Kupiter 2 for the nostalgic, a Jupiter 2 (TV show) model for KSP

MLWostal

Introducing the Kupiter 2 for KSP.

2crm5nb.jpg

Pieces Parts.

1. The Kupiter 2 main ship. Found in the PODS section.

This provides space to 6 Kerbinauts without the need for cryogenic hibernation. A science storage facility resides here as well.

It also houses the ships main drive. A Keutronium Annihilation drive which is very powerful in space but near useless in low atmosphere.

2. The Kupiter 2 Astrogator. Found in the UTILITY section. The big white ball. :)

This provides a means to switch from an upward perspective to a forward one for better Navball usage.

3. The Kupiter 2 Lift Engine. Found in the ENGINES section.

This is the sole means of liftoffs and landings for the vessel.

Though powerful, it is actually only efficient near a planet.

4. The Kupiter 2 Launch stand. Found in the STRUCTURAL section.

Well, it's to hold the ship until you launch it.

The ship uses Keutronium to feed it's onboard reactor. This reactor, in addition to providing needed electricity, provides a small amount of Plasma, hereafter called KPlasma2. This KPlasma2 is channeled through plasma storage containers to the ships engines and is used to provide the thrust needed for space travel, or to lift the ship a feet meters to get Jebediahs toes out from under one of the landing pads.

Though it might seem as if this means unlimited fuel, that is not the case. There is a finite amount of Keutronium that can be stored aboard the vessel and it is used, always. Even just sitting on the launch pad will use a tiny amount. During flight, additional Keutronium can be feed into the reactor greatly increasing the amount of KPlasma2 produced but at the same time, reducing what Keutronium the vessel has. If the ship runs out, everything dies. There are no Keutronium gas stations in space (at this time.)

Small tutorial for controlling the ship (at present as I try to find a better way) :)

Flying the vessel from lift off to landing on the Mun.

Assemble the ship and head to the launch pad, making sure to set up staging properly. There will be 2 engines shown. I highly recommend setting only the lift (bottom) engine to ignite at liftoff.

Using the lift engine, and watching your on board supply of KPlasma2, carefully lift to at least 20 to 25K meters then either reduce lift thrust or shut it down completely by disabling it.

Click on the main ship and enable the engine there.

Click on the Astrogator and choose 'control from here' to set the navball to forward motion.

Apply the throttle to the thrust you like and sail on to space and beyond.

The main ship has, in its context menu, a button to enable or disable Plasma Bleed-off. This is how you recharge the plasma in the containment bottles used as fuel for the drives.

To land is pretty much the reverse of that process. Just remember to shift from Main Engine to Lift Engine for landing and choose 'control from here' on the main ships context menu. A trip to the Mun is pretty short and not much will be noticed with the Keutronium but a trip to Eve, even one that takes only 25 days, can use a substantial amount of it and trying to get to Jool... Not tried that myself but I think it can make it and back as long as an optimal course is used.

Licensing because they say I have to use it. :)

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License.

Let me know if I goofed on the license. Legalese is corn fusing.

The Link!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7ota114wvriubqz/Kupiter2GameData.zip?dl=0

This parts mod was made because, well, I loved the show when I was young (yep, saw the original broadcasts) and still love the idea. Love a lot of the older SciFi shows actually. Now, I can finally fly the Jupiter 2, er, the Kupiter 2 and crash on my own planets! I am still learning and make lots of mistakes but I also try to correct anything I've done wrong. I've used this mod in my main KSP game with no ill effects other than losing a Kerbal here and there as I've updated the ship and forgot to get my people off the old one before the update. Oops. But all other ships are behaving normally. But, as with anything, PLEASE load it into a new game to test on your system. That is one thing I can't be held responsible for. Trust me, done enough of that myself to learn it the hard way. Backup before update. :)

Keutronium is used because the original TV show used Deutronium as the fuel. So, took the startup screen to heart and added K to every word. Sorta. :)

KPlasma2 is used just in case some other mod is already using a Plasma, KPlasma, K-Plasma or any variation there of. Didn't want to cause anyone grief with a resource headache.

The ship is red because well, the game already has grey, white and black color themes fully covered and since I started near christmas, what other color compliments Kerbals better?

In the works.

1. The Landing pod from the 3rd season. Actually, that's almost finished but due to animation limitations without addition plugins I'm holding off on that. MeCripps is testing it to see where I messed up :)

2. IVA for the Kupiter 2. Thinking of either have the Robot waving it's arms about in front of 6 frozen Kerbals or actually making the first deck of the craft. Both will be fun to do.

3. IVA for the Landing pod as well. Easier than the Kupiter 2 since it's smaller. Though any IVA will not be 'easy'

These are in addition to getting the landing gear to actually behave like landing gear with real suspension and figuring out how to get lights to work with the toggle at the top of the GUI

Would like to hear any positive remarks but definitely want to hear negative ones, especially if it's a crash or problem the part caused a person. This is for fun so I hope I don't ruin anybody's.

Forgot one thing. Ignore the cheesy, bad textures. It's the best I can do for now. Another thing I have to work on. :/

Edited by MLWostal

Sure, if you want the textures here they are. Included is the uvmap for the lander as well. The astrogator has no uvmap. It's just specular. And, the square area on the lower hull with the warning hashes is where the Lander Bay will be.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qtdsn4nnrffmaz5/Kupiter2Textures.zip?dl=0

Good luck with them! Seems correcting a problem in color on one item caused another to have a dark/light/wrong color line on another. And, MSPaint bytes! Gimp is fine for fancy stuff but I have difficulty doing the base work with that application.

The actual launch stand had steps in the center of it leading up to the walkway but that just adds more poly's to slow down the render engine. Why I left it out. If you want, I can put them in it though for closer realism. (LOL, realism in a TV shows spaceship) :)

• 3 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.