How do I install this Video Card [Please Help]

LostElement

I have an AMD Radeon HD 7560D, my friend gave me his old video card, a Nvidia GT 630. I am going to install it and I am wondering if I am going to do it right.

Now I am going to list the steps I would do to install the video card and I want you guys to tell me if it's right.

Step1.) Turn off computer, let it sit for a little bit.

Step2.) Ground yourself, open up computer; clean the inside

Step3.) Take the GT 630, Install it into the PCI Express port

Step4.) Close it back up, turn on computer

Step5.) Confirm that the computer registers a new Driver (but it wouldn't be active)

Step6.) Go the the Nvidia Website, install the GT 630, let it do its thing

Step7.) Take the monitor output cable out of the Integrated

Step8.) Take the monitor output cable and plug it into the GT 630's Input.

Is this right? More to it? Wrong?

Edited by LostElement

The 7560d is an integrated gpu built into the AMD A8 APU, so as long as you have a fre pci express slot, you should be able to install your nVidia card no problem. The only thing you should need to do is go into the BIOS after installing the card and telling the computer to use the PCI express graphics instead of the integrated gpu. Then download and install the drivers for the new card.

When you turn the computer on, there's usually something that says "press F2 or F12 for setup". Once you're in there, look for a menu that says graphics or display. There should be a option to choose on board or pci X. Choose PCI X, then save and restart computer. Boot into Windows, install new graphics drivers from nVidia website.

hope that helps.

Maybe you should get someone who is good with that stuff looking for your PC...

You should definetly look up the names of the GPU (and other parts of the PC) so we can help you. The first thing to check is if the powersupply is good enough to support the GPU but we would need the names for that.

Did you install the card yet? If so, you could try this utility to update your graphics driver... http://www.geforce.com/geforce-experience

I can't guarantee it will work, but worst case it will just give you an error message. I would suggest contacting your friend to find out what model the graphics card is, and maybe he could help you install it as well. I do agree with Elthy, you're going to need to be sure that your power supply is up to the task, especially if you are installing this card into a big brand off the shelf PC.

I would expect if he simply installs it, Windows can recognize the card and load a basic driver to get it running, then he can try Winfows Update or the nvidia utility posted above to get the "right" one?

That's what I remember working from…geez, it's been five years since I installed a graphics card.

I would post a picture, but I cannot do that from my phone. Forum won't let me. It says MSI on it. I don't have it near me (school). When I get home I will try to find the model number.

- - - Updated - - -

I got this computer from Best Buy for 650$ It runs well. The graphics card came from my friends computer. The Graphics Card came with the computer, which he bought for 800$. So it's nothing special, but I suspect its better than my AMD Radeon HD 7560D

I would expect if he simply installs it, Windows can recognize the card and load a basic driver to get it running, then he can try Winfows Update or the nvidia utility posted above to get the "right" one?

That's what I remember working from…geez, it's been five years since I installed a graphics card.

correct, he get basic resolution and functionality until he installs the correct driver.

´MSI´ is the manufacturer. They just build GPU-cards ´on licence´. As do many other manufacturers. So it doesnt matter. What matters is that it is an nvidia chip sitting on it. Look on their (nvidia) website for drivers - these days, the two major developers are just AMD/ATI and NVIDIA - if i am not mistaken they both use standard drivers that work for most of their models.

Now i just need to get my computer to use the New card, instead of the integrated

You plug your monitor cable into the output on the graphics card instead of the video output on the motherboard. On desktops you can't switch between the integrated GPU and Dedicated one on the fly without unplugging cables and weird setups.

Edited by ZedNova

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.