of the arm while the terminal LEE is grappled breaks the arm at the junction of the terminal LEE and the rest of the arm. 

-The structural break never occurred in any other part of the arm, including at the primary LEE. It also did not depend on what part the terminal LEE was attached to (i tried an RKE spacer, a procedural core, and I tried reinforcing the joint with a strut). It also did not depend on whether the terminal LEE  was using a magnetic connection or or a docking connection.

-In the few instances I was able to get the arm to operate long enough to reconnect to a port, docking an LEE to to a PDGF was problematic and often did not lead to any "dock". In several other circumstances, the LEE PDGF dock was acheived, but no "undock" command appeared on either the LEE or PDGF in question, making it impossible to decouple the new newly made connection. 

-I did get the chance to update KRJ, SSTU, and Infernal Robotics (from 2.0.6 to 2.0.7), and there is now a little bit of kraken behavior. Occasionally on a scene refresh, the arm loses its connections and floats away. 

Edited by Pigzippa47

11 hours ago, Pigzippa47 said:

@V8jester OK, a few issues further after a full day of testing.

-After using the magnet on the terminal LEE to grab the hull of a ship, decoupling the primary LEE goes fine. However, almost any movement of the arm while the terminal LEE is grappled breaks the arm at the junction of the terminal LEE and the rest of the arm. 

-The structural break never occurred in any other part of the arm, including at the primary LEE. It also did not depend on what part the terminal LEE was attached to (i tried an RKE spacer, a procedural core, and I tried reinforcing the joint with a strut). It also did not depend on whether the terminal LEE  was using a magnetic connection or or a docking connection.

-In the few instances I was able to get the arm to operate long enough to reconnect to a port, docking an LEE to to a PDGF was problematic and often did not lead to any "dock". In several other circumstances, the LEE PDGF dock was acheived, but no "undock" command appeared on either the LEE or PDGF in question, making it impossible to decouple the new newly made connection. 

-I did get the chance to update KRJ, SSTU, and Infernal Robotics (from 2.0.6 to 2.0.7), and there is now a little bit of kraken behavior. Occasionally on a scene refresh, the arm loses its connections and floats away. 

I will try and make a video on some IR Canadarm type stuff. I have had a lot of questions that are just really difficult to explain on a forum.

When testing, did you "hack gravity" in the alt+f12 cheat menue depending on the design of your arm it might be too heavy with RTG's or batteries.

As far as the undock command. I haven't seen that behavior yet. Also "KJR" is currently incompatible with IR 2.0.7. It will lock IR components in mid air.

Inchworming an arm is a very difficult task. I have onl seen one other YouTube video on it successfully. (Can't recall the name of said video ATM)

Ah. I didn't know that KJR was incompatible. Perhaps an uninstall of KJR would help. Definitely have been using hack gravity after I found that testing in normal surface gravity was highly problematic. Thanks for all the help, I will probably cease and desist with the whole project (and game) until I have a firmer understanding of what is going wrong, or some updates fix the specific breakage issues. 

Btw, this is the key value which seems to be in question (the IR thread suggests changing it to allow KJR to work):

<bool name="multiPartAttachNodeReinforcement">1</bool>
When I set it to 1, the LEEs are both locked in place and the arm is frozen, when i set it so 0, the arm works, but the LEE can fall off the end. 

On November 10, 2016 at 11:58 PM, Pigzippa47 said:

when i set it so 0, the arm works, but the LEE can fall off the end. 

Yeah, I'm seeing this too now. Still tinkering with IR, docking, KIS and 1.2.1. Seems like something is very different now..... Inchworming looks like it will be more of an issue this time around. I got it to work in 1.0.5 though.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On ‎12‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 5:58 AM, Ginlucks said:

hi all.

is this mod compatible with ksp 1.2.2?

Unfortunately not. Needs 3 models reworked. If anyone is familiar with IR / .mu import into Blender / Unity. I also would love to see this one fixed

• 1 month later...

Hi all, @V8jester s request I took  look at fixing this mod, and am pleased to report that it is indeed fixed and enhanced appropriately.  I have messaged spudbean in the hope of a reply, however the license does allow me to add remix etc as I chose , so should a reply not be forth coming I'll release the SM RKE Kanadarm shortly.

12 hours ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

Hi all, @V8jester s request I took  look at fixing this mod, and am pleased to report that it is indeed fixed and enhanced appropriately.  I have messaged spudbean in the hope of a reply, however the license does allow me to add remix etc as I chose , so should a reply not be forth coming I'll release the SM RKE Kanadarm shortly.

Keeping people waiting like this surely breaks SOME License :D

On 3/30/2017 at 7:57 PM, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

He hasn't been online since September 2015, so I doubt we're going to hear anything from him.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.